BX25d mower deck question

/ BX25d mower deck question #1  

Soapandbacon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I've been lurking for quite some time and am almost ready to pull the trigger on a bx25d. This will be my first scut pirchase as well as first big mowing deck. Ive been encouraged by my neighbor to purchase a 54 inch deck , so not knowing anthing else , thats what ive priced out. The dealer I'm working with has offered me a 60 inch deck for the same price as the 54 (only after the negotiations started getting serious ) I suspect it's because he has 60's in stock and he has to order a 54. My property is still "raw" and I really don't need to mow all tgat much yet, so I don't have any special constraints or needs ( that I know of) I've read a buch of threads and am still debating , can you all give me some pro's or cons to the 60" deck? I figure why not if the price is the same ($1696, that's the lowest price I could find for the 54) any comments are appreciated. Also curious about any other differences between the two . Thanks in advance.

/ BX25d mower deck question
Just an added thought, the best quote I have so far is $19,200 for the bx25d, three point hitch, quick hitch on the loader, mowing deck, 12" bucket and thumb, that's out the door delivered. Any thoughts ? High low ? Should I try for better? Thanks.

/ BX25d mower deck question #3  
I use a 60 inch deck. It shortens the cutting time and helps eliminate some trimming. The deck sticks out further on the left side allowing you to cut under / around things. It does leave a nice cut in my opinion.

/ BX25d mower deck question #4  
I had a BX2200 with a 60inch MMM, and liked it pretty well. I just bought a new BX25 and bought a 54inch MMM. I thought I would like the 54 better because it was a little narrower and easier to maneuver. It does seem to be a little easier to get in tight places...but I have noticed that extra 6 inches on the 60 sure did seem to make a big difference when mowing large areas. I guess after owning both, if your property is fairly level and over 2 acres, I'd buy the 60 inch deck again. If the property is less than 2 acres or has lots of uneven ground (dips and washouts) I'd buy the 54. But, I guess after more thought, anything more than 2 acres, I'd seriously consider the 60. I have 2.5 acres of pretty decent mowing and kind of wish I had bought the 60 now. But I still like the 54 for ease of maneuverability and it is a little lighter when you have to take it off and sharpen blades ect. Good luck with your decision.

/ BX25d mower deck question
I think it's the 60" for me! Somewhere I remember reading about some kind of difference between the 54 vs 60, the 60 having some sort of "floating" feature? Or am I just confused from too much cross brand comparison?

Any thoughts on the pricing that I have?

Thanks in advance.

/ BX25d mower deck question #6  
Unless you have a physical limitation (gate or storage area) that the 60" won't fit through/in....... Get the 60". Your machine has plenty of power to run it. You will get more done in less time and the extra 6" of deck will make it easier to cut around obstacles.

/ BX25d mower deck question #7  
You can install wheel spacers with the 60" deck (also with the 54" but one side has to be narrower?) The 60" deck is heavier and will provide more ballast if mowing on hills.

/ BX25d mower deck question #8  
Both the 54 and 60 stick out on the left side. The 60 Aldo sticks out on the right side. So if you have a 54 like I do you have to trim with left side. It is not that big of deal since the discharge shoot is on the right side anyways.

/ BX25d mower deck question #9  
I really like my 60 on my BX after moving up from 38 and 42 from a cheapo tractor. I found that if I have a tree in the way between an object, even with a 54 its too close. I would move it with backhoe. It's easier to move things for long term mowing to make things simple and smooth mowing then it is to try to make things work with smaller stuff. If you cant fit in an area smaller then 60- then it might be a good idea to do things with a push mower/string trimmer which most of us still have.

to soapandbacon- all BX mower decks are floating.

/ BX25d mower deck question #10  
I think it's the 60" for me! Somewhere I remember reading about some kind of difference between the 54 vs 60, the 60 having some sort of "floating" feature? Or am I just confused from too much cross brand comparison?

Any thoughts on the pricing that I have?

Thanks in advance.

From what I remember, the 60" has a self leveling (side to side) feature. I think that's what you're thinking of when referring to floating.