Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #1  

BGigHarbor

Gold Member
Tractor
.l5460, bcs 725, 852
I am hoping for some opinions from experienced CUT folks on the choice between the l4240 and the l4060. I had planned to buy the l4240, but the local dealer that seems the best (and I hope to deal with over the years) does not have any and doesn't think he can get any more.

So I looked at the l4060. Had to get my head wrapped around the new tank placement and dpf, but I think I could live with those.

But a question mark for me is still what looks to me like a greater vulnerability on the l60 series of the hydrualic lines on the outside of the FEL.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/283010-my-new-l4060-hstc-pics.html

I will be using the tractor in the brush and woods some, and with a grapple a fair bit I expect.

I was wondering what experienced CUT owners thought about the routing of the FEL hydraulics on the l60 for grapple/woods/brush work?

I am pretty torn between the l40 and l60 (assuming I can even find an l4240) as through my inexperienced eye the newer configuration seems vulnerable for certain kinds of work I think I'll be doing. Thanks for any opinions.

Last edited:
   / Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #2  
You no doubt saw my comment on the other thread. If you're removing logs, limbs, brush, stumps, etc., that layout, neat as it is, would be very exposed.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing?
I did see your comment and it was my own first impression.

All the l60 series pics I have seen show the new integral front quick release lever system. I wonder if the configuration without the quick release stuff (except quick release couplers I assume) would be less exposed?

Also is there another configuration of the front hydraulics that does not lose ground clearance under the right side of the tank?

And I see a step on that side with the cab configuration, but so far not without it.

Last edited:
   / Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #4  
The "low hanging fruit" between the wheels has not been an issue on our older Grand L because it's reasonably well protected by the FEL and BH subframe assemblies. However, I wouldn't use one of these as a dedicated log skidder. A stick jumping up in just the wrong place can make a mess of just about any compact tractor. We've cleared lots of trees and hauled them out of the woods as logs, but we're really careful of what we drive over. I've seen pictures of custom skid plates some folks have added when they were really into hard core timber removal.

It shouldn't be too hard to put some shielding around the lines and quick release on that loader arm, but it would certainly be nice if it came from the factory already protected.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #5  
I've had no trouble from mine. It does hang out there a bit. I've been through some thick places, had some hard slaps on the mirrors but nothing jumped up and bit me yet. I think it would take something popping up and then the forward momentum of the tractor to really get it good.

I'll post some pics later, I seem to be having difficulty with uploading at the moment.

Would love to see any more pics when you get it figured.

What is the clearance between the ground and the main metal hydraulic tubing below the tank?

A town I sometimes drive by I think has a 40 and 60 on hand right now (l3540 just sold) so maybe I'll go look at it again in person to pay more attention to specifics.

Lot's of stuff to really like about the l60 overall otherwise. And although I won't run a cab, it seems the l60 cab is lots bigger for those that do.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #7  
See if this shows up.

20130801_172124.jpg

20130801_172220.jpg

It does, thanks.

/ Opinions on l60 vs l40, esp FEL hydraulics routing? #9  
Yeah the hydraulic lines for the loader stick out but it is not out past the tires. I think if you watch were you are going which you should be anyway you will be fine.