Size and HP ???

/ Size and HP ??? #21  
The biggest difference between the BX and B is ground clearance. Flat land would normally mean a BX will do it from what you describe ....except for the depth of snow factor which we don't face in Ky.:)
I've owned several Bs and BXs. I currently own a B2620 FEL BH after previously owning a BX25 FEL BH and I wish I had my BX back.:)
A BX2660 is about 26 HP and the B2920 is about 29 HP so the HP is about the same. Talk to your local (where you are going to live) dealer and ask them the size for the area (snow needs).

I'm very curious why you want your BX25 back. I'm interested in basically the B and BX as you have described. Could you please provide a short comparo of the two since you have owned both? :D

Thanks! :thumbsup:

/ Size and HP ??? #22  
Agreed, you have gotten excellent advice and will just throw out a couple of more things. If you read here very long, you will notice far more people buying too small than too large; tractors seem to "shrink" once you get them home.

JOHNTHOMAS posted his philosophy on tractor buying some time ago, but I didn't keep it. For many of us, no matter how much we know or how much we study and intend to buy our "one and only" first tractor, we often realize we just didn't get it on the first shot. If you wind up in this situation, don't hesitate to rethink and buy a more suitable model. That is of course a paraphrase and maybe he will repost it for us.

I still have the first Kubota I ever bought, but have bought several of different sizes since then as needs and tasks have changed.

/ Size and HP ???
Great advice so far, Bill, and I'll just throw in two more thoughts.

First, regarding the FEL and its cost. Much of the initial cost of a FEL carries into the resale value. The FEL is so universally handy, a used tractor without one will sell quite a bit cheaper. And whatever it costs, you can't begin to imagine the number of times when it will save your - ahem - mature back on your new place. Firewood, mulch, soil, gravel, manure, block, rock, bricks, fertilizer, stumps, downed trees, the list of heavy stuff you'll need to move is endless. If the CFO was thinking you'd just do it all with a wheelbarrow, you might ask how many years she was figuring you'd have before doing everything the hard way turned you into an old man. The FEL is hands down and bar none the most useful thing you'll have for your tractor, for things you haven't even really thought about yet.

Second, keep that cab in mind when you shop for your property and figure out the landscaping. Cabs and low-hanging limbs don't go together very well, such as when mowing. Many people end up having something smaller for close-in mowing where the larger machine won't fit.

Keep asking questions and developing your game plan. There are lots of people here with good advice to learn from.

The more I think about it the more I realize a FEL is must have vs. a like to have implement. Just last night before I went to bed I was thinking how valuable a FEL would be just during the construction phase of our new home. It's difficult for me to estimate the time saved having one, but we all know that time is money. My back, priceless. :D

-- Bill --

/ Size and HP ???
Agreed, you have gotten excellent advice and will just throw out a couple of more things. If you read here very long, you will notice far more people buying too small than too large; tractors seem to "shrink" once you get them home.

JOHNTHOMAS posted his philosophy on tractor buying some time ago, but I didn't keep it. For many of us, no matter how much we know or how much we study and intend to buy our "one and only" first tractor, we often realize we just didn't get it on the first shot. If you wind up in this situation, don't hesitate to rethink and buy a more suitable model. That is of course a paraphrase and maybe he will repost it for us.

I still have the first Kubota I ever bought, but have bought several of different sizes since then as needs and tasks have changed.

I'm not sure how many hours I've spent reading various posts, but I also noticed that the VAST MAJORITY of people who regretted getting, or purchased another tractor, listed bought too small as the main reason. Could this be because they were like myself an inexperienced user?

-- Bill --

/ Size and HP ??? #25  
If you're kicking tires at a car lot, it's usually pretty obvious whether a two-seater, a minivan or something in the middle makes sense. But tractor shopping can be more complex and typically doesn't reduce down to one, two or even several factors. Acreage, topography, climate, forest vs. open land, farm vs. property care, undeveloped land vs. finished property, etc.; and that's just regarding what kind of work will be expected of the equipment. There may not be such a thing as the perfect tractor, but getting something big enough to do most things without being overwhelmed is a pretty good plan. Newbies lack a practical frame of reference for that, so it's pretty easy to underestimate.

/ Size and HP ??? #26  
Hi Scotty, thanks for your informative post.

I like Kubota's but I'm not going to overlook some of the other fine offerings available. Presently I'm still (and will continue for some time) in the learning/research phase. Because of my inexperience I'm specifically not looking at other alternatives at this time. Throwing other manufactures into the picture would only further complicate things. Once I have a better basic understanding of things, AND have purchased the property, will I know what my true needs are. Once the landscape is known the tractor sizing can be made to best meet those specific needs. And once size is known, comparing equivalent models from the various manufactures will be much easier. At least that's the way my mind works.

I understand and agree completely. In fact, I was hoping that was how you were working at the self-education..... Autodidactically.... if that's a word :). And Kubota is a great place to do that because of the range of their products and general popularity. In fact, if you start and end with Kubota you still won't be making a mistake.
John Deere is another attractive alternative because there is a huge amount of published information including corporate history (2 volumes), enthusiast organizations, and technical literature specifically designed for self-learning.

