Not all Box scrapers are created equal

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #1  

GlueGuy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
Just wanted to point out to those that are looking, that they should look closely at the various attachments for their tractor, and who makes them.

I got bids for a a B7500 plus several attachments from three different Kubota dealers in the S.F. Bay Area. All included a box scraper. One bid the Kubota scraper, one bid one from Gearmore, and the third bid one from Woods.

I wondered if there are any significant differences, so looked into it. Boy is there ever a difference! The Kubota was not a serious long-term tool. The Gearmore was noticebly superior, with replaceable blades, and also looked like it was made fom heavier material. However, the Woods scraper was built like a tank! Extensive cross-bracing and gussets, plus easily replaceable blades front and rear. The Woods scraper weighed close to 500 pounds (48" version). That is one serious scraper.

I'm definitely getting the Woods. Take a close look before you buy!

GlueGuy

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #2  
Guy, I just picked up my box scraper today. I already have a Gannon, which is now owned by Woods. The one I picked up today is a Gearmore. Both are 72" models, both have hydraulic rippers and both have 3/8" side steel and both have massive uprights for the top link which eliminates all cross bracing. They use the same ripper shank and use the same thickness for the moldboards etc. The difference is primarily the price, Gearmore is slightly cheaper. Both are great products and one can't go wrong either way. Mine weighs only 900lbs, I thought about the next models up from my 2G2, the 2G4 72" @ 1150LBS and the 4G4A, which is available in an 80" as their smallest @ 1340lbs, but these ones get pricey. Gannon makes comparable ones and add about $400 for equivalent 72" boxs. I'm with you, get a boxscraper that will do your tractor justice. Most tractors can pull a considerably heavier box scraper for the same size as the weanie ones, but give much needed added ballast as well as do a better job of getting into the dirt. By the way, the Gearmore model GBS/H 48" weighs 405lbs and the 2G1 weighs 445lbs, not quite a Woods, but getting there. Rat...

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #3  
I'm using a LandPride boxscaper - does what its supposed to so far....
Would REALLY recommend hydraulics
I guess it all depends on just how frequent and heavy duty your needs

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #4  
When I got my tractor I bought a new box blade that cost about $350. THere was no brand name on it. It may have weighed 400#. I could lift it enough to move it around some to hook it up. It would scrape but sometimes it would bounce if I started doing really heavy work. A friend bought a new, bigger tractor and needed bigger implements so I bought his old stuff. I got a Gannon that weighs a little over 800#. It is so much better it is unbelieveable. I only paid $400 for the used Gannon. I guess the moral of this story is a used good implement is better than a new sorry one. IF you can't afford the good ones new, shop around and buy used before you settle for less quality. Just my opinion.

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #5  
Exactly why I can't wait for the Spring auctions to fire up!

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ Not all Box scrapers are created equal #6  
Thanks Eddie, I have been saying this since last spring on this forum. I could not agree with you more. Its not only the weight but also the design of those industrial type scrapers that work so well. I know that some folks don't really even use a box scraper, perhaps because some find them difficult at best to get something smooth, but I also look at it as part of the loader, it adds great ballast much like a mower would but without all the length that cuts down on the turning ability in tight spots. Another practical use for it is an anchor, I carry mine low and am ready to drop it when things start sliding on the slopes I work, nothing like throwing out my 73" by 38" 900lb anchor flat on the ground when I'm tipping, Rat...