What size L or Grand L?

/ What size L or Grand L? #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
My friend is wanting to buy a new(or used) tractor. He's really wanting a Kubota and I don't know a lot about them to give him good advice so I came to the experts. He currently has a small tractor (27pto hp, not sure what engine hp) and has a 5' disk and bush hog. He wants to step up to 6' impliments and I know the disk he's looking at weighs around 800#. The bush hog he wants is a new Bush Hog BH16 like mine. It's a light duty cutter with a 65hp gear box.

I can tell you he will be bush hogging some tall weeds and disking in pretty sandy soil so I told him deffinately get 4wd. My question is he's debating on a new L3901, 4701 and had also found a nice used L4240. Should he also look at a new L3560 or perhaps even a 4060? Maybe try to find a 3940?

I have no idea which transmission he'd want or anything else. Maybe you could suggest some other used model Kubotas to look for?

/ What size L or Grand L? #2  
If the 4240 is clean, that is the one I would gravitate toward.

/ What size L or Grand L?
If the 4240 is clean, that is the one I would gravitate toward.

He said it had 250 hours on it and found it on tractor house that some dealer had. I wanna say he said the price was $22 or $23? Came with fel and was a hydro.

/ What size L or Grand L? #4  
L4240 would be the one for me. Looks like a nice machine, asking $21.5. He can probably get it for 20K. :thumbsup:

/ What size L or Grand L? #5  
I concur with James and Brian.

L4240 will have ample power and traction for 6' and 7' implements, plus it has the wonderful bells and whistles common to the Kubota 'Grand L's.

Last edited:
   / What size L or Grand L? #6  
He said it had 250 hours on it and found it on tractor house that some dealer had. I wanna say he said the price was $22 or $23? Came with fel and was a hydro.

I would get out the 20 grand, and wave it in the guys face, and see if he would take it. That would make your friend a VERY nice tractor

/ What size L or Grand L?
I see this tractor has the heavier la854 loader on it. Is that a good loader? Is that the standard one that comes on that model?

/ What size L or Grand L? #8  
Kubota and