Both snow removal and mowing are prime considerations, therefore a hard cab, 4x4, and HST are a given. The annual average snowfall is 133" and it can easily drop 20" at a time. Once on the ground the snow typically stays. Based on some of the lots we've looked at I can easily see having a 500' to 600' gravel driveway. Given the above a front snow blower is the only option that I'm considering. What I'm not sure about is the "chute rotator kit". Should it be electrical or hydraulic? Given the amount of snow I'll get, is hydraulic worth the addition cost? If someone could comment on this I would appreciate it very much.

Either will do the same work. The power, simplicity, and economy of hydraulic power is is why every modern tractor comes with a hydraulic system and has optional ports available for driving more attachments. Most tractor makes - and all of the Kubotas - use what is called an "open hydraulic system". That type is simplest type of hydraulic system to understand and anyone here can help you with questions on it. Self-education again.

Originally I didn't give a FEL much thought and just about everyone recommends getting one. Snow and grass removal are my top priorities, but I'm now considering getting a FEL if the budget allows for it. The snow and grass can easily be justified to the Minister of Finance (wife), but the FEL will be a harder sell. I'm sold on the idea of having QA implements whenever possible. I'm now 58 and I've been retired for almost two years, anything that makes life easier sounds good to me. As I get older the QA implements make even more sense.

Most of the use that our loaders get is simple "lift and carry" rather than construction or snow/dirt moving. That's pretty common. I'm betting that the first time the Minister of Finance sees the FEL carry a heavy load like a stove, table, stack of bricks, or even a bunch of garden tools from one place to another....and then reflects on how doing that can benefit a retired person's back....that she will be the one to insist on the FEL.
Shopping and learning about them is half the fun,
rScotty

/ Size and HP ??? #27  
I'm very curious why you want your BX25 back. I'm interested in basically the B and BX as you have described. Could you please provide a short comparo of the two since you have owned both? :D

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Contrary to what most say, in my opinion, one can buy to big of a tractor (has to have a FEL to be a tractor:D). I've had the smallest BX1500 no FEL, it was my mower and my upper size limit was a L3240.
Now why can a tractor be to big? Hillside property plus moving them on the highway (loading/unloading) is where size matters to me. The L had me scared (on my hill side property) to the point of hunting for reasons not to do tractor stuff which I like doing. Also the thought of moving the L was unpleasant.
I believe the BX will do almost anything a B will do except for ground clearance which is why I had Bs while doing most of my first few years of landscaping on my hillside, rocky, gullied, treed property. My property is mostly tamed now with ongoing landscaping of planting and moving trees, rock walls, shrubs, grasses and moving dirt from one part of the land to other parts of my land.
The BH on the B2620 is more powerful than the one on the BX25 which causes me to jerk myself(my B 2620 tractor) around a lot which I never noticed with the BX but maybe was more used to the BX since I had it for over 2 years and used it more than any of my other tractors. Because it had a BH was one of the main reasons I used it so much. Maybe I'll get used to controlling the BH on the B2620 better after more use. Also the hillside is more scary with the B2620 FEL BH than the BX but I also scared myself a few times with the BX.
If I was back to 6 or 7 years ago with most of my work ahead of me instead of behind me I'd probably appreciate the B2620 more but at my current situation of mostly maintaing and just a few smaller new work ahead of me the BX25 seems more desirable to me but will probably hold on to it a few more years before making any trades and at that time may decide it's the best.
It's more than money, size of land, planned jobs, past experience and other individuals that think what they have bought is the answer for everyone else or those that can never have a big enough or powerful enough tractor that has to be considered. As TripleR mentioned about my philosophy of tractor buying, I may see if I can find it and repost.:)
Oh yah, get a FEL if you want to do anything more than mow the grass or operate a tiller. I thought On my first and last for my lifetime purchase 9 years ago BX2200 MMM FEL that it was an expensive whellbarrow but why not, will never do it again so bought it to have it. It made the difference between daylight and dark but of course it also caused me to start trading tractors after deciding they are more than big expensive lawn mowers.:cool2: :D :cool2:.

/ Size and HP ??? #28  

Found it.:D
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/202224-buying-first-test-tractor.html

/ Size and HP ??? #29  
I've never felt my B3030 or my B3000 was too big. I started on a one acre property in town, completely flat property, with a BX sized machine. I am now on just over 2 acres of hilly property, and love the B series. I thought the B3030 would be all I'd need for many years, however, the lack of a cab was tough in winter blizzards. I was so pleased with the size of the big B, that I essentially traded for the exact same machine, but with a cab.

I don't see ever outgrowing this machine, unless I end up on a very large property. And if that ever happens, I'd probably buy a bigger machine, but keep the B.

Based on my experience, I'd say a B is probably on the large size for a flat one acre lot. Anything over 1 acre, and the B is a decent size.

Your issue is that a BX would probably work fine, but you wouldn't have a very nice cab. If you want a decent cab, and plan to spend a good portion of your year in the cab, it'd be worth it just to go with the factory cab B series. Again, on just one acre, the B would be a bit on the large side. If you end up with 2 or 3, and can afford the B, go with that - you'll never outgrow it.