Buying Advice BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty)

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #1  

gmikem206

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660
I'm looking at these two machines. I think I could do a little better on the new BX2360 pricing, but the used BX2660 is value priced based on all of the other similar machines I've priced, mainly on Tractor House, but also at various brand dealers locally. Both machines have same FEL, and MMM mowers (54 on 2360, 60 on 2660). All in after financing the actual cost difference is about $4K higher for the new BX2360. I have a split (lawn wise) three acres and will mow, move dirt, move rocks, lug and move fallen trees (thank you Sandy), and plow snow, initially with the bucket, may spring for rear blade. So, I kind of feel the $4k difference is enough to make me let go of the warranty security of 2yrs (extended would add $ to the 2360). I would like to hear your opinions on it. The JD dealer that has the 2660 says it is pristine (but they did have to replace a power steering hose after I expressed strong interest in it). Of course they would like me to look at a 1025, but that would make the differential to the 2660 about $4.5k. I would love to hear your input and reasons for your opinions. Also concerned about having a Kubota dealer for servicing that I did not purchase from. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #2  
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the 2660 series, however I do have a 2360 (60" mmm and FEL) with 10.5 acres (3 lawn/7.5 woods). I really have appreciated the 5' deck and haven't had any problems mowing around trees, flower beds, etc. that would make me consider wanting a smaller mowing deck.

I have also at least one occasion to make me thankful that I have warranty. The machine I bought was the last one on the lot before the dealer started getting 2370's and as a result had been sitting awhile and the rubber boots on the steering rod joints were sun rotted - dealer replaced under warranty without issue. I honestly can't say that in my case the warranty would be worth an extra 4000 but, considering how little time I have the warranty is a nice bit of peace of mind. Does the 2660 come with any type of service/parts warranty or can you buy an additional warranty on it?

Also, I couldn't tell, are the two tractors at the same dealer? If so, and you go with the 2360, I would try to negotiate for a rear blade to be included in the 4000 price jump. Don't know if they would go for it but, it couldn't hurt to try.

On the flip side if you can get an extended warranty on the 2660 and it truly is pristine, excellent condition 4000 grand can buy a lot of toys to trick out your machine, as well as pay for a fair number of things that might have been covered under warranty. That and a little extra hp can't hurt. Good luck on your decision! I don't think you can go wrong either way!

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #3  
The new BX and the new JD may have some added conveniences vs the 2660, but in terms of actual work, they'll all do about the same things equally well.

BX 2660 is a workhorse with many happy owners that should do all you mention. Certainly we have done all that and more with our earlier generation BX for more than 8 years with only the most minor of issues. It would all get down to its condition, particularly the mechanical considerations: engine, transmission and hydraulics. As with all used equipment, it needs a thorough going over before signing on the dotted line. Was it a trade-in by someone who traded up, or had something wrong with it? What's up with that hose going bad at 267 hours? However, if everything checks out OK, that's a good price.

Regardless of which one you choose, you'll want a rear blade for snow removal... fortunately they are pretty affordable as attachments go. For loader work, you'll want ballasted tires and an implement on the back for balance.

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #4  
We have bought two new BX's a 2200 and 2660 without any warranty claims, so a warranty doesn't mean too much to me personally and $4000 is a LOT of money. One of the reasons we bought the 2660 over the 2360 was the much more comfortable seat. In most things, you really won't notice the extra/less HP, but we could when pushing trees and pulling logs though most of the time you lose traction before you lose power. We could tell when using a rotary cutter or tiller, but you can do the same with the 2360, just go a little slower.

We have used 54" and 60" deck and much prefer the 60".

Regular maintenance on these things is so easy we do it ourselves. Any good dealer should work on a machine purchased elsewhere, notice I said good dealer, if they won't I don't want anything to do with them. We bought four new Kubotas from our present dealer because of the excellent service from them on a machine which we had bought from another dealer who had gone out of business.

I agree, either will work well.

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty)
Thanks for the replies and advice/opinions. The 2660 was traded into JD for a 1025 or 1026 by an "older" gentleman who decided he wanted/needed the convenience of the JD Quick Conn. systems. He didn't like getting down on ground to mount 60" MMM to pto/lifts. Dealer of course cannot vouch for owner maintenance. One reason I was thinking of the 54" deck (on new 2360) was that as I am also not so young , I thought it might be easier to handle. My local Kubota (Case) dealer seem like good people and they have two locations, so I am becoming comfortable, based on that and opinions here, that service would not be an issue. I hope to negotiate a rear blade on the new 2360 in place of the ballast box. I am also looking at the current $4k diff as "self insurance" for warranty issues. Thanks again!

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #6  
I can sure identify with the getting older thing as I am well past that. We found going from a 54" to 60" deck, we could trim closer and no longer even own a push mower.

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #7  
would the used BX2660 have any warranty time left on it?
It would seem that $4000 could do alot of repairs if needed on that size tractor
I think you should be able to see any abuse that would warrant a repair anything close to that
I for one don't mine buying something used
let someone else pay for driving it off the sales lot

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #8  
We have bought two new BX's a 2200 and 2660 without any warranty claims, so a warranty doesn't mean too much to me personally and $4000 is a LOT of money. One of the reasons we bought the 2660 over the 2360 was the much more comfortable seat. In most things, you really won't notice the extra/less HP, but we could when pushing trees and pulling logs though most of the time you lose traction before you lose power. We could tell when using a rotary cutter or tiller, but you can do the same with the 2360, just go a little slower.

We have used 54" and 60" deck and much prefer the 60".

Regular maintenance on these things is so easy we do it ourselves. Any good dealer should work on a machine purchased elsewhere, notice I said good dealer, if they won't I don't want anything to do with them. We bought four new Kubotas from our present dealer because of the excellent service from them on a machine which we had bought from another dealer who had gone out of business.

I agree, either will work well.

TripleR, you touched on something that was also the deciding factor for me when I purchased my BX2660 over the BX2360 and that was the seat. I own a B2320 and L245, in addition to the BX2660 and have used several other Kubota models over the years and the BX2260 has the most comfortable, adjustable seat of my Kubota experience. I agree that either tractor should make for a happy owner!

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty) #9  
I can sure identify with the getting older thing as I am well past that.

You're both in my good company on that score also! Definitely not as agile as in earlier days.

/ BX2660 (2010, 267 hrs) or BX2360 (New with Warranty)
Thanks. These comments are very helpful. Will actually see/drive the BX2660 on Thursday. Besides asking questions I was going to spot check fluid levels (may be an indication of good maintenance, neglect or other problem?). So there is the coolant, the oil, the tranny. How is the hydraulic fluid be checked, where would the filler/dipstick location(s) be? Oh I'll have to buy manuals also. :) Thanks.