Buying Advice BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #1  

RodSerling

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Hello all! I will try to make this as brief as possible. My wife and I have recently moved out of the suburbs to a beautiful 4 acre semi wooded lot. My driveway is around a 1/4 mile long and consists of 3/4 stone so I need to maintain it and plow it. I also want to do some minor clearing mainly brush and smaller rocks. I have been operating equipment my whole life and enjoy being on and around tractors.
Last week I made the mistake of buying someone's used Ford 340 2wd Industrial tractor w/FEL. It lasted all of 15 minutes before the clutch let go, so now I have a lawn ornament that needs a $1500-$2000 clutch job.
I initially wanted to buy a BX series tractor when we first moved but didn't want to make the investment. After the Ford let go I am back to looking at a new Kubota.
I am looking at a BX25D $17,400, a B3300SU $17,600, and the dealer has a 400 hour 1999 L3410 FEL for $12,500. The new Kub's also have 0% for 60mo.

My thoughts on the BX.
Pros.
I really like the backhoe on the BX and will use it often.
It is light enough to tow around with a small utility trailer for other jobs and service.
I assume it is more fuel efficient than the other two.
Cons.
The backhoe appears to be toyish and I wonder what it really can do. (My only experience with something this small is a Terramite)
I have my doubts as to whether it is more tool or toy.

B3300SU
Pros.
Nice size old school tractor.
Size.
Plenty of capability and potential.
Looks like it'll go to **** and back and last forever.

Cons.
No Backhoe and the cheapest one I found is $5k woodmaxx.
To be honest I don't have the money to buy the backhoe right now and probably won't until I pay off the tractor.

L3410
Pros.
Size.
Calcium filled tires
turf tires for snow.

Cons.
Turf tires for mud (my lot is very wet)
Somebody else's used tractor (Why trade in a perfectly good tractor)
No 0%
15 year old tractor.

Lawn ornament
Pros.
I own it

Cons
After I fix it am I going to continue to dump money into an old 2wd headache.

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #2  
Excellent first post.

I have been happy with my B3300SU. I especially like 14" ground clearance and unencumbered operator's station.

That said, Kubota's BX25D probably gets more rave reviews on T-B-N than any other Kubota model. Definitely more tool than toy.

Have you considered a <$400 Bucket Spade in lieu of a Backhoe? It is a pretty capable bucket attachment.

Bucket Spade attached to FEL + Box Blade mounted on 3-Pt for ballast and filling excavations is an efficient combination.

Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/258433-florida-planting-sand-pears-kubota.html

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
   / BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament
Interesting tool Jeff. I'm not sure that would fit my needs but looks great for someone who wants to do some planting. How does it cut roots?

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #4  
Do the clutch yourself for maybe, just maybe a couple of weekends of part time work. And you'd still catch the football games.

Parts don't cost that much and machining a fly wheel at Napa is about $40 the last time I had one there.

Do the clutch yourself for maybe, just maybe a couple of weekends of part time work. And you'd still catch the football games.

Parts don't cost that much and machining a fly wheel at Napa is about $40 the last time I had one there.

I don't have the garage or hoist to do such a job and my claw shaped arthritic hands aren't up to the task. If I had the shop I would consider it being it is just nuts,bolts, patience and time.

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #6  
Interesting tool Jeff. I'm not sure that would fit my needs but looks great for someone who wants to do some planting. How does it cut roots?

It weight 100+ pounds and comes fairly sharp. Cuts softwood roots easily. Hardwoods, such as Oaks, to 2-1/2" diameter tree.

If trenching is the main task, consider Ratchet Rake's "Rip and Dig". Variation on same theme.

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #7  
If you search out some BX25 threads on this forum, along with some YouTube videos, I think you'll find that the BX25 (and the BX24, BX23, etc.) are a LOT more tool than toy. These little tractors will do a lot more work than their size would lead you to believe.

Now, you're not gonna dig a pond with one of them (unless you've got LOTS of time on your hands), but they are very capable within certain limitations. Perhaps the biggest limitation is the FEL lift capacity compared to larger tractors.

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #8  
I have a bigger 40hp tractor and backhoe but I would love to have a BX25 too. The OP did not specify what kind of backhoe work he intends to do. I would say that the BX backhoe is perfect for any job that could also be done by a couple of guys with pick and shovel and strong backs and the BX would do the job in a quarter the time or less. I would not want to dig a foundation with the BX or try to dig out big stumps. For jobs around the house or yard the BX would be ideal. I use my TLB for those jobs but always end up with collateral damage that could easily have been avoided with the BX TLB.

Also, used and well maintained BX TLBs almost never lose value. If you buy one and it doesn't work out you can sell it for what you paid.

If you search out some BX25 threads on this forum, along with some YouTube videos, I think you'll find that the BX25 (and the BX24, BX23, etc.) are a LOT more tool than toy. These little tractors will do a lot more work than their size would lead you to believe.

Now, you're not gonna dig a pond with one of them (unless you've got LOTS of time on your hands), but they are very capable within certain limitations. Perhaps the biggest limitation is the FEL lift capacity compared to larger tractors.

Thanks I did that and it was helpful.

I have a bigger 40hp tractor and backhoe but I would love to have a BX25 too. The OP did not specify what kind of backhoe work he intends to do. I would say that the BX backhoe is perfect for any job that could also be done by a couple of guys with pick and shovel and strong backs and the BX would do the job in a quarter the time or less. I would not want to dig a foundation with the BX or try to dig out big stumps. For jobs around the house or yard the BX would be ideal. I use my TLB for those jobs but always end up with collateral damage that could easily have been avoided with the BX TLB.

Also, used and well maintained BX TLBs almost never lose value. If you buy one and it doesn't work out you can sell it for what you paid.

Nothing major, I have access to a 10,000 lb mini excavator from work but it is a pain to drag up here. Just looking to clear out some of my brush and small trees, dig some rocks, maintain my range, dig a few holes.

/ BX25D vs B3300SU vs Used L3410 vs Lawn Ornament #10  
If I ever buy a smaller tractor it will be a BX-25. No doubt about it, It is the small Swiss Army Knife. Very good first post. Welcome to TBN.