Which tractor?

/ Which tractor? #1  

redrocketship

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I'm buying a house and 149 acres next month. The land is flat and mainly open. There are some wooded areas. I'm going to get a tractor/FEL and bush hog at first. I plan on doing some food plots and a garden at some point. After doing some research, I want 4wd and HST. I was looking at the L4600, but when I went to a dealer, he pushed me toward the MX5100. I think the main reason he did was because he had 2 of them on his lot. The MX4700 specs out real close to the L4600 and the price is about the same. For what I'm going to do, am I looking at the right size tractor? Should I be looking at the L series or for about the same money, get a MX series tractor? Thanks for any suggestions.

/ Which tractor? #2  
the dealer was right steering you towards the MX5100HST 4x4 with LA844 quicktatch loader.thats the tractor that i have an its spent the last 2 winters putting out an hauling hay.plus it has a 52 to 55hp engine.an its the ideal size todo everything on 150ac farm like shredding an running a tiller for your gardens.an if you get cattle it can move the round bales with ease.

/ Which tractor? #3  
I would agree with your dealer. With the amount of acreage you have there are many things you can do, and horsepower is always welcome. That the tractor is on his lot allows him to make you a better deal than if he has to order it, all in your favor.

/ Which tractor?
Another question, all the tractors on his lot have R4 tires. Is it easy to switch them out for Ag tires? Are dealers willing to do that?

/ Which tractor? #5  
No doubt the MX5100 is a nice tractor, but my inclination would be to go bigger to an M series, depending on how much you will be mowing and other chores; tasks can often ***** acreage, but that is a lot of land.

/ Which tractor? #6  
redrocketship,

Yes, the dealer can change to R1 Ag tires with no problem. Ag tires are cheaper than R4, so he should either adjust the price or throw somehting of equal value, rear remote?

/ Which tractor? #7  
The MX 5100 offers a lot for the money, however, with the acreage that you have I agree with Triple R. Something in the 80 hp range would probably suit you better. It is considerably more money, but it is larger, heavier, and moves from the compact series. The MX's are on the Grand L frame. Granted it is the largest of the L series, but still smaller than the M series. However, if money is an issue and generally it is the MX may well be the best value tractor that Kubota offers. Unless you have a lot of turf to cover that you don't want to damage go with the Ag tires. They do give you a lot more traction.