Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #1  

rufus

Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions

I've been looking for a compact tractor and have been smitten with Kubota, specifically the 3130 thinking it's the best size for me. We have 40+ acres of ledgy, forest and field in VT and I will be using it for brush-hogging meadow and trails, loaderwork, raking, perhaps skidding logs if I could invest in a winch. I'm now trying to decide betwen the DT FST model or the HST. I was quoted a price of $18,400 for the DT or $19,900 for the HST each with the 723 Loader. The HST is nice, I love the way it operated but I wasn't sure it was really worth the extra $1500. I'm really trying to save some money where I can and the salesman's trying to sell me the HST but also said the HST might not have the mojo on really steep hills and bah-out where a DT in Low/Low might not have the same trouble. This is my first tractor and I"ve a couple of questions:

1.) Being that this is my first tractor and I won't be spending 30hrs a week on it, but plan to use it for a long time, is the DT adequate if I save the $1500 ?
2.) If he has a used '93 L3650 GST w/ 725 hrs w/ a big loader for $14,500, is saving the $4000 on the used a better deal? or should I stick with the new w/ warantee, better financing (especially because I don't think I'd buy the GST if given a choice?)
3.) Do these prices seem good and If the salesman gives me an automatic 10% off the MSRP, is it reasonable to counter-offer him with less and if so how much ? ask for 10%+ off the used too?
4.) I plan to use this tractor a lot in the snow and Ice during winter, and we don't really have a lawn but mostly meadow for mowing, etc. Should I stick with the Ag tires or are the R4's better? Would I make a mess with the Ag's on my sure-pack driveway and meadow or would I need chains for the R4's in the winter and slop in the woods?

I appreciate any help with these 1st time buyer questions. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #2  
Re: Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions

Hi,

I won't try to answer all your questions but at least this will be a start.

HST has some real advantages over the gear tractors but all are really good. People with gear tractors will say that is all you need and they are probably right. But HST has some real advantages...mainly the ability to move and stop in fractions of an inch at almost zero speed. easily!

If you can afford it and will not be plowing fields for the most part go for the HST. In the long run you will not regret it. Gear tractors are fine, dandy, cost effective and great! But HST offers real convenience. You don't need it but you will probably appreciate it after you buy it. If you don't buy it you will not miss it...if you have hillsides you may appreciate it even more. I know I do...

A tractor the size of the 3130 will probably not be a superior grass cutter however you try it. My B2910 wasn't, and I ended up buying a second tractor, a BX2200 for grass cutting. I have r4 tires on my B2910, and they are great for loader work...but sometimes I wish I had R1s...because I understand they would be better in the mud and also on slopes...as far as side slipping goes...

Every time I gradually back up to an implement or sneak up on something I want to get close to with the loader I am glad I have an HST on the B2910.

With my experience, if I bought a L something, probably a L3830 if I ever go crazy again, I would never consider anything by the HST.

I am not meaning to say the gear tractors are inferior...they are not...just that the hst is really good for my needs/wants/abilities... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, I quickly bought chains for my R4s last fall after breaking into an uncontrolled slid on some wet grass...about time to put them back on I suppose...not sure if R1s would have made a difference but I bet they would have.

Guess this is a start, anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions
Re: Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny question

Thanks Henro for the helpful insights. All good points about the HST. So the BX is a better mower? Is the L 3130 pto underpowered or something? Originally the salesman tried to set me up with the 3830 but I just thought it was too much for me, too expensive and maybe too big for the tight spaces in the woods? I guess my tendancy is to talk myself down a bit from the bigger expense. Maybe that's unwise.

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #4  

While the L3830 looks alot larger than the L3130, it really isn't. It does offer additional power though, something I think you'll need with 40 acres. I have 18+ acres and feel the L3130 is the perfect size, but my land is fairly flat and snow isn't much of an issue in my part of Texas. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As for the HST, it's the difference between driving a truck and cruising in a Caddy. Both will get you there, the HST will do so in comfort. Not to mention that $1500 over the life of the tractor ain't much.

On price, it depends on what part of the country you're in as to what you can get for your dollar - but here in Texas that dog won't hunt (that's Texas slang for too much money on the table). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #5  

Rufus ,
Welcome to TBN ! Love the name btw !
The 3130 is not underpowered . But , If you have 40 acres ,you may overwork it .
You are going to find more,and more things for your machine to doas you clear and prep your property .It's besty to err on the side of a bit more ,than abit less power .
You owe it to yoursalf to look at Mahindra , Kioti , and Branson /century if HST is not that important to you .
I'm not trying to steer you ,as I have a 3130 hst . John

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #6  

The larger tractor just weighs a lot and the tires will sink into the ground/grass more than a lighter tractor will. Also, the BX mower is suspended, whereas the larger tractors have MMMs that run on the ground on their own wheels. Which is better can be argued at lenght...

It all depends on what you are mowing...if it is a 'lawn" or even a "yard' like I have, comprised of mostly short weeds that look nice when kept short, the larger tractor just seems to do a poorer job than a smaller, lighter one with turf tires...

The L series are all pretty large tractors. I have absolutely no need to go bigger than my B2910, but if I ever did it would probably be a step up to the L3830. Only because the size of the tractor is no that much more than the 3130, and you always seem to get more per dollar as you increase in size.

The B7800/B2910 is a step down in size and might work better if you have a lot of trees to get in between...but the larger size of the L series can have an advantage too...and if you look at the specs, the difference is measured in inches, not feet...

My limited expereice is that tractors get smaller as you use them. The L3130 may seem large while you are waiting for it to be delivered, but after you use it for a while you will find it is the perfect size for your needs, and you will be happy you did not buy something smaller...

The HP/PTO HP debate never ends...if you buy the 3130 it will be less powerful than the 3430, but more powerful than my B2910 by a small amount. It will be enough...don't worry about that.

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #7  

1500$ is pretty good price for the step from gear to hydro. The dealer here quoted me 3500$ Canadian for the jump. That is about 2600$ US I think.

I was at the dealer last night looking at the 3130 and the 7800, they really aren't in the same category. The 3130 weighs something like half again as much and is a big tall machine with ground clearance to spare.

I can see the 7800/2910 for use on lawns for sure or in really tight places. It is not the ticket for me as I will need to pull things.

As a note, the 2910 hydro is only 500$ canadian cheaper than the 3130 hydro.
Ken

/ Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions #8  
Re: Purchase a Kubota 3130? Have Tranny questions

Rufus, Where in VT are you? I have been to most of the dealers in VT so I may be able to steer you to one with a better price. I think the best price I got in VT for a 3130Hydro/723 loader and r4's was 18,900 . I will try to find the card from the salesman if you are interested. Steve...

I'm in Chester and had looked at Kubotas only at Pinnacle View about thirty minutes away just across the river in Walpole NH. Chester is South Central East, Springfield/ Ludlow area.

Thanks Cerberus. Actually there is a Mahindra dealership only about 25 minutes from here. I've been meaning to talk to a salesman over there to see what they had for comparison but kept steering toward the Kubota dealership. All I know is what I've read on the company's web site. Do you have any experience with these tractors?