Sanity check !!!

/ Sanity check !!! #11  
I can't comment on the size since my tractors are bigger (and smaller) then those. I would like to throw in my 2cents about the backhoe though, for what it's worth. 17 years ago I moved on to our first 5 acre piece. When my wife saw the tractor I think her first comment was "Why do we need that digging thing (backhoe)? What could you use that for? Just about the first time she went to plant something she hit one our famous buried bowling balls. (Old timers call them spuds and melons) I scooped it out and she was won over. When you transplant something into hard ground you also have to loosen the surrounding and lower soil if you want to give it a fighting chance. Although the post hole digger would do a good job too, I think the backhoe is less stressful on the tractor in hard or rocky ground if you go slow. And don't try to figure out what you're going to do with the tractor right now. Sure things do come to mind but you will find all kinds of things after you have it awhile. It can be a real body saver. A lot of guys my age (ain't 50 but danged near) still think they are Mr. Macho when it comes to moving debris, rocks, ENGINES, etc. (Yes I know you can slip a disc picking up a pencil), the tractor I bet will save you some pain. If you get one with the HST (like my BX2200) you may have to fight your wife to use it. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

del [email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Sanity check !!! #12  
Since I already threw in my 2 cents I feel OK to jump off the topic for a second since you brought up turning Mark. I saw some NH model on a lot today, (dealer closed) and it looked unless the thing was BROKEN that the entire differential assembly in the front pivots. It was a pretty good sized tractor L4610ish I'd say but looked like it could really turn, if you dared to try it for fear of "normal" tractor folks fainting when they saw the front end move! Any ideas what that was I could have seen?

/ Sanity check !!! #13  
That's one of those 'SuperSteer' Boomers. I have never seen it in action, but the idea sounds/works good... only problem is with something about the loader clearance with that pivot. Maybe a NHer can explain that one. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ Sanity check !!! #14  
I'd say what you saw was a New Holland tractor with "SuperSteer". It does look funny, but boy will they ever turn sharp. Pity they can't get it all together, though.

Mark

/ Sanity check !!! #15  
I've got the sales brochure...brocure...broshure...,uh, that shiny paper thing that says how great the tractor is, right in front of me. The B7400/7500 have no position control. Neither does the BX series. The 2410 does. All of them have float on the loader. The 7500 takes either the LA272 or the LA302 loader (why would you go with the slower, weaker one??), so lift capacity is 770 pounds. the 2710/2910 loader lifts 1060, and the 2410 is in the middle at 925. Somebody referred to the 2410 and 7500 as almost the same machines - this certainly was true of the 1700/2100/2400 which were identical except for motor displacement, but apparently Kubota made some cost cutting changes to the 7400/7500 to lower purchase price, and left the 2410 unchanged. If I were buying today, it would be the 2410.

/ Sanity check !!! #16  
Mark, can we maybe settle on 60/40 benefit ratio? Large to small.
Anyhow, my neigbor and I was working on cutting tops for firewood this weekend on my property. There is a small ravine that can be a little muddy and the hills can be a little steep. This is where his L2900 really shines with the extra size, weight and traction. But when trying to scoot around trees and the like my B2710 is like a scared rabbit being chased by a big black bear or something like that. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of traction when loaded down but his is just better. I would not try to mow my lawn with his L2900, however seeing what the larger tractor can do I would not want to go any smaller for my application. I can see though that the 2710 may even be a little large in some situations. What is a guy to do? Buy one of each? Once again you have to determine what you are doing, make a guess and then test it out if you have a dealer willing to let you.

/ Sanity check !!! #17  
JonE, if I were going to "settle" on a ratio, if would have to be closer to 90/10, but I'm an admitted power monger and therefore also admit to considerable bias in that direction.

And what a silly /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif question, when directed to a bunch of tractor guys, and me, in particular: "What is a guy to do? Buy one of each?" Of course we're supposed to buy one of each! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I know I sure wish I had one of each...

Mark

/ Sanity check !!! #18  
Hi Rick,
I live in SE Mass (Rochester, to be specific). Last fall I bought a B2100 with a loader to do landscaping on my 3ac lot. We just built the house and when I got prices for landscaping, it became easy to justify the cost of just about any tractor. I got the 2100 because it seemed to be adequate for my needs and it has proven to be an incredible machine. I can't believe the stuff I can do with this thing. (I grew up with OLD farmall's ~1940's and 50's at my uncles farm.)

With that said, if I were doing it today, I'd get the 2910. The extra power and weight would make jobs a bit easier an quicker. Even though the 2100 amazes me, I am cautious for fear of pushing it too hard and breaking something. Course, if I had the 2910, I'd probobly end up feeling the same way /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. The only concern I'd have about the 2910 is that it might be heavy for finish mowing (that is part of the reason I stayed with the smaller 2100) but since you don't plan on using it for that....

To justify the other 1/2....once you get the tractor, keep track of the hours on the meter, and multiply them by the going hourly rate to hire someone ($50-$70 I'm guessing). It adds up very quickly/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!!

Good luck, Mike.

/ Sanity check !!! #19  
Rick,
I have a 2710 and do both grass cutting (5' mid mount) and loader/4690 hoe work. My justification was doing construction work for a pole barn (to store the tractor and implements /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) and other work. I am very happy with the 2710 and would get the 2910 today. The weight issue may be a factor for the lawn work.

Pete

B2710/LA401/4690

/ Sanity check !!! #20  
Oh all right. I must admit everytime I see one of those HUGE JD's with 8 tires and a 15 bottom plow I tell the wife, "that would really make plowing the drive easy, wouldn't it?" Fantasizing that she'll say "well why don't you get one then!"
In reality though, my 2710 is the "optimal" size for my varied uses. I could definatly use a larger tractor and a smaller one. However, the budget only will allow one right now. I suspect others are in the same boat./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif