BX1800 vs 2200

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #1  

JonWard

Tractor
getting BX1800
Okay. So I want a Kubota. With a loader and a mower. I've left the city for 3-4 wooded, lakefront acres in mid-Virginia. I need to move rocks and sand and mulch and to scrunch up leaves. I've been paying too much to a guy with a bobcat and wheelbarrows get real old after a while.
So...
Do I need more than a BX1800?

After 30 years in Manhattan and DC, All this is very new to me. I've enjoyed reading the archives.

-Jon

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #2  
I have a BX2200 and it has more than enough power for the loader and mowing with the 54" mower I have. I'm sure the 1800 would perform just as well since these applications don't really demand high horsepower and I usually find myself running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The only reason I would recommend the 2200 is if you plan on getting a snowblower. I'm sure the 1800 would run one but I can give my 2200 a pretty good workout with it. Physically the tractors are the same otherwise. If you have a lot of loader work to do I would recommend the ag tires. I have them on mine and mow with them too with no harm to my lawn since they are pretty wide, just use 2wd. They give good traction in the snow too and I have yet to find reason to need chains.

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #3  
Welcome to TBN Jon. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
The only real differents between the BX1800 an Bx2200 is the horse power and weight and of coarse the price.

It seem more people would rather have the BX2200 even the dealers also.

Like the gentleman stated about the snowblower rpm,also might to consider someday you may want a tiller.

Have found tractor shopping,and I hope this storm easy on you.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #4  
Welcome aboard Jon!
As you can probably tell from some of the archives most recommendations will be to get the most HP and features you can afford. As time goes on you'll find more and more projects for your tractor and the extra HP will be beneficial. Some of the guys on this forum have recommended to get one size larger tractor than you think you need to compensate for later projects that you may not think about now. Anyway, that's my two cents worth/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Good luck and happy shopping/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Scott

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #5  
Hello Jon and welcome to the forum!

Considering the price of the BX2200 with a loader, you may want to look into the larger B series. It's a lot more tractor and the prices are fairly close. Just a thought/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. You can never have too much tractor, just not enough room to turn around...

John Bud

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #6  
Welcome Jon!
I recently went through the decision making process on new tractor. For me, it was between the BX2200 or B2710. Went back and forth for over a year before I had to buy a new tractor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. The BX2200 (and BX1800) are both fine machines and would do well for you. BUT, as others have mentioned, consider going bigger. After checking internet dealers and local dealers I ended up with a brand new B2910 for less than $4000 more then the cost of a BX2200. I figured over the life of the tractor, that's nothin! My big concern was that it would be TOO big (is that possible?? /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif), but after about 5 hours on it, I'm REALLY glad I didn't go smaller. Give the B models some thought before making your decision. Good luck!

Jerry
<font color=orange>SE Minnesota</font color=orange>

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #7  
John_Bud writes ...

<<Considering the price of the BX2200 with a loader, you may want to look into the larger B series. It's a lot more tractor and the prices are fairly close. >>

My tractor experience is very limited (a couple weeks in orange), but from the couple months I spent pricing and comparing Kubota's I know there is a very insideous argument bound up in John's note.

Considering only hydromatic tractor models <BX1800/BX2200/B7400HSD/B7500HSD/B2410HSD> I see ...

POWER Ranking: (gross hp/PTO hp)
B7400 - 16/12.5
BX1800 - 18/13.7
B7500 - 21/16
BX2200 - 22/16.7
B2410 - 24/18

The BX1800 has the exact same engine as the B7400, but is rated at a higher RPM. The BX2200 is also rated as a higher RPM so is probably slightly inferior to the B7500s.

Hydraulic pump Capacity ranking (gal/min):
B7400 - 3.9 gpm
BX1800 - 5.5 gpm
BX2200 - 5.5 gpm
B7500 - 7.0 gpm
B2410 - 7.0 gpm

Power Steering:
The B7400 does not have power steering, makes it a poor choice for front end loader work and maybe a loser for lots of mowing. The rest have PS.

Instruments:
The B's have a tachometer, the BXs do not.

Weight/Dimensions:
The BXs are only a little lighter though a full 6" closer to the ground.

3pt Lift ranking: (force at centers/24" behind)
BX1800 - 1210/680lb
BX2200 - 1210/680lb
B7400 - 1356/1058lb
B7500 - 1356/1058lb
B2410 - 1655/1300lb

FEL:
The LA211 FEL for the BXs is a little longer reach, 5% less breakout force and 23% less center weight lift than the LA272 for B7x00s. Less power yet than the LA302 FEL which only fits the B7500. A lot less than the LA352 FEL for the B2410.

Price ranking: ?
I've been staring at new and used prices for several months and the best new deals I've seen, subtracting off the cost of all attachments (estimated) are:

BX1800 - $7500
B7400 - $7500
BX2200 - $8100
B7500 - $10000
B2410 - $12000 (?)
B2710 - $12500

The FELs increase in price significantly with capacity and often (oddly) the same basic mower deck will be discounted more on a smaller tractor.

==

Anyway - in my very inexperienced opinion, the BX1800 outguns the B7400 unless the 3pt lift capacity is an issue. The greater FEL capacity of the B7400 is limited by the lack of power steering and lesser stability. I would personally choose the BX for the power steering. Maybe the B7400 is a "loss leader" - a low-end, limited feature larger frame tractor at a very attractive price that entice buyers to look, but then the B7500hsd seems to have more of the necessary features for a $2500 upcharge and gets the PO.

The B7500 is a fair notch above the BX2200 features and the extra $1900 (23%) price tag makes it a real question if the extra performance matches extra price. Depends on your use. The taller frame and the availability of a greater capacity FEL and the 7gpm hydraulic pumps are unmatched by the BX2200, tho' the BX has a very slight rated HP advantage and a slightly lower gearing and may drag loads as well as its big brother.

The next step up from the BX2200/B7500 is the B2410 which wins on all these features, but for an extra $2k.

Honestly - there is no simple ordering of these tractors from least to best UNLESS you account for the way you intend to use them. The BX1800/BX2200/B7400 are very very close in price and trade power, lift capacity, hydraulic capacity and power steering. The B7500 and B2410 are progressive $2k step-ups from these and for my uses the B7500 is a little too close to the BX2200 to justify the difference unless you are a heavy FEL user or need more lift at the 3pt. If you want a belly mower the B7400 is only recommended for 54", the rest are 60" but you'd need a B2710 for the 72" belly mower! If mowing is the major chore - BX1800 is at a very nice price/performance point.

Although I've seen discussions of backhoes on BXs I think that's foolish. I'd plan on getting/renting a B2410 or above for backhoe or trencher work.

There is a very slippery slope of feature/price trade-offs here, and Kubota has done a great job of making your life as a buyer difficult. The $600 step from a BX1800 to BX2200 is cheap for the extra 22% horsepower and esp the extra 3 PTO HP - but only *IF* you need it. The B7400 entices you to a bigger tractor and greater ground clearance at a cheaper price than the the BX2200 but loses power & power steering. To buy back the power & PS and a bit more you're "into" a B7500 at $10k. Once there you'll find you're missing the size and position control of a "real" tractor and you're gross HP is a hair less than that little BX2200 so it's a big leap to $12k for a B2410. After that jump then the tiny ($500-700) steps from B2410 to B2710 to B2910 are easy and ....then you'll need to start looking at the L-series brochures.

Your wife may intervene by the time you bring home those L-series brochures for your lawn tractor replacement /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif so let me dispense a little 'reality check' advice before she gets around to it. If you are comparing the BXs you'll find that almost the only Kubota specified difference is the engine & PTO HP and the bottom plow size. That doesn't mean you can sneeze at 22% more HP & PTO HP and 32% more torque. If you can use these for pushing & pulling and PTO drive devices they are probably worth the $600. I don't consider the B7400 to be a step up from the BX1800, and loss of mower width will cost you hours every month. The B7500 is a real improvement over BX2200 tho' mostly in lift and hydraulic capacity not power to the ground or PTO. If you will be using a FEL hard every weekend this is certainly worth the extra $2k. If it will mostly be a power wheelbarrow with occasional heavy use maybe you can live with the BXs lesser lift by taking smaller loads and pocket the $2k. I'd head for the B2410 and above for more serious digging and lifting anyway, but then you're $4.5k+ over the BXs.

Also JonWard might want to check out the used market carefully. I liked the BXs but was enticed toward the B2400 and B2150s since this would also accomodate my heavier occasional tasks and can be had used and low hours for a similar price. I was about to close on a (distant) B2150 then a local B2400 came up which would save transport cost, and at the last minute a used BX2200 equiped to my needs (FEL & 60" mower) came up for sale 80hrs of hobby farm use at a smokin' price. OK - so I'll have to rent a unit when I dig a pond, but I think my wife will take to the BX a lot better than a B2150 and I've saved enough to justify the rental.

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #8  
Stephan makes a bunch of very good points here. I went through many of the same issues myself, and ended up going with the B7500. The kicker (for me) was physically going down and *touching* the different models, PLUS a friend/neighbor had a B7100 (circa 1996).

The friend brought over the B7100 to show us "what it can do", and that really sold us. That plus the fact that he easily loaded the tractor (with FEL & back blade) into the back of his pickup truck for transport. I should take pictures of this; you gotta see it to believe it!

So I was convinced that the B7500 could "do the job", and I also saw that the B2x10's were just a tadd too big for what I had in mind.

I think the thing to take home here is that this process is different for every individual. This is my thought process, your mileage may vary....

Get the biggest darn thing your pocketbook can handle; but keep in mind the job you need to accomplish.

My 2cents

GlueGuy

/ BX1800 vs 2200
I want to thank everybody for their comments and especially Stephen for his term paper on the differences. I need to keep in mind that power wheelbarrow and cutting 3/4 acre of clover are my main uses. No grass. One snow a year in Virginia. And I'm such a newbie that I think I'll start small, work slowly and, of course, read the forums to see what I should have bought. Now if I could just get a BX1800 into a PT Cruiser...

Thanks again all,

Jon

/ BX1800 vs 2200 #10  
I have three tractors, from the BX to an L35 TLB.

If I was going to get one tractor for basic work it would be JD 4300 or B2410 or B2710, or their equivalent "Blue" compatriots.

The BX is really designed for light work. Its low clearance is a problem in mud or rough terrain. It is an advantage on slopes. It's short wheelbase allows it to go places not much bigger than my garden tractor can..

It is a hell of a little workhorse for it's small size. Your wife may find it much more fun just from the looks of it, small, low and short. Definitely an unintimidating machine! I still smile everytime I look at mine. It's easy to get on, some women don't like to have to climb up on things I hear.

The HST is something a new owner can adapt to quickly.

Even if your work now is light, you may find a lot of things later that need a bigger unit. I've heard tho, that the resale is good on the BX's so if you decide to trade up later you should probably be able to.

Has your dealer suggested an at home demo? You might find you hate one or the other and/or love one or the other. Could save a big mistake. Driving one at the dealer is pretty much useless I found out, even in their "play pit".

Use it for a couple hours, every tractor seems OK, try a different size, brand and WOW!!! you learned you really want or like something different!

In your demo test, make sure you spend lots of time doing things that the wife want's done, even if you want to take the BX and push all of your junk cars into a pile or push over 2 foot diameter trees etc /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

happy hunting...