Buying Advice Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread)

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread)
Thanks everyone for putting perspective on it. There are so many of these B/BX threads, but I think everyone has a unique situation and since they are both good tractors there is no one right answer for everyone. Also it seems as time goes on people trade up and down as their needs change so maybe I'm overthinking my first tractor.

It does make sense to have someone come in and clear it for me, especially since I really don't have an easy way of disposing of the stumps other than to drag them up into the woods. However, I'm going to need a backhoe for the other aforementioned projects and wonder if it wouldn't be wise to put that money towards the BH instead of a contractor. I would much rather have it at the ready when i have some free time instead of trying to coordinate with rentals.

Does anyone have practical experience with the BH65 backhoe? Specwise in digging strength it appears to be halfway between the K008 and K018 mini excavators? Realizing the limitation of it hanging off the back of a tractor, does it not make the 6k for the backhoe seem like a good value?

I've watched some youtube videos, but it seems like you never see a project start to finish...

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #12  
I have a B and a BX. The B has a backhoe the BX does not so the backhoe info is a bit one sided. The B is a much more capable machine. As far using the backhoe for digging out big stumps it is a long process it can be done but it takes a long time. As for digging out rocks it works but again a long process if they are large. Drainage ditches, wire runs etc the back hoe is great. My BX is used for most of the activity around the house, mowing, plowing snow, snow blowing, log splitting and moving pallets of firewood around. The B is the go to machine for the bigger jobs and backhoe work.

I have owned the B longer than the BX. If I had to choose and keep only one it would be the B. As for clearing rocks and stumps hire an excavator or bulldozer for the project and save yourself a lot of time and wear and tear on your tractor. Once the rocks and stumps are out of the ground the B will be able to handle moving them around for disposal or landscaping.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #13  
John Thomas has a B2620 with fel and backhoe that he might be selling. Very few hours. You might PM him and check.
You don't have to PM me, I do for $20,000 but I don't have 0% interest, maybe delivery but no 0% interest.:)

I have a B and a BX. The B has a backhoe the BX does not so the backhoe info is a bit one sided. The B is a much more capable machine. As far using the backhoe for digging out big stumps it is a long process it can be done but it takes a long time. As for digging out rocks it works but again a long process if they are large. Drainage ditches, wire runs etc the back hoe is great. My BX is used for most of the activity around the house, mowing, plowing snow, snow blowing, log splitting and moving pallets of firewood around. The B is the go to machine for the bigger jobs and backhoe work.

I have owned the B longer than the BX. If I had to choose and keep only one it would be the B. As for clearing rocks and stumps hire an excavator or bulldozer for the project and save yourself a lot of time and wear and tear on your tractor. Once the rocks and stumps are out of the ground the B will be able to handle moving them around for disposal or landscaping.

I agree with this post other than I've owned several Bs and BXs. Had a BX25, now have a B2620 FEL BH and would rather have the BX25.......... now..... but.....I've been doing work on my land for 11 years and the BX25 will better suit my current needs more than the B2620 but the B2620 will also meet my needs. Move the clock back 11 years and the B2620 FEL BH would be the clear winner. I started with a BX2200 FEL MMM and due to ground clearance issues I traded after 1 year to a B7800 FEL and bought a BX1500MMM for mowing. Later went to a L3240 but the seat was to high off the ground for my hillside so traded it to a B3200. The Bs are the sweet spot in the Kubota tractors but the BX25 is great for the average home landscaper. As your just starting to tame your land, the B will be the more desirable tractor but the BX25 will do the jobs you've mentioned but just take longer time. I still say you need to have a dozer do in a few hours what will take you months with a SCUT/CUT. These are TRACTORS, not land clearing excavators. Tree stumps are doable with a tractor but can take days for one where it wouldn't even slow down a dozer. I've had dozers/track loaders come do work for me several times over the years and it's the cheapest $80 an hour I've ever spent.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #14  
You don't have to PM me, I do for $20,000 but I don't have 0% interest, maybe delivery but no 0% interest.:)

I agree with this post other than I've owned several Bs and BXs. Had a BX25, now have a B2620 FEL BH and would rather have the BX25.......... now..... but.....I've been doing work on my land for 11 years and the BX25 will better suit my current needs more than the B2620 but the B2620 will also meet my needs. Move the clock back 11 years and the B2620 FEL BH would be the clear winner. I started with a BX2200 FEL MMM and due to ground clearance issues I traded after 1 year to a B7800 FEL and bought a BX1500MMM for mowing. Later went to a L3240 but the seat was to high off the ground for my hillside so traded it to a B3200. The Bs are the sweet spot in the Kubota tractors but the BX25 is great for the average home landscaper. As your just starting to tame your land, the B will be the more desirable tractor but the BX25 will do the jobs you've mentioned but just take longer time. I still say you need to have a dozer do in a few hours what will take you months with a SCUT/CUT. These are TRACTORS, not land clearing excavators. Tree stumps are doable with a tractor but can take days for one where it wouldn't even slow down a dozer. I've had dozers/track loaders come do work for me several times over the years and it's the cheapest $80 an hour I've ever spent.
OP - One thing you need to realize is that John Thomas is a frequent buyer of Kubota's and lives within easy BX25 driving distance of Barlow's, one of the premier tractor dealers on TBN. I've read probably a hundred or so threads, other than John's, about Barlow's and about the worst I've read is that people tend to buy to much or to often. They stand behind their new and used tractors and can usually beat the heck out of local dealers prices.

<snip>
Does anyone have practical experience with the BH65 backhoe? Specwise in digging strength it appears to be halfway between the K008 and K018 mini excavators? Realizing the limitation of it hanging off the back of a tractor, does it not make the 6k for the backhoe seem like a good value?
<snip>.
Remember that a mini-ex is far more suited to swinging and digging than a TLB, the TLB excels in versatility and speed of travel. Also most of us on here tend to think buy a used mini-ex for some tasks then sell it when your done. It is Tractorbynet, not Excavatorbynet :)

If you are getting the entire BH package for $6K that's not bad.

The LIST PRICES for all the bells and whistles you probably need
1 SUBFRAME KIT FOR BACKHOE$984.00
1 6.5 FT BACKHOE$5,715.00
2 RUBBER FLIP PADS & STREET SHOES$248.00
1 12" PIN ON BUCKET FOR 7 FT BACKHOES$491.00
1 6 POSITION MECHANICAL THUMB KIT FOR 7 FT BACKHOE$475.00
4 FRONT WEIGHT BOLT KIT (REAR FOR F)$24.00
1 FRONT WEIGHT BRACKET B, BX (REAR WEIGHT BRACKET F)$103.00
4 FRONT SUITCASE WEIGHT$284.00
come up to about $8,300 plus tax

Thats exactly my experience with the BX>

Where were you in the last BX decision thread, lol. Tough tractor, but lacking due to size.
It's a powerful tractor on a small frame, sometimes you need a small package.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #15  
I recently bought a used BH65 backhoe for my B2620. I haven't plumbed the hydraulics yet so I haven't used it obviously (been too cold to work or dig).

I have rented 2 different mini excavators, a backhoe smaller than the BH65, and borrowed a bigger backhoe.

Digging out those stumps would take a long time. To dig one out would be fun. To dig 20 or 30 would be frustrating with a small backhoe.

I agree with the recomendations to either hire out the clearing or get an excavator.

You could rent a tractor backhoe about the size of a B2620 for a day to prove it one way or the other. It might be worth the $200 for the fun of it.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #16  
I would go with a B series. It is a good bit more tractor in a lot of ways, compare the specs.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #17  
This is my total noob point of view so take it for what it is worth, but this is a real hard choice to make for you.

First....You say you want to keep the cash in the bank....good for you. Baby on the way...mine is 17 now and let me tell you they only get more expensive as they get older....but the positive side is they get more useful (I wrote that part for my kid....all in fun boy)....I call him my O.L.S.D....Organic Labor Saving Device....he just loves that :)

Now that the silliness is out of the way. I would say your father is pretty close to you with a large machine. IMHO even tho he uses it "every day" I don't know a father that would not let his son "borrow" the shirt off his back or come out to help one weekend.....if you are real lucky both sets of grand parents will be out...you know to see the baby and "help out" put those men folk to work.

I would say that as you have access to a larger machine I would look at the smaller machine. Then I would look at perhaps some attachments that you and your father could possibly "go in on together" and you both could use. Be that a backhoe for his tractor, and you get a smaller machine with just the loader, or the 25D. You know your place better then we do. And remember that 0% includes attachments...so I would bet if you bought a small tractor for yourself and a big backhoe for your dads tractor...it would all be at 0%

If borrowing your fathers machine is totally out, then I think with the size of the tree stumps you talk about you will be digging for a bit. It took....(I am guessing) me about 4 hrs to dig out a 18" stump....the hole ended up being about 6' deep...and I think the next one I do will be faster...as that was really the first time running the backhoe/tractor/ digging. It would take me a few tries to get the machine where I wanted it....nope too far away...up with the arms, turn the seat around, back up...crap...now I am too close. Then the actual digging I know I dug way too much as the stump about fell over in the hole....so I am thinking now with a little time under my belt I bet I could do that same job in about 2 hrs....but that is still 2hrs. I don't know about the rocks and such.
So if your dads machine is out I think you might be better with a larger machine....but I would bet that in a few years you will be in the same place as JOHNTHOMAS (I think) he has a larger machine, but is now "right sizing" the big jobs are all done and he really does not need or want the larger machine any longer. I think that after you get the big stuff done this might be you.

I will also say that I really think that a BX would do what you want it to do....it just will not do it as fast. I am in a different spot then you are...my kid is about out of the house...I am almost an empty nester....I have time. You are going to find time is something you don't have near enough of....that and sleep :) You have your baby...but in time there will be school, sports, dances, plays, dates, girl/boyfriends...... Your time is going to be very valuable....but so is your money. From the time point of view you are going to want that larger machine, from the money point the smaller one.

I know I did not give you an answer, but something I hope you might not have thought about. Good luck to you mate....your journey has just started.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #18  
My father has a late 80's B7200, which appears to be a bit less capable than a modern BX25. He is only 10 miles away or so, but he has 6 acres and a 1/2 mile long driveway and it is constantly being used. I think the only implement he has is a rake that he uses to spread gravel.

This is my total noob point of view so take it for what it is worth, but this is a real hard choice to make for you.

<snip> I would say your father is pretty close to you with a large machine.<snip>

His father is close with a LITTLE machine, 17HP, and a rake. TractorData.com Kubota B7200 tractor information

It's a LOT less capable than a BX25, 23HP, TractorData.com Kubota BX25 backhoe-loader tractor information or a B2620, 26 HP TractorData.com Kubota B2620 tractor information.

IMHO the B2620 w/ FEL plus $8K of other attachments or rental of a mini-ex (instead of the BH) sounds more useful.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #19  
IMHO the B2620 w/ FEL plus $8K of other attachments or rental of a mini-ex (instead of the BH) sounds more useful.

Agreed, big time. Also, you'll have better luck finding used attachments for the B. The bx needs pretty small scut specific, in most cases, three point implements.

/ Help me choose a tractor (a.k.a. sorry its another B vs BX thread) #20  
His father is close with a LITTLE machine, 17HP, and a rake. TractorData.com Kubota B7200 tractor information

It's a LOT less capable than a BX25, 23HP, TractorData.com Kubota BX25 backhoe-loader tractor information or a B2620, 26 HP TractorData.com Kubota B2620 tractor information.

Sorry I thought I read that his father had a larger machine....my bad.