Buying Advice Kubota L6060 Questions

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #1  

SilverJett

Tractor
Green and Orange!
Looking into purchasing a new L6060. Also considering a 4720...but the design is very dated and the cab is cramped at best. My questions on the L6060:

-Installation of Trimble Autopilot/FMX - where is the hydraulic tank return located on the L6060? The Autopilot re-routes the steering hoses from the steering controller and diverts it through a control block, and needs to have a "tank return" in order to function. Looking through the online parts diagram doesn't show a dedicated port and I'd prefer not to go through the hyd fill port at the back.
-Will this tractor handle a JD 681 (81 inch) tiller? I've never had an HST tractor before - will the tiller "push" the tractor when operating or can the HST hold it back?
-Hydraulic capacity - various online specs do not match up - what is the actual GPM??
-Cruise control - is there a resume function? Can you set a "maximum speed"?
-Rear spur final drive...how does this compare to planetary?
-Cab dB - does anybody know how quiet the cab is?
-The L6060 does come with Cat I/II, correct? I know the 4720 does not
-Does it have a 12v 3 prong accessory outlet in the cab?
-Any common issues popping up with this new model? Tier 4 doesn't bother me at all. Have an M9960 and it's been flawless

Anybody have any pictures of an L6060 with the 13.6-28 Ag tires?

Thanks!

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #2  
Most of your questions I can't answer since I don't have a new model but I would go with the larger tire option. I have an old ford with the 13" wide tires and my Kubota has the 14" wide tires and parking them side by side I would be disappointed with the smaller tires on the Kubota I think.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #3  
Looking into purchasing a new L6060. Also considering a 4720...but the design is very dated and the cab is cramped at best. My questions on the L6060: -Installation of Trimble Autopilot/FMX - where is the hydraulic tank return located on the L6060? The Autopilot re-routes the steering hoses from the steering controller and diverts it through a control block, and needs to have a "tank return" in order to function. Looking through the online parts diagram doesn't show a dedicated port and I'd prefer not to go through the hyd fill port at the back. -Will this tractor handle a JD 681 (81 inch) tiller? I've never had an HST tractor before - will the tiller "push" the tractor when operating or can the HST hold it back? -Hydraulic capacity - various online specs do not match up - what is the actual GPM?? -Cruise control - is there a resume function? Can you set a "maximum speed"? -Rear spur final drive...how does this compare to planetary? -Cab dB - does anybody know how quiet the cab is? -The L6060 does come with Cat I/II, correct? I know the 4720 does not -Does it have a 12v 3 prong accessory outlet in the cab? -Any common issues popping up with this new model? Tier 4 doesn't bother me at all. Have an M9960 and it's been flawless Anybody have any pictures of an L6060 with the 13.6-28 Ag tires? Thanks!
I can only help out with a few questions. I have a L5740 with very close power and transmission. I have a 72" tiller which it handles with no problem so an 81" should be good. The hydro works well with a tiller because of infinite ground speed control and no, the tiller can't push a hydro any more than it can push a gear tractor. It's like going downhill - the motor turns into a pump and vice versa. If the cruise is similar to my 5740 there is no resume. Once I hit the brake (when they are locked together) or reverse side of the pedal I must move the cruise lever back and start over. I didn't see anything where they changed this on the 60 series. It is a Cat I/II hitch. Spur gears take more room than planetaries but work well if designed and manufactured right. I have a work of art in our living room that I welded together out of the massive pile of planetary parts I collected although my wife doesn't consider it art. Needed a 109:1 gear ratio and impossible with a single step spur gear set so it was a triple gear set planetary. Supplier design and build problems gave me headaches. There are so many additional parts in a planetary and it only takes one little mistake in one part to screw the whole thing up, but spur gears need to be built right too and need to transmit the entire load through 1 gear tooth at a time instead of spreading over 3 teeth (simplified explanation). We have a M135GX and like your 9960 have had zero issues with tier IV except you can't tell when you're really pulling hard because there is no smoke cloud from the exhaust like from our Tier 2 and Tier 3 tractors. Fuel usage is in the same range for the same work done as close as we can measure it like fuel for acre disked, plowed, cultivated, etc. The M135GX is so quiet compared to the somewhat noisy L5740 - I hope the Kubota engineers worked on that problem for the Grand L 60 series but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

The Trimble auto-pilot - what is your intended use? We don't have enough acreage for a dedicated sprayer so have wondered about GPS control to prevent skips or excessive overlap and was toying with the possibility of GPS on our L5740 but hadn't considered steering control, only guidance.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions
Thanks for the replies thus far. Intended use for the L6060 and Autopilot is "commercial/industrial", same as the 9960 - that's about all I can say on that. How does the L6060 compare to the 4720? I can't see where the 4720 would have a quieter cab. It does use a planetary design for the rear axle, but it looks...small/light duty. And the 3 pt hitch lift is internal, which must be why it has less lift capacity than the L6060.

BTW - if your going to get GPS - Trimble is unmatched in the industry. Nobody does it better

/ Kubota L6060 Questions
Ok so...I placed an order for a tricked out L6060HSTC. However, I'm having second thoughts about the 13.6-28 and 9.5-16 Ag tires. I do need ag tires, nothing else is an option. However, I'm thinking maybe 14.9-28 rears would be better...a little wider. Does anyone know if that's even an option? I would imagine that the front/rear tires have to be within a certain ratio (i.e. tire diameters need to match up), not? I just don't want the 6060 to look like a clown tractor....

Also, I want to try and stick with the 28" rear rim size - I need all the 3pt hitch lift height I can get.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L6060 Questions #6  
I have the 14.9" rear tires on my 5240, but I think they are a 26" rim. My for has the 13.6x28 tires and the Kubota tires are at least the same height maybe slightly taller when I park them side by side, but I really like the wider tire. I can't remember what my front tires are but 9.5x16 sounds right.

Here is a picture with the 14.9x26 tires for reference.

Attachments

• image-1956270797.jpg
    image-1956270797.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 3,644
   / Kubota L6060 Questions #7  
I would sure check with the dealer, foreman Etexas had bigger tires put on his last M7040, our dealer put the same tires on our M8540 as come on the 9540, we had bigger tires put on our MF375 years ago when we bought it.

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #8  
Looking into purchasing a new L6060. Also considering a 4720...but the design is very dated and the cab is cramped at best. My questions on the L6060:

-Installation of Trimble Autopilot/FMX - where is the hydraulic tank return located on the L6060? The Autopilot re-routes the steering hoses from the steering controller and diverts it through a control block, and needs to have a "tank return" in order to function. Looking through the online parts diagram doesn't show a dedicated port and I'd prefer not to go through the hyd fill port at the back.
-Will this tractor handle a JD 681 (81 inch) tiller? I've never had an HST tractor before - will the tiller "push" the tractor when operating or can the HST hold it back?
-Hydraulic capacity - various online specs do not match up - what is the actual GPM??
-Cruise control - is there a resume function? Can you set a "maximum speed"?
-Rear spur final drive...how does this compare to planetary?
-Cab dB - does anybody know how quiet the cab is?
-The L6060 does come with Cat I/II, correct? I know the 4720 does not
-Does it have a 12v 3 prong accessory outlet in the cab?
-Any common issues popping up with this new model? Tier 4 doesn't bother me at all. Have an M9960 and it's been flawless

Anybody have any pictures of an L6060 with the 13.6-28 Ag tires?

Thanks!

I shopped both about 3 months ago and decided to buy neither.

The intercooled JD is noticably more powerful. Both are thirsty.

Either HST is ideal for a PTO tiller. The tiller will not overhaul the tractor (the HST will hold it back).

The rear rims on the L6060 are 26", not 28". The 6060 needs 14.9 tires, which are available, rather than 13.6s. One of the major reasons that I did not buy the 4720, which was my first choice, is the 13.6 X 28 4 ply tires, which are the only AG tires offered. The L6060 AG tires are 6 ply. Four ply tires are not acceptable, especially if undersized as 13.6s are for a 55+ HP tractor. The industrial tires offered on the 4720 (perfectly acceptable for me as I planned to use either exclusively for mowing) are offered only with one piece, non adjustable rear wheels. These also are not acceptable to me. The 6060 industrial tires are offered with proper two piece adjustable rims/centers (26"). Note: Replacement 26" tires are significantly more expensive than the much more common 28" tires.

"Cruise control" is a misnomer for the L 6060 system and it does not have so-called "resume." The Kubota system is not similar to an automotive system.

The L6060 has extendable lift arms as standard equipment. The are just about necessary with a hydrostat tractor of this size, unless you have a helper with you every time you want to hitch up an implement. Extendable lift arms on the 4720, though available, are a $900+ option. This is unreasonable. Last fall, I bought a 60 PTO HP MF with CAT II lift. Extendable lift arms were optional and cost less than $300, and I kept the removed OEM, non extendable lift arms as well.

The 4720 (cab version only) is offered with E-PTO. This is HUGE for me and it is not offered by Kubota. I would have bought a 4720 if the E-PTO system was offered on the ROPS version, which I require.

When I shopped, my Kubota dealer had a 2012 L5740 cab version (not acceptable due to the cab) and my JD dealer had both ROPS and CAB 4720s (2012) without Tier IV. I did not buy the ROPS tractor due to the inadequate tire offering and the unavailability of the E-PTO on the ROPS model. The cab version had E-PTO but one piece rear wheels and, of course, the cab, which renders it useless for much of my intended work. Both were priced very aggressively but either presented too many compromises. I priced an L6060 from my Kubota dealer and it was well over $4000 more expensive than the Tier III 2012 model, similarly equipped. I would have bought a 6060 if it was offered with E-PTO and without Tier IV. I will not buy Tier IV. I am on a very close first name basis with the service manager at my Kubota dealer. I am also a retired design engineer and a lifetime mechanic. While shopping, and before I ruled out Tier IV, I asked my trusted service manager friend to provide a firm price for replacing the particulate filters on a L 6060. His price: "About $3500 parts, plus labor."

Though planetary final drives are more compact and quieter than straight cut spur gears, either is perfectly adequate for a tractor (not so for an automobile). Noise is not an issue in a slow speed tractor application and the spur gear arrangement is less costly and usually heavier, which is generally an advantage for a tractor.

Both have accessory outlets.

The JD is a bit lighter and an older design but it is significantly more powerful and E-PTO is available. Rated HP is produced at 2400 RPM rather than 2700 RPM per the Kubota. The E-PTO is a HUGE advantage if you plan to use the tractor for mowing, and the lower rated engine speed is advantageous in all situations. JD has obviously cut corners on wheel/tire offerings to control costs. The 5740/6060 is a bit more refined, a bit heavier and has adequate tire options but I DO NOT like the 2700 RPM rated engine speed.

From an engineering viewpoint, it is MUCH too early for useful feedback concerning "new model" issues/problems.

BTW, I really like the 9960 and would buy one of these as well if I could buy it without Tier IV. I much like the 6/2 powershift transmission. Having six gears on one stick plus a powershift sounds like the cat's meow.

SDT

/ Kubota L6060 Questions
Thanks for the detailed response but I don't know about this statement....

"The intercooled JD is noticably more powerful."

If you look very closely at the power ratings that JD gives for the 4720 (66 engine hp) , you'll notice it's given as per the following standard:

The 97/68/EC standard is defined as follows:
•Gross engine performance at the flywheel (1)
•All engine auxiliaries attached (except air conditioning/air brake compressor, transmission/hydraulic oil cooler)
•Fan removed
•Radiator removed
•25°C (77°F) ambient temperature when testing

This is basically the engine alone, bench tested, with no accessories. Read more here if you want: Confused over power settings standards? | Features | Farmers Guardian

Kubota lists Net Engine HP for the L6060 at 60hp, per SAE J1349 (as-installed Net Power Rating):

Net flywheel power certified to SAE Method J1349 or ISO Method 9249 is the rated power of the engine as-installed, with all accessories and standard intake and exhaust systems. Net flywheel power is the engine power measured at the flywheel, not counting drive train losses.

I think the Kubota is tested to a more realistic HP standard and that is why the power appears slightly down from the JD 4720 (and true to your point, the L6060 is also not intercooled - but I'm not convinced it really matters on such a small tractor). In all respect though, it's miniscule differences between the two - I would call them a flat even...but the 4720 is definitely not noticeably more powerful. I have driven both the 4720 and the 6060 and revved them to max rpm... and to me the 6060 is quieter, larger more comfortable cab, better hydro foot pedal design, swivel seat, better HVAC, and a longer wheelbase. It was a no brainer after the test drive.

As for e-PTO...it's not overly important to me at this point. I will primarily be using this tractor with an 81 inch commercial-duty tiller and an 8ft Kongskilde 3pt hitch cultivator - as such, maximum power will be needed most of the time. e-PTO is certainly the thing to have on a larger tractor that operates smaller implements. However, I think Kubota will release an e-PTO kit for the L6060 at some point in the future to remain competitive....but only if there is a demand for it.

As for Tier IV emissions, you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid it. I currently have two tractors with the DPF (one being the M9960)...it hasn't been an issue - at all. The engines are noticeably quieter, smoother, easier starting, better fuel efficiency, and very clean. With the high pressure common rail fuel system, cold weather starting is much improved. For example, I had to start my M9960 at -30c, after it had been sitting for over a month and half, and it was not plugged in - it surprisingly started without any trouble. That is unbelievably impressive! I only wish now I had taken a video. It was so cold outside that the rubber floor mat had turned white....

Now for tires on the L6060...this is what I'm thinking:

Rears - 14.9-28 R1 Ag Tires (54.3" diameter)
Fronts - 11.2-16 R1 Ag Tires (35.5" diameter) <----these would need to go on a 10 inch wide rim. Can you get that??
Ratio = 1.53

This is what I've ordered:
Rears - 13.6-28 R1 Ag Tires (51.8" diameter) <----Not sure how wide this rim is...
Fronts - 9.5-16 R1 Ag Tires (33.2" diameter) <----Not sure how wide this rim is...
Ratio = 1.56

The industrial/commercial tires that the L6060 can be optioned with are:
Rears - 17.5L-24 R4 (48.8" diameter)
Fronts - 10-16.5 R4 (30.8" diameter)
Ratio = 1.58

I did ratio calculations for all the OEM option tires for the 6060, it ranges from 1.53-1.61.

Thoughts anyone?

/ Kubota L6060 Questions #10  
In general I am a fan of wider tires. The decision on R1 vs R4 to me has to do with usage. For traction R1s are the way to go. For Load capacity and puncture resistance, R4s excel, but don't expect much for traction, particularly in snow and ice. I have both tractors with R1s and R4s and use them accordingly. As far as Brands, I have both Kubota and JD. JD is exceptional at the big boy tractor (over 125 HP), but in your size range I see them as equals, maybe Kubota slightly better.