would you trade if you could

/ would you trade if you could #1  

bigbull338

Elite Member
Tractor
7040 HDC 1153 fel
ok this a crazy question.would you trade again if you could.i just traded a 2010 mx5100 hst 4x4 with fel for a 2013 7040SU 4x4 fel in july 2013.so now after baling with the 6105jd and raking and unloading hay with the 7040.they are trying to get me to trade for a 9960 cab 4x4 fel hydro shuttle or a 105 cab hydro shuttle 4x4 fel.im not planning on up trading because ive traded up last year.besides id prolly loose alot of money on trading again.

/ would you trade if you could #2  
The question is - do you need the extra abilities that the bigger tractor can provide? You know, if you up trade a brand new tractor you probably will take a bath.

The other thing to consider - did you make a serious mistake when you up traded to a Kubota M7040 and are you willing to admit it and take a bath on another up trade to a still larger machine? Not knowing your needs - I think you are exceedingly lucky to find a 2013 M7040.

If the M7040 will do what you need - stand your ground.

/ would you trade if you could #3  
For the jobs you list I can't see any real advantage unless you told them you feel short on power. My minimum requirement is full power shift or IVT/CVT and none of the options you talk about give you that.

/ would you trade if you could
we have 3 tractors mine is the 2013 7040su 4x4 fel 2007 case jx80 4x4 fel 2013 jd 6105d cab 4x4.the only time the other 2 are used are in the hay field.mine is the haying tractor and other work.the only reason that the trade talk came back into play is for a cab cutting tractor to pull a 10 to 12ft cutter.im not trading just to upgrade.if i did get a bigger cab tractor my plans are to keep the 7040.when i bought my 7040su i knew 3 dealers that had over 30 new 7040s between then cab and open stations 2 and 4wd drives.

/ would you trade if you could #5  
we have 3 tractors mine is the 2013 7040su 4x4 fel 2007 case jx80 4x4 fel 2013 jd 6105d cab 4x4.the only time the other 2 are used are in the hay field.mine is the haying tractor and other work.the only reason that the trade talk came back into play is for a cab cutting tractor to pull a 10 to 12ft cutter.im not trading just to upgrade.if i did get a bigger cab tractor my plans are to keep the 7040.when i bought my 7040su i knew 3 dealers that had over 30 new 7040s between then cab and open stations 2 and 4wd drives.

Not sure what type cutter you plan to use. We have a John Deere 630 MoCo which is 3 meters with urethane conditioning rolls for our alfalfa and red clover. It specifies 90 PTO HP min - we use a New Holland TS115A which runs a bit over 90 PTO HP and it is a good match. My nephew has a H7230 Discbine also with urethane rolls. It's 10'4" cut and requires 80 PTO HP. He uses a M105S which I believe is a 90 PTO HP. So I think it would come down to what type of cutter. Our backup is an old NH Haybine, 9' with urethane rolls. Our L5740 has no problem pulling that but it can't come close too keeping up with the disk mowers.

/ would you trade if you could #6  
Not sure what type cutter you plan to use. We have a John Deere 630 MoCo which is 3 meters with urethane conditioning rolls for our alfalfa and red clover. It specifies 90 PTO HP min - we use a New Holland TS115A which runs a bit over 90 PTO HP and it is a good match. My nephew has a H7230 Discbine also with urethane rolls. It's 10'4" cut and requires 80 PTO HP. He uses a M105S which I believe is a 90 PTO HP. So I think it would come down to what type of cutter. Our backup is an old NH Haybine, 9' with urethane rolls. Our L5740 has no problem pulling that but it can't come close too keeping up with the disk mowers.

The Ts 115's hp I find are under rated and most of our factory spec ones all dyno'd around 100hp at the shaft as our older TS115 turbo's were supposed to be 130 at the flywheel and were doing up to 125 at the shaft .

/ would you trade if you could #7  
go bigger only if the upgrade will solve a specific need that is deficient in the 7040. :2cents: now in the "want" dept....entirely different story :fiery: best to stay prudent. but i do not always follow my own advice good luck

/ would you trade if you could
the only thing that ive given into is a cab if i get another tractor.we are used to pulling 9ft krone disc cutters.we have the right hp tractors for what we do.so going up in hp would be a bonus.if i could id go up to 135hp kubota just because i have a big disk that needs 135hp to really plow the ground if we wanted to replant some meadows.