Size and HP ???

/ Size and HP ??? #1  

2Bad4u

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370
Hey everyone.

Here's the deal. Ideally we are looking for 1 to 3 acres of oceanfront property in PEI to build on and retire, but up to 10 acres is not out of the question. We will NOT be farming the land but the wife will most likely do some gardening. Most of the properties we've seen is relatively flat or gently sloping, and the annual snowfall averages 133". The primary tractor needs is a front end snow blower and a MMM. I can also see wanting a FEL and a box blade.

Here's the problem. I know VERY little about tractors and do not know which size to buy or how much HP is needed. I realize that the actual land will determine my needs, but working with the above information, what do you suggest. I do not want to over or under work the tractor. I'm looking for some guidance here because I'm just too new to tractors.

Should I be looking at a BX series sub-compact or a B series compact, and how much HP do I need?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers!
-- Bill --

/ Size and HP ??? #2  
When I bought my first tractor I listened to the salesperson and purchased a FEL. I would not buy another tractor without a FEL unless it was an older model that I would strictly pull a brush cutter with. You did not say anything about a cab on the tractor. I will let others with snow experience reply on what you need for where you live. If your drive is going to be a long gravel one then my suggestion is a land plane to keep it in shape. Another suggestion is to buy a few more HP than you think you need. You will find a use for the extra HP once you figure out how much you can do with the tractor. I'm going to throw out there a B2920. The Kubota site lists a front mounted snow blower for the unit.

/ Size and HP ???
First of all thanks for the quick reply. Considering the winter requirements a cab would be very useful. Can a heater also be installed? I suspect that I'll have a long gravel driveway, most likely around 500 to 600 feet because typically the lots are long and narrow (150' x 675'). As for the land plane, could a box plane be used instead, or would I be better off with a land plane? Please bear with me because I'm new to all of this.

I was looking at the B2920 and thought that it would be a good choice. However, not having any experience I had no idea if it was over powered/built for my needs. That's why I thought that the BX series may be a better and less expensive solution. Getting the right tractor is more important to me that saving a few dollars.

-- Bill --

/ Size and HP ??? #4  
With ten feet of snow to blow you will want at least a soft cab for sure. You can add a heater to a cab and most hard cabs come with them as well as AC. I have more land then you are looking at so have a bigger tractor with a soft cab. It works well and I have not needed a heater as the heat from the transmission is right under your seat. More then enough when you are dressed for the outside.
011613135632_zps7385ebc2.jpg

Enjoy your tractor shopping.

/ Size and HP ??? #5  
The biggest difference between the BX and B is ground clearance. Flat land would normally mean a BX will do it from what you describe ....except for the depth of snow factor which we don't face in Ky.:)
I've owned several Bs and BXs. I currently own a B2620 FEL BH after previously owning a BX25 FEL BH and I wish I had my BX back.:)
A BX2660 is about 26 HP and the B2920 is about 29 HP so the HP is about the same. Talk to your local (where you are going to live) dealer and ask them the size for the area (snow needs).

/ Size and HP ??? #6  
I don't see anything in your description that you couldn't handle with a BX series tractor. The front blower works well even in 20" snow storms and it will pull a box blade just fine. You would most likely want a cab which is after market but certainly available, including heat.

image-2055714340.jpg

image-3489524605.jpg

The BX series is a great mowing machine and will lift about 525 pounds conservatively in the loader. The B series is larger and heavier and available with more hp but it doesn't really sound like you need that from your description.

Just my opinion, ymmv.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Size and HP ??? #7  
Very good advice by other members on which I can't improve, John lives in the same type of weather as I and we don't get much snow, so it's hard to tell. I can say I have used mine in snow and it worked "OK", but our snows are pretty infrequent and it was dragging it's bellly coming out of the barn.

You are, it looks like, in that gray area in which either a BX or B will get the job done. I've not owned both like John, but looked closely at them and agree that ground clearance or lack thereof is what really stands out. I chose a BX because I have other tractors if needed, if I didn't I would have gone with a B Series. I personally prefer the B2630/3030, 3000 and new equivalent over the Bxx20, but the bBxx20 works for many and is very popular. The more ground you have, in my opinion, the more the scale tips in the direction of the B as they tend t be smoother over rough ground.

As to the Land Plane/Grading Scraper such as this: Dirtworking | Land Pride[0]=field_dirtworking%3A100

Or the box scraper, I guess that is another of those never ending debates and there are some very long threads on here about them. I find the box scraper more useful over all, but for road maintenance solely they are really easy to use. Everything Attachments has some videos on box scrapers and grading scrapers.

As mentioned, John has owned several and his old threads have a lot of good information on them and you might want to also look up a couple by bp fick. I know some other members have owned both, but their names escape me.

As always, while my preference is generally Kubota, it is always a good idea in my opinion to shop all brands and if you know nothing about tractors try to rent the size you think you might want and use it for a couple of days to get a baseline for comparison.

Good luck.

/ Size and HP ??? #8  
What ever brand you chose,with that much snow(I live in the north) you want a Factory cab for sure.The add on cabs don't seal well,are noisey and lack AC.Crazy to run a front snow-blower with-out a cab.Look at the "B" series Kubota for sure.

/ Size and HP ???
A lot of great advise here - thanks everyone. Unless we end up with some hilly property it looks like the BX2670 may be the ticket.

Must haves:
  • Front mounted snow blower
  • MMM
  • Hard cab
Would like to have:
  • FEL
  • Box plane
With respect to the "Chute Rotator Kit" for the snow blower. Is the hydraulic kit worth the additional expense over the electric kit?

Also, does Kubota offer a hard cab for the BX series (I couldn't find any), or do I have to go 3rd party?

The weather forecast for tomorrow is calling for rain so I won't be working on any boats. Sounds like a good day to go down to the local Kubota dealer and have a closer look. :licking: I better sew my pockets before I go in the showroom. :D

-- Bill --

/ Size and HP ??? #10  
A lot of great advise here - thanks everyone. Unless we end up with some hilly property it looks like the BX2670 may be the ticket.

Must haves:

[*]Front mounted snow blower
[*]MMM
[*]Hard cab

Would like to have:

[*]FEL
[*]Box plane

With respect to the "Chute Rotator Kit" for the snow blower. Is the hydraulic kit worth the additional expense over the electric kit?

Also, does Kubota offer a hard cab for the BX series (I couldn't find any), or do I have to go 3rd party?

The weather forecast for tomorrow is calling for rain so I won't be working on any boats. Sounds like a good day to go down to the local Kubota dealer and have a closer look. :licking: I better sew my pockets before I go in the showroom. :D

-- Bill --

I have the electric chute rotator and it seems pretty slow. The videos of the hydro ones seemed to work a lot faster but I don't have any personal experience with it. Kubota doesn't make a factory cab for the BX series. The first kubota offering with a factory cab is the B3000. Great tractor but you are talking $37k in US for the tractor with loader, mower, and blower. The BX series runs quite a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet