HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced

/ HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced #1  

HappyOne

Silver Member
Tractor
L5740HSTC
In looking at L40's I now see there are two versions HST-1 and HST-3 and maybe more. I undertand the new -3 incoroprated stall guard on the PTO. That's a big plus for the -3's in my opinion. What other improvements were added through the model run?

Can you tell a -3 from the serial number?

/ HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced #2  
Electric PTO switch, possibly the swivel seat, some other upgrades I can't remember. You can tell from the plate but I don't know if they published the serial number break. Glance at the side console and see the yellow PTO button - it's a -3.

/ HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced #3  
I think the -3 came out in 2010. There was a very short period in time that Kubota made a -2 but I think it wasn't much of a difference over a -1 and was produced for maybe one year, if not less. I'm not sure if the extra features are worth spending more money for but mine is a -3 and I've never operated a -1. I know some people like the lever vs the knob for the PTO. To me it doesn't matter since I use the clutch when engaging the PTO.

/ HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced
You guys have made my hunt for a new (to me) tractor much easier. While a swivel seat would be nice, it's not a show stopper. And turning on the PTO on by lever or knob gets the job done. Nice to know the stall guard works the same on all models.

Thank you

/ HST-1 vs HST-3 L40 versions and years produced #5  
It's possible that the -3 stall guard monitors the pto while the -1 doesn't. I usually keep it on but I don't always notice when it's doing it's job. My main PTO attachment is a snow blower and if I push the tractor hard going up hill I have noticed it slow down. But it does it after I notice the engine RPMs dropping so I usually just let off the HST pedal. To me the stall guard is only really needed when you're not paying attention. There's other features of the HST+ transmission that I wouldn't want to be without. The 2 speed rear hydraulic motor that can be shifted on the fly with the H-DS lever is my favorite feature. I do use the auto throttle but not all the time. I like the response knob for the HST.

The swivel seat only moves each direction by about 10 degrees. Helpful but it would be nice if it had more range. The PTO knob is a little hard to turn on with gloves in the winter but to turn it off you just need to tap it.