Buying Advice Kubota 2920

/ Kubota 2920 #1  

Al Mac

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2920
I am looking for info and sizing for a new tractor.

As the MF1020 Hydro works well I am running a little short on HP in heavy going. I cut 8 acres of grass and in the spring growing season the 1020 is working hard. Also in the winter I have 14,000 sq feet of snow to blow (over 500 foot drive and parking area). Here in the east side of Canada we get lots of snow. The 1020 has been keeping up for 10 years now but as I was at the dealer (getting parts) I was looking at the new Kubota's. I know that was my first mistake.

The owner/sales priced up a 2920 he has with a loader and would put turf tires on it, MMM -60", and 6 foot puma blower. I never had a loader and would think it would be handy.

Question, are these good units, would this be a good size, should I be looking at a another size for the best bang for the buck.

Al

/ Kubota 2920 #2  
Depends how fast you want to get done. I have a B2620 and it does everything I could ask. I have done dirt work I never believed that little tractor would pull off. I also live in snow country (northern Ontario) and my 51" rear Kubota blower is awesome.
Yes a bigger cabbed tractor would be sweet....but not for my mowing. I wouldn't want anything heavier than a B series on my lawn (and I'm all hardpack and sandy soil.)
They are very well built and reliable tractors and very easy to service.

If you didn't have to make any turns or go around lots of obstacles, a bigger tractor may be ok to mow with. My friend mows with a Massey 1635 cab and it is fine, but like I say, my B will make marks with all the maneuvering I have to do.

Another big selling point of the B2920 is no DPF muffler. Buy it while you still can find one.

/ Kubota 2920
Tks for the info. I never thought about the DPF part of these units just thought it was for road rigs. It would be good to get one before that is on them.

So with any good luck and a hard bottom check I will own this unit. With me if ideas don't go away after several months. Then I just go for it.

Al

/ Kubota 2920 #4  
Your eyes wandered away from the parts counter....expensive gaze!

I had a 2920 and for the work you outlined, I think you would be pretty pleased. Is that a front mount snowblower? You could always go to the larger B3200 but then you would have a ground riding MMM and not a suspended deck MMM like on the 2920 and a little more money.
The new tier 4 engines for the latest models, 2650 and 3350 will be even more money. But I read these models now have a floating deck and some other very nice features. The larger B's have 72" decks available if that is a concern cutting the 8 acres.

You could always go to dealer and price out a 3200 and either the new 2650 or 3350 (without cabs) to see the difference.
Or for immediate info gratification, go to Kubota's website and use the build it now feature and build the 2920, 3200, and 2650/3350 the same way (turfs, loader, MMM, blower, etc.). Write down the totals. You will have a msrp for each and see the proportional difference in pricing and a baseline for comparison.

I looked up your Massey and it looks to be a similar size tractor frame wise, though with less hp like you stated. How underpowered does the massey seem when mowing? Is it due to frequency or type of conditions incurred when mowing?

Having said all of that, I do not think you will be underpowered with the 2920.

The 2920 has a dual speed rear pto. Pretty much a bulletproof tractor.

You will love having a loader....more than a little handy!

/ Kubota 2920 #5  
I love my b2920 and have found it has plenty of power. The mowing and snow should be a perfect use providing you size the implements right. I also use the BH and FEL a lot, the only place I miss more power / size is in moving large boulders, but no small tractor is going to do that we'll.

/ Kubota 2920
It gets expensive when the parts people are busy and sales people are looking to chat to someone.

I did check on the 2650 and the 3350 also. The larger deck would be nice but I am using a 60 inch now and the 72 inch would be a tight fit in some areas (gates).
The blower is on the 3 point hitch that will let me use the loader for that bucket snow. The dealer quoted me on a Pronovost (Quebec made)72 inch blower. Those that I have asked say the Pronovost is a better blower that the Kubota ones. I don`t have any personal knowledge about either one.
It is a expensive orange unit. I guess the midlife sports car will be Orange with turf tires and fun to play with.

The 1020 works will for almost all the work. It is those heavy snow days that I am working it hard and in the spring cutting grass for those first 4 cuttings where it is growing fast and thick.

Tks for making me think as I will need work lights for the blower. I missed that.

Al

/ Kubota 2920 #7  
I have a B2920 and I have almost 200 hours on it. It is a fantastic machine. The loader is nicely sized for the tractor, PLENTY of HP for the 5' MMM even in wet/heavy grass, plenty of power for the 4' rotary cutter. I don't have a snow blower, so I can't comment there. I do have the kubota front snow blade, (hydro lift and angle) and that works very well. 4wd and power steering is also excellent.

IMHO it is just the right size. Nimble enough for the MMM, enough PTO HP for 3pt attachments, enough weight to utilize the loader and 3pt plow.

Just got the hoe.

aIB5tRf.jpg

N5IUjMb.jpg

ETA: I never thought such small loader would be so useful. I have a loader on the M7040, and the ford 4500, but the 2920 almost get used exclusively now.

/ Kubota 2920 #8  
I am like Buck Boost, my go to tractor is my B26 (same frame size as the Bxxxx series). It is very nimble and much easier to see what I am doing with the FEL compared to my LS P7010C with cab and I can put the B26 in spots that I cant even get the P7010 FEL in.

/ Kubota 2920
Well you have said it all. Not anything about the 2920 or the others in the series that was negative.

So in about a week I will have a new 2920 to play with as I call the dealer and told them to get it ready.

Thank you for all your comments on the unit. I did miss the work light for the rear blower ( came up in one post) and that will be installed. If anyone thinks of any other things that should be addressed for the check drops. please let me know.

As a new member (a little green) this has been great to have the peoples comments and to here that knowledge from being hands on.
Thank You
Al

/ Kubota 2920 #10  
Congrats! I think you will be very pleased with your decision. It surprising how much work can be done with one of these "little" tractors. And with such a small amount a fuel.

If you are going to be doing loader work any near the max rated load of the loader, (from the hip I think its right around 800 lbs) you will NEED REAR ballast. The kubota dealer probably stocks a three point hitch weight box. Or you could use a heavy implement like your snow blower, tiller ect.

I'm not sure what your primary use will be, but you may want to consider having your rear tires filled. I bought mine with 26 hours on used, and the original owner didn't say anything having fluid in the rears. Long story long, (lol) I went to pull the rears off for the backhoe installation, and holy toledeo. I didn't realize that a loaded rear tire/rim/rimgaurd weighs in over 300 lbs per side. For loader work, and any ground engaging activity, the loaded tires are nice. And you will probably still more rear ballast than just loaded rears. Even for finish mowing, I'm glad mine are filled.

Consider having your dealer fix you up with all the filters/fluid that it takes to do a 50 hour service (assuming you are going to do it yourself). Maybe the dealer might cut you a little break on the price of stuff also. I would highly recommend going with Super UDT 2 hydraluic/trans fluid. It gets really cold up by you and that fluid should give you the best cold weather performance out of your hydro trans in the frigid temps. It is more money than the other kubota fluids, but worth it, for its cold weather performance and quieter hydro.

Just one other note, the stock dynamo (alternator like) charging system is only rated I think is 14 amps. So if you foresee a large electrical or lighting load on the tractor kubota sells a high amp alternator kit.