ZD21 vs F3060

/ ZD21 vs F3060 #1  

littlediesel

Silver Member
Tractor
L45 TLB, U35, KX71, U17 Excavators, B3030HSDC, F3680, ASV PT40
I am thinking of trading my Kubota ZD21 for a Kubota F2560 or F3060 frontrunner because I need a snowblower.

Have any of you guys had any experience with the Kubota F series mowers? Can i expect the cut be as good as the ZD21? Also, I am looking at the rear discharge deck, how good is the cut ?

Thanks for any help!!

Jon

/ ZD21 vs F3060 #2  
The F series tractors are great machines. I don't see why the cut would be any different - aren't the mowing decks essentially the same, i.e. RC60 or RC72? The F series won't turn quite as sharp, but almost with individual wheel braking. However a lot of sharp turns, expecially on asphalt or concrete will cause considerable wear on the steer tires. There are a several types of auxiallary equipment available. I have most of the toys for my F2400 including a tiller (I converted it from a 3ph unit quite easily), a sweeper, a snowblower and a dozer blade. I have thought about getting a leaf blower but the mower deck does a good enough job so I haven't bothered. A dealer once told me that one of the problems with a rear discharge deck is that the clippings fly back on the underside of the machine and can cause problems but he wasn't any more specific than that. If you have any sidehill areas including ditches, 4 wheel drive is the only way to go. Unless you have a specific need for more horsepower, I'd go with the F2260, it has plenty of power to run a 72" mower deck. If you are thinking about blowing snow, get a cab. I only use my cab in the winter, I take it off in the summer and put a ROPS on. You might want to consider getting a used machine. My tractor was owned by a small town for several years and had over 5000 hours on it when I bought it. I have been told repeatedly that these machines are good for at least 8000 hours. I run about 100 hours per year so the machine will outlast me. I bought it three years ago with mower deck, snowblower, dozer blade and cab for about US$6500. The most expensive maintenance item was replacing the alternator. If you want more info, send me a private message.

/ ZD21 vs F3060 #3  
Littlediesel,
I had an F3060 side discharge for about 6 months. I felt it was a great cutting machine and fun to drive. But, when I started to think about the winter use and priced the slowblower from Kubota for $4000, I opted to trade it in for a BX23 with a 60"mmm. I'm sure I took a loss on trading with just 50 hours. But it only cost me $3500 more to trade for the BX23 w/mmm. It would have cost me $4000 if I kept it and bought the snowblower. No luck on finding a used snowblower so that's why I traded. It is a fine machine if you decide to get one but not very versatile(for me) for the money.

Jerry

/ ZD21 vs F3060
Jerry,

Thanks for your reply!

Have you mowed any lawn with your new BX23 mid-mount? Do you think the front mount machine was much faster to mow with than the mid mount machine? I have a BX2200 mid mount machine and would suspect the front mount machines are much faster!

Thanks...Jon S.

/ ZD21 vs F3060 #5  
Jon,
I haven't yet received the BX23. Expected anyday now. The front mount mower was faster to use than the previous Kubota's(B2710 & B2400) mid mount mower. The quality of cut was about the same. The front mount mowers do allow you to get up closer to obstacles and are quicker at turning around.

If it weren't for the $4000 price tag for the snowblower I probably wouldn't have traded.

Jerry