M5140 or smaller non turbo?

/ M5140 or smaller non turbo? #1  

adkalex

Tractor
2012 Kubota M5140DT
I recently posted a pricing question on a used 2012 m5140 with FEL and woods bh90x for $35,000. I have 85 acres mostly wooded. I snow blow around half a mile of drive way and rough mow about 4 acres. I have never owned a backhoe, but have used one and it will be very handy for all types of work including driveway maintenance and general homestead work. I do light land clearing for food plots and trail maintenance as well as firewood for the boiler. Is this too much tractor? I just sold my 2000 New Holland 1720 with 60" bucket. It was a great tractor, but I wanted a new one with a backhoe and more power for a larger brush hog and blower as well as i wanted a backhoe. The tubo makes me nervous. Am I asking for problems? What about the EGR. I think the 2012 m5140 has it. Will this tractor be appropriate? I try to do my own maintenance when possible and only have a friend with a large truck and trailer move it when it needs to be moved, which is rare. Can I do most of the servicing like on my old New Holland or will this be more complicated? It seems like a good price and close to what I was going to be paying for a new 40 hp New holland with backhoe. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

/ M5140 or smaller non turbo? #2  
First of all a few carriage returns and blank lines greatly improve readability. :)

I recently posted a pricing question on a used 2012 m5140 with FEL and woods bh90x for $35,000.

I have 85 acres mostly wooded. I snow blow around half a mile of drive way and rough mow about 4 acres. I have never owned a backhoe, but have used one and it will be very handy for all types of work including driveway maintenance and general homestead work. I do light land clearing for food plots and trail maintenance as well as firewood for the boiler. Is this too much tractor?

I just sold my 2000 New Holland 1720 with 60" bucket. It was a great tractor, but I wanted a new one with a backhoe and more power for a larger brush hog and blower as well as i wanted a backhoe. The tubo makes me nervous. Am I asking for problems? What about the EGR. I think the 2012 m5140 has it. Will this tractor be appropriate?

I try to do my own maintenance when possible and only have a friend with a large truck and trailer move it when it needs to be moved, which is rare. Can I do most of the servicing like on my old New Holland or will this be more complicated?

It seems like a good price and close to what I was going to be paying for a new 40 hp New holland with backhoe. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

I hadn't seen your prior thread.
Thanks, it does seem like a very good price. The backhoe is aftermarket and it is not HST, I priced it out very carefully and came up with $45,000 new. It is a little more tractor than I was looking for, but that is a good thing. If I can get it, I will and post pics. Thanks for the reply.
If that was $45K NEW full price on Kubota's "Build it" website you need to figure in that many Kubota dealers will discount 10% to 15% off list. Thus $34.5K for a tractor with 50 hours is a good price IMHO, especially if it had a 50 hour service done (all fluids etc.). (I do realize that some dealers don't discount at all).

I may have missed it but is it 4WD? I think for work in the woods 4WD is important.

A backhoe on a tractor is just a TOY compared to a mini-ex. The only advantage is that you can move a lot faster. That's why I have one :)

Your planned uses, with the exception of snow, is what I'm going to be doing in Mississippi (and maybe Vermont).

I too was looking for a 40HP tractor when I got my 1995 M4700 (same engine, non-turbo), but I needed a tractor THEN and $12K was too good to pass up.

I think that if you are on a tight budget the M5140 will be at the upper range of what you need. But be careful of using the words
Is this too much tractor?
. Many readers here consider that vile profanity!!

There have been recent discussions on turbo vs non-turbo Kubotas and if memory serves there are not many problems with the turbo.

Servicing, if it's anything like my situation (B7610 and M4700) means you may move up a size in wrenches and buy more oil. Also I don't have to bend over as far to reach things :) The biggest problem I'm envisioning is trying to manhandle the rear tire if I have to. But I guess the B7610 will help out.

And remember with Tier 4 coming in your M5140 may go up in value.

Reads like you've found a fair deal and it will fit your needs.

By the way did you check with Barlow's? They've a 5140DT for sale I think.

/ M5140 or smaller non turbo? #3  
theres no need tobe afraide of having a turbo on that tractor.you always let your tractor warm up before heavy use.an cool down after heavy use before killing it.so a turbo is no prob at nor is it an expense.

/ M5140 or smaller non turbo?
Thanks for the reply and the advice.

Wow, great reply. Spacing does improve readability. I will keep this in mind.

The tractor is 4wd and has hydraulic thumb. I do not foresee any heavy digging.

This is just what I wanted to hear. I am going to go see it next week. Hopefully everything works out.

I have not heard of Barlow's, but I will check. Thanks again.

/ M5140 or smaller non turbo? #6  
Really can't add anything to what other members have said, we run an L5740 and M8540 both with turbos which replaced NA engines of the same size and power, just stick with what bigbull338 said about warmup and cool down and it will be no more maintenance or operator effort than a NA engine.

You guys are great. I hope the deal goes through. Thanks again