Comparison kubota B vs L vs BX25

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #11  
I just went from a B2920 to an L3200. Without testing this or having precise numbers, my gut feel is that the L is more stable on hills because of the wider stance and the weight (with rear tires loaded in both cases). Or at the very least, no worse. The B is actually quite narrow. Spacers on the B would help.

I think in many cases, the B is the most versatile of the three mentioned here -- not too big, but higher ground clearance and more capacity than the BX. And narrower than the L for fitting in tight spaces. I got the B2920 so I could skid logs out of the woods when cleaning our property, and it was perfect. The L would have been to big.

Now that we have a home at the property with more open spaces, the L is better for what I need to do now. The B would have been better for mowing, but I don't need to mow with a big tractor (have a smaller Deere for that).

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25
Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to have to go by the dealer to see the size difference. I have about 4 acres of hay and 23 ish acres of woods so I want to make shure what I get will fit. Also from what I have seen a used BX 25 sells for almost the same as a new one. I have less than 200 hours on it.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #13  
Best bet is to go by the dealer and physically sit on and look at the machines. Obviously the bigger and heavier machines would do better for ground work. And more horsepower is better for PTO stuff like tilling or using the bushhog.

I don't know if you mentioned if you want host or gear, but the grand L's have the best hst and are heavy. But for similar specs, less money (but not as good of a hst) you can look at the l4600. The added power is nice for bushhogging, and physically about the size of the 30hp grand L's.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #14  
I had an L2900 for almost 15 years, and it was a great tractor with no problems. It is amazing what you can do with one. I also had the loader and backhoe. Quite frankly, the backhoe was more trouble than it was worth although it did perform well. When I sold it and bought my current tractor I decided not to get another backhoe as I could not justify the investment for the amount of use and it is a pain to remove and re-install one very often. I simply rent a small mini excavator (small track hoe) when I need one and I don't have to set the feet every time I move. From following the this thread I suggest you take a look at the B and the L series and make an informed judgement based on usefulness for you applications and your available budget.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #15  
Before going to the dealer you should take a look at your trails etc where you will operate in the woods to get a sense of height and width. Based on that you may want to make sure you get a model with a foldable ROPS, nothing worse than catching on trees and branches constantly. I'd aso avoid any of the sunshades for woods operations, they get ripped up very quickly unless you have big wide trails or roads for woods work. I'd also maybe try to take the BH off and on to get a sense, i think the B and BX are relatively the same, but not sure on the L. I think some models may have that bigger subframe, which make it more coomplicated to remove.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #16  
I've owned almost all sizes of the BXs, several of the Bs and one Grand L3240 HST.
BXs are more maneuverable, easier to transport from site to site, 2 speed transmission, easy to break fan in the woods and closer to the ground.
Bs are good medium sized tractors that have higher ground clearance than BXs, 3 speed transmissions, no fan to break in the woods, easy enough to transport and usually more HP than traction.
Ls are heavy, even higher off the ground (better ground clearance but scary on hillsides because butt is higher off the ground), 3 speed transmission, no fan to worry about in the woods, heavier for transporting and better traction than any BX or B.
Lots of good info has been provided and now go to dealer and sit and drive different models.
I currently have a B2620 HST FEL BH and wish I still had my favorite Kubota the BX25.
I owned my first and last geared tractor, a B2320, great tractor but hated the gear drive especially after owning HSTs.
My most used tractor was a B7800 HST FEL because I had it when I was doing most of my work around my property and the second most used was the BX25, again my favorite Kubota tractor. I use Kubota Fs for mowing and no longer use tractors for mowing. When I did use tractors for mowing I preferred using a Landpride 6' rear finish mower behind the Bs and Land a BX1500 MMM (because it's a mountain goat on my hillside property).
Weight equals traction and weight eats up HP so a 32HP L will seem to not be as powerful as a 32HP B. The L will put the HP on the ground better than the B but that extra weight uses a lot of that HP. I went from a B7800 (31/32 HP) to a L3240 (32HP)to a B3200 (32HP). 1700lbs to 3700lbs to 1800lbs with about the same HP so L seemed under powered but great on flat lands and big, really big. Transporting and driving.
Wish I had my BX25 back and probably will in a year or two but I don't farm or do woods or maintain a mile or two of gravel roads. I do home hillside rocky treed gullied acres landscaping and maintain flat rental property with 6 septic tanks.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #17  
Very happy to see this discussion of the BX, B, & L.

It's starting to make me think I don't need a backhoe, especially seeing that bucket-spade again. Of course as soon as I get rid of a backhoe thats when I will need one……

354383d1389395332-kubota-b-vs-l-vs-img_0428.jpg

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #18  
Your soil type and jobs will likely help you decide on a BH. None of the spades or other gadgets work really well when you have rocky soil. With rocks you need the ability to really dig carefully, grab stuff, lift and move it. The BH is really expensive, so if you can get by without you save a ton of money. On the other hand if you need it there is really no substitute. Mine paid for itself easily in the first 2 years.

/ kubota B vs L vs BX25 #19  
:point::shovel:
It's starting to make me think I don't need a backhoe, especially seeing that bucket-spade again. Of course as soon as I get rid of a backhoe thats when I will need one?

I have a Kubota L3560 with optional Kubota Heavy Duty, Round Back FEL Bucket due to be delivered in the next week.

I am looking forward to working both the Bucket Spade and Ratchet Rake/Teeth on the Superman bucket.

I expect greater Bucket Spade insertion inertia due to heavier bucket and more rigid attachment of Bucket Spade to thicker steel. Inertia/rigidity plus more powerful FEL lift should make the Bucket Spade even more effective.

It is not a backhoe. It is <$400 delivered, which is quite a bit less than $7,000, quick on/off AND LEAVES THE THREE POINT HITCH AVAILABLE.

I seem to be the only great 'fan' of the Bucket Solutions' Bucket Spade. Few others post their experiences.

I have never used Ratchet Rake LLC's Rip & Dig, but from looking a RR's web site seems like Rip & Dig might be better for trenching, Bucket Spade better for trees and maybe excavation. (????)

Bucket Spade is sold with sockets to accept pallet forks, and side clamping screws to secure pallet forks. So, in theory, one could dig a hole 127-1/2' deep, so mounted. (Just kidding.)

Last edited:
   / kubota B vs L vs BX25 #20  
With the BX24 it's pretty darn easy to RnR the backhoe. But honestly all I have done with the backhoe in the last year has been RnR it to get to the 3-point. A quick-mount dipper stick attachment on the FEL, with a little bucket (with a curl ! ) would be an interesting attachment.

Last edited: