Buying Advice Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price?

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #1  

JDKu

Tractor
GC2300
I don't know why but I can't find a lot of info on the GF1800. I'm on an acreage and want something to mow near trees (maybe an acre). I already have a tractor with mid mower pulling an offset mower in the open areas (3 acres) and intend to keep it for open areas. Will a GF1800 handle slopes and side hills as well as a tractor? I'm worried a new zero turn at this price point won't handle the slopes because I suspect this price restricts me to mid deck ztrs. I could mow the yard in 2wd with my tractor, but I do spin out once in a while and I understand you lose control of the mid mount ztrs in this scenario. One place i spin out is inches from my house. So I think a used front mount might be my only option at this price. Am I correct?

My yard is also pretty rough. I've read the GF1800 bounces a lot. Is it worse than newer zero turns at this price?

Would a 5k new mower be as reliable as the diesel powered GF1800 with 900 hour's on it?

I've heard the GF1800 doesn't cut as nice as the new ztr because of lower blade speed and less suction. But the web is contradictory on how well this mower cuts. Any experiences? I don't have a manicured lawn (no fertilizer and not watered - just thick in the low spots) so perhaps this isn't a concern. I'm looking at a gf1800 with a 60 inch deck. I'm happy with the cut on my MF GC2300 and its60 inch deck. It would be nice to know if the GF1800 cuts as well.

Thank you in advance!

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #2  
I have had a gf1800 and was a great mower they will mow stuff you shouldn't mow and make it look nice. Looking back I really miss it and the front mower deck. Current have a zd331 and there are many times I wish I had a steering wheel and front deck. If it was me I would take a gf over a new 5k gas mower any day.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #3  
I suppose the GF1800 does bounce a bit, but it has a higher ground speed than most lawn tractors which amplifies the bumps in your lawn. They are fantastic at cutting hills provided you have the 4wd model. I have similar issues regarding hills. The neighbours around me are all getting zero turns, but my property is the hilliest and the old lawn tractor struggled so I bought myself a new GF1800 a couple years ago. I have places where I need to go front first down a 29 degree slop and then reverse back up. Try doing that with any other machine.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #4  
I have a 20 degree slope that I mow with my zero turn Ferris without any problems going up or down. It will scalp a bit on the slopes if I go sideways but a 15 degree slope in my front yard, I can mow sideways or up and down with ease. My Craftsman ZTR wouldn't track sideways on this with the turf tires and would just drift down hill whereas the Ferris just pulls straight. I guess this is due to much more weight, better Hydros and larger tires. My ZTR mowers climb hills that my tractor (332 JD) would only spin out on. I did finally have to put some bar lug tires on the Craftsman to make it hold on the slopes though.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #5  
GF is a great little mower. Wish they still made them.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #6  
Before I bought my JD front mower I tested a GF1800. I liked it a lot. But it's ride was as bad as the zero turns that I tried. If the one you are looking at has 4wd it may be better. Slopes can be a problem with a front mower. I lift the deck a little on my JD to put all the weight on drive wheels. Climbs hills very well doing this.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #7  
I have the 4wd Gf1800 and it handles slopes fine. My biggest complaint is there is no power steering which is no problem if your young but it does get tiring if you are doing alot of messing around.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #8  
I would go with a zero turn. The GF1800 if it is 4wd should be ok on hills, I would make sure that when the deck is lifted that it does not take too much pressure off of the rear wheels. If the rear wheels loose traction on a hill then the open differential on the front axle will swing you down hill and let you go for a ride. I frequently mowed a 30 degree incline with mid mount zero turns. (kept the rops up) I would not suggest mowing this steep as occasionally you would go for a ride down the hill, but it was that or string trim the hill.

For mowing around trees the GF1800 will take two to three times the amount of time mow around a tree and still not look as nice as if a zero turn did it. If the mower does not have power steering and you are mowing around trees then you can skip your daily gym work out. I am a young guy but I do appreciate power steering after mowing for an entire day. I can more an area that has obstacles with a 48" zero turn mower faster than I could with a 72" RFM or front mount mower.

What the GF1800 will excel at is being able to mow under trees and over ditches. The front deck will let you get into areas that you could never do with a mid mount mower. This could be a great advantage for you depending on the layout of your property. Also if you are mowing long stretches of property with no obstacles then a front mount mower will work well.

A few pictures of the area you are talking about would help.

/ Is a $5k GF1800 with 900hrs better than a new zero turn of similar price? #9  
I have a 20 degree slope that I mow with my zero turn Ferris without any problems going up or down. It will scalp a bit on the slopes if I go sideways but a 15 degree slope in my front yard, I can mow sideways or up and down with ease. My Craftsman ZTR wouldn't track sideways on this with the turf tires and would just drift down hill whereas the Ferris just pulls straight. I guess this is due to much more weight, better Hydros and larger tires. My ZTR mowers climb hills that my tractor (332 JD) would only spin out on. I did finally have to put some bar lug tires on the Craftsman to make it hold on the slopes though.

Gary, May I ask which Ferris you have? I have been considering the IS700. Is the suspension worth it? How many hours on yours? Any trouble?