What can you tell from a serial number?

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
What info can I find with the serial number of a L5740?

I'm considering purchasing one, and would like as much info as I can get.

And, would a dealer have such info? I'm not buying from a dealer and don't have a relationship with any Kubota dealers, and I'm wondering if they would give me any info.

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #2  
You should be able to find what factory options it came with, what year it is, and when it was originally purchased. Finding the year could also tell you some minor differences it may have from year to year, I'm not sure if they're are many, but for instance, the JD 4720 went from one HP rating to a higher one in a certain year.

SN should tell you about everything you need to know, at least, on implements it does. I called Landpride earlier today about an implement I'm looking to buy, I gave them the serial number and they told me it was built in 1997, from there, I went to the website and found the manual for the power rake, listed by SN.

What do you want to know about the tractor? Aside from that specific one, the members on here are probably more knowledgeable on 5740's than any dealer, maybe some could even tell you something based on the SN?

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #3  
On Kubota BX models I was told the dealer could not tell the year of manufacture from the serial number. I would hope that they could on larger farm equipment though.

/ What can you tell from a serial number?
I did talk to a salesman at a local dealer today. He looked it up and said that it was first sold in 2009 in Houston. The guy I'm buying it from said it was taken as a trade at a dealer in Austin, TX. Other than that, the salesman couldn't tell me much more. But, there probably isn't much more info that isn't already readily available here and on tractordata.

And the serial number is 30112, and it's a Kubota L5740D.

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #5  
That's about all you'll likely get from the serial number. Kubota doesn't decode their serial numbers down to manufacturing dates like New Holland does for instance. Without knowing the date of manufacture for a Ford/NH you can't tell what parts you may need. With a Kubota they go strictly by serial number so there is no real neeed to know the date of manufacture. Even with the original date of sale there is no guarantee that it was first sold the same year it was built. I doubt you'll ever run into a Kubota dealer that will ask what year your machine is.

Brian

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #6  
My L5740 is 70986, was delivered to the dealer in late 2011 and I bought it in April 2012. You can tell more by the model number than the serial number - mine is a L5740D-3. The -3 had a few changes but comparing my spec sheets the change to an electro-hydraulic PTO clutch operated by a button over a manual lever engage is the only one I can easily identify. My spec sheet for the original model is dated March 08 and mine for the later series is dated September 09. I have not seen on TBN where anybody talked about having a D-2 so they may have skipped from the D to the D-3.

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #7  
I think they went from D-1 to D-3. Did the D-1 have the HST+?

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #8  
I think they went from D-1 to D-3. Did the D-1 have the HST+?

According to my old spec sheet (March 2008) the original had HST Plus. That was the spec sheet that showed the lever PTO so I knew it was an older version. I compared page by page and the only differences I spotted were the electro-hydraulic PTO clutch and the swivel seat.

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #9  
Thanks, I couldn't remember when the switch to HST+ happened.

/ What can you tell from a serial number? #10  
Interesting how my iPad put the 9 followed by a ) together as a happy face. That was supposed to say September 09 for the later pec sheet. I thought the hydro update came with the -3 too but fortunately I saved the old spec sheet.