BX2200 vs NH 1530

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #1  

dlw

I am trying to decide which tractor to buy between a new BX2200, 4WD with a 60" belly mower for $10,500 or a used NH 1530 (now TC25D) with super steer, 4WD and 80 hours of use for $12,750. Once a 60" belly mower is added the price is just over $15,000. I have 3 open acres with several trees and it is mostly flat. My primary use will be mowing but I do want to buy a FEL in the future. I would use the FEL for snow, dirt and debris removal. I'm unsure if the BX2200 has enough power to handle it. I don't want to buy more tractor than I need but I also don't want to have to trade up in the future. This will be a major purchase for me and I'm concerned if the additional $4,500 difference between the two is necessary for my intended uses. Any help or suggestions from those who are familiar with these tractors will be greatly appreciated.

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #2  
dlw, I'm a little reluctant to make a recommendation in your case, because I wouldn't want you to blame me if you follow it, and then change your mind later. I usually sound like a broken record saying to buy the biggest thing you can afford and have room to maneuver, but in this case, for 3 acres, what you say you want to do (reckon you'll decide to do a lot more when you get a tractor?), and the price difference, I'd have to go with the BX2200.

Bird

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #3  
I would agree with Bird, go for the BX. I think it is all the tractor you need, and it will accept a front loader just like the NH will. Sure it will have less lift capacity than the larger machine, but believe me when you go from a shovel and wheelbarrow to ANY tractor, you will think you just died and went to heaven!

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #4  
Dwl:

I agree with Bird and PaulB, and here is why…

Regarding your concerns about the BX having enough power to handle snow, dirt and debris removal - it will. I have used the BX to do all those chores mentioned. Yes, the lift capacity is less than that of larger tractors, but so is the bucket volume. Any volume of dirt or stone that I could possibly put in the bucket, it has always handled.

Now, I may have to do two-scoops to a larger units one-scoop, but I am a simple homeowner. Unlike a rancher or a contractor, tractor-time is not money; my time on the tractor is a pleasure.

My advice. If you will be adding a FEL in the future, find out what their current cost are. Add the FEL price to the baseline prices. Then, ask yourself what do you gain, and at what total cost of ownership.

You may decide that the additional dollars are worth a bigger unit. That is a personal decision (how fast do each of us want the job done; each persons personal budgets). Either way you decide, both units are nice machines. Good luck.

[Aside: Some people can correctly argue that tractor time is money for everyone. Cost of fuel, additional hours which cause diminishing resale value and higher maintenance, etc. But, I don't think that really adds up for homeowner use. If a smaller units use is 100 hrs a year while a slightly larger unit would only use 80 hrs, then that is a 200 hour savings over a ten-year span. Might be worth paying an additional $1000 for, but not much more than that. Would the additional 200 hours use really burn up more than the $5 (based on 200 hrs, $1000) cost per hour saved?]

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530
Thanks for the replys. I was leaning towards the BX2200 but wanted to hear from those that knew more about these tractors and had experience with them. One more question... How long do you think it will take on the BX2200 to cut 3 acres? It takes 6 to 8 hours on a regular riding mower (46" cut). This is way too long and its the main reason I'm considering this new purchase. The dealer said it would take about an hour. Is this true?

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #6  
I think that dealer is overly optimistic; in fact, I'd bet on it. If it takes 6 to 8 hours on a 46" riding mower, it'll probably take at least 3 hours on the BX with a 60" mower. Of course, I don't know just what kind of transmission and steering you have on that riding mower, but generally you can't use a direct ratio; i.e., moving up from 46" to 60" since the maneuverability with power steering and the ease of changing speeds with the HST make a difference (unless the old mower also had those).

When I went from a 38" Cub Cadet riding mower (auto gear system) to a 60" rear discharge 3-point mower on my B2710, I cut my mowing time about in half.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 02/04/01 08:26 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #7  
My own experiences. Lawn size: 1.25 acres is my best guess, by subtracting footage for areas that are not cut, like the driveway, house, pool, gardens, etc.

Old lawn tractor: JD 170, 38" deck. Cutting time - 1.5 hours. Clock time - around 2.25 hours allowing for breaks - uncomfortable seat for long periods.

Using the BX w/ 60" deck: Typically 35 minutes cutting and actual clock times (no need for break when the duration is short). I have managed to do it in 25 minutes, but I get bounced around pretty bad at full speed. My lawn is rather bumpy.

Of course, your own actual time will depend on number of turns, obstacles, terrain, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if would take you 1.5 hours, 2 hours max. (Based on an assumption that the 6 to 8 hours is wall clock time, and the old lawn tractor was greatly limited in speed, as mine was. If not, the 3 to 4 hour estimate would be closer).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by roy on 02/04/01 09:53 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #8  
DLW,I'd say Roys estimate is very close on actual mowing time.We do a lot of mowing,and people are always asking how long does it take? It depends on how hot is,how many beer breaks,how many times to take a dip in the lake to cool off.Seriously,you will not cover any more ground with a bigger compact ( NH1530 ) than you would with the BX,same size decks,about the same amount of time.

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #9  
Mike... I think you found my time savings! JD 170, stop for beer. BX with cup holder, take it with you /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. BTW, I looked at your profile... nice machinery collection!

/ BX2200 vs NH 1530 #10  
I run a B7100 with a 60" mid-mount and can easily mow an acre an hour. If I keep up with the mowing and don't let things get too long, I've been able to cut up to 1.5 acres per hour. Of course, that's wide open spaces without any mowing obstructions.

Bob Pence