B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
Just read the thread about the correct size Bush Hog to run with a B2320 Tractor. Looks like a 48 inch light duty Bush Hog is the best match for size/weight/PTO the B2320 tractor has.

My question is - will a B2320 with a 48 Bush Hog cut tall heavy grass/weeds mixed in with a few under 1/2 inch sapplings at a reasonable ground speed. Some times in the spring if it is wet and warm and I am late for the first spring cut my 2.5 acres of gently rolling field can get close to 4 feet high. Will the B2320 and 4 foot Bush Hog cut that type of growth at a reasonalble forward speed? Like to know your experience. Pictures are nice as well.

Thanks

Wayne

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #2  
I agree - the 4' cutter is probably the best size for that machine.
To cut 4' heavy grass, weeds & 1/2" saplings with 19 PTO HP running a 4 foot cutter?
I'd guess between 1.5 & 2.5 mph ground speed, taking a 3 foot cut.

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #3  
I think it will be able to accomplish the task. 4 foot tall grass is going to slow anybody down just for the simple visibility /safety aspect of it plus that's a lot of grass that has to get out from underneath the Bush hug so I would imagine you're not going to be cutting it too short.

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #4  
You should do just fine but when you get into some heavy stuff you will need to slow down considerably for sure , it won't be fast .

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well
Baby Grand, tman, and HEC

Thanks for your input. Sounds like the HST will be nice as you can slow forward speed down as required. After the first mow then usually only about 1 to max 2 foot growth.

Thanks again
Wayne

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #6  
I use a 48" generic rotary mower on my B7510. It has no more trouble with long grass than does my 35 hp TAFE on a Rhino 60". The difference is how the field looks a week later. The wide turf tires on the Kubota flatten a lot of grass which seems to come up later. The Rhino combined with ag tires on the TAFE makes for a much cleaner cut after a few days. I blame the off-brand 48" mower's blades for this and am considering replacing it with a 48" Rhino or Bush Hog.

Anybody in Eastern Ontario want a deal on a 4 year-old 48" rotary mower? New gear box under warranty last year.

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #7  
As mentioned by Baby Grand heavy/dense grass takes a lot of power. Less dense weed, sapling, brush combinations can actually go as fast or faster. Iv used the old JD 127 Gyramor on the B9200 which is about 20PTO - so 4hp per foot width. It does dense 1' grass at 3 or 4 mph cutting to 4", almost full width.. Your deeper grass will be a slow 1st cut.
larry

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #8  
I use a 48" generic rotary mower on my B7510. It has no more trouble with long grass than does my 35 hp TAFE on a Rhino 60". The difference is how the field looks a week later. The wide turf tires on the Kubota flatten a lot of grass which seems to come up later. The Rhino combined with ag tires on the TAFE makes for a much cleaner cut after a few days. I blame the off-brand 48" mower's blades for this and am considering replacing it with a 48" Rhino or Bush Hog.

Anybody in Eastern Ontario want a deal on a 4 year-old 48" rotary mower? New gear box under warranty last year.

My tires on the B2920 with R4s flattens down a some grass also. I don't consider it a problem with the tractor or mower. It's not really a problem just barely noticeable.

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #9  
My tires on the B2920 with R4s flattens down a some grass also. I don't consider it a problem with the tractor or mower. It's not really a problem just barely noticeable.
Big difference cutting w AGs vs turf or R4s. Much better results in hi grass w the AGs cause almost all the grass isnt fully flattened and springs up to get caught by the cutter.

You have to go much slower with the other tires to get equal results.
larry

/ B2320 with 48 inch Bush Hog(rotary cutter) - Can they cut heavy tall weeds well #10  
Bush "hug", cute. I am also looking for info on a cutter for my B2620. For most of my 5 acres I use the underbelly mower. Its "pasture" and can handle 3 -4 foot grass, even when wet. But I have a couple of hills that were bush hogged last year, and its still pretty rough up there. Stumps, etc and occasional rocks that pushed up during the Northern Minnesota winter freeze. I think I need a tow behind cutter. As always,I appreciate your input.