Sanity check !!!

/ Sanity check !!! #1  

Rick Jay

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.
Hi all!

First of all, thanks again to all of you for your informative posts. I have learned untold volumes of information by scanning the posts on this board over the past month or so.

Here is my dilemma: I am agonizing over the decision between a Kubota B7500 or B2910. (Those of you that prefer green or blue, I apologize, but it's the orange tractors that really start my heart racing.) The selected tractor will be equipped with a loader w/toothbar, backhoe, R4's, foldable ROPS (it has to fit in the garage per the wife) and possibly a posthole digger. It will not be used to cut the lawn. My faithful 14 year old (still looks and runs like new) Honda HT3813 will have that task. I expect this to be the last tractor I purchase.

Let me give you some background on my yard: We live in an average residential area in Western Massachusetts on approximately 3/4 acre with a 150' driveway. (O.K., when you guys with the 3+ acres and 2 mile driveways are done laughing, I'd appreciate it if you would keep reading. I know my property is small, but I will be able to turn the tractor around without trespassing on any neighbors yard. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

The tractor would be used mostly for various excavation projects around the house, landscaping, planting/transplanting shrubs, installing a fence (probably around 400+' of fence when we're all done), and for clearing heavy snow. Our soil is hardpan and using a shovel to dig anywhere is a tortuous task. Usually a pick-ax is necessary.

With the number of excavation/renovation projects planned in the next couple of years I can justify at least 1/4 of the cost of these units on expenses we would have to pay someone else to do the work. I can justify another 1/4 or so on it's usefulness for things I haven't even thought of yet, but I'm sure will come up. The remaining 1/2 is the trouble. I just want a new toy. I love mechanical devices and think this would be quite a learning experience. (I have always done ALL of my vehicle maintenance and actually enjoy doing this type of work.) My car is in good shape and will easily get me through the next five years, so I have no difficulty in making/justifying loan payments. (I have already been approved by Kubota Credit for an amount sufficient to buy either tractor, and money really isn't too much of an issue. Well, not to me anyway, my wife would think otherwise.)

Here is the root of my dilemma. When you get right down to it, the B2910 is just a much better deal/value than the B7500. Larger loader with greater capacity, larger backhoe, almost 50% more power, plus the other little interesting conveniences. I have always bought "top of the line" in all my purchases and have never been sorry for that. However, I know the B7500 is more than enough tractor for the uses I have planned for it. I am a little concerned that the extra size of the B2910 might "scare the neighbors" everytime I take it out of the garage. On the other hand, I can very easily adopt a "screw the neighbors" attitude and go with the B2910.

I'm open to any suggestions (if you know a good shrink, I might be able to use one). What do you all think? Am I crazy? Or am I just afflicted with much the same illness many of you have also demonstrated on this board?

Should I go with the B7500 or the B2910? Is it possible that "smaller is better" for my purposes? I should add that my local dealer has been very helpful and has not pushed me one way or the other.

Thanks again for your input. This board provides a wonderful service.

~Rick

/ Sanity check !!! #2  
Well, I don't usually get too much into the B-series discussions - I really enjoy the topics on "How can I make my L-xxxx do the same jobs as a 15-ton track-loader?" much more, but I thought I could at least inject a note of humor here.

The title "Sanity check" prompted me to think for the first time that you were perhaps addressing the wrong bunch of folks. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Then, when I saw the question "Should I get the bigger one or the smaller one?", I knew you were barking up the wrong tree. There's one or two of us here probably that will mention that the smaller one will be easier to turn around and get into tight places with, but for that most part, we're all Tim Allen "I want more power!" types, I think.

So, that out of the way, my vote goes for the B2910. Sure, the smaller one might do the job, but the larger one will do more jobs easier and faster.

Plus, if my experience with neighbors is representative, they could stand scaring once in a while... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark "Smaller may be better every once in a while, but bigger is better the rest of the time" Chalkley

/ Sanity check !!! #3  
Rick - first of all, I am one of the guys Mark mentioned who thinks smaller is OK. I have a B1700, so effectively it is the same as the 7500 you are considering. I love my tractor, it does all I want it to on my 10 acres, and if a bigger one would be better for what I do I have not yet figured out how. That being said, I have one reservation about the 7500 - I do not think it has position control for the 3 point. To me this is a big deal (especially for snow), and would cancel out that tractor from my shopping list. I may have missed something obvious here, but if you feel the 7500 is too weak and the 2910 too much, how about the 2410? Seems like a perfect compromise.

/ Sanity check !!! #4  
Rick.
Both machines can do the job.
I would go with the B2910 for the type of use your planning,and to justify the other 1/2 you shall in time.
Good luck and enjoy.

/ Sanity check !!! #5  
PaulB, excellent advice from a B-series expert! Is that what the 'B' in PaulB stands for?

Rick, if Paul is correct in saying the B7500 has no position control, I'd definitely avoid it, especially if you've used a tractor before. If you haven't and don't know what you're missing, that may be one thing, but I think a position control is indispensable.

Mark "I still think bigger is almost always better" Chalkley

/ Sanity check !!! #6  
Rick, sanity is not a prerequisite for participation in this forum /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif or for buying a tractor. Given the size of your property, the only sane thing to do is buy a small tractor like PaulB said (maybe he's trying to convince us that he's sane, but I sure do agree with Paul and Mark that I'd not consider a tractor without position control). Now that being said, darned if I'd buy the little one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I always say buy the biggest thing you can afford and have room to maneuver. Lots of folks trade up; very few trade down in size.

Bird

/ Sanity check !!! #7  
>>Lots of folks trade up; very few trade down in size.

I agree, bigger is better...but I'd don't think I could even turn my rig around on your property w/out knocking the fences down on both sides!.....Rick, what town do you live in? I also live in Western, Mass...(Goshen, NW of Northampton)

/ Sanity check !!! #8  
I think that if you could talk yourself down to a B2710 or B2410, you'd be a happy camper with plenty of power to scare the neighbor's 'MTD rider' back in the 'shed' and also scare them when you can't get enough satisfaction out of plowing just your driveway, and make your way down the street plowing up whatever gets in your way (seems to be a common syndrome users report having here!)

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ Sanity check !!! #9  
Aw, shuck's, ejb - I could even turn my L4310HST around on Rick's 3/4 acre. And that's with shims on the stops that keep it from turning as sharp as a 'normal' L4310! And no turning brakes, either! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Of course, with HST, it becomes easy to execute a 42 point turn, when necessary...

Mark

/ Sanity check !!! #10  
Went through similar agony deciding between the 2710 and the 7500--went for the 2710 and am v. happy. The position control is mandatory imo, and the bucket has float control (don't think the 7500 does)--again mandatory imo. A few thoughts: See if the 2710 has what you need. Was $2000 less than the 2910 in my case, and only a couple minor features and 2 hp missing. From your post don't think you'll miss the hp.
Didn't consider the 2410 myself, basically a 7500 with a few extra features.

Based on your expected usage, think the 27/2910 will serve you well. The extra weight, and cpacity will certainly be a benefit with non-mower work. Based on your soil conditions, would definately try to get an on-ssite trial of the 7500 if possible. If not, rent one and make sure it will do what you want. Again, the 27/2910 should be fine. Re. overall size, the 2710 is surprisingly agile--even close to my old JD455 'super mower' in dodging the trees. Felt it might be too big--not the case! As long as you have the space to store it.

Either way you'll be getting a fine piece of equipment. Good luck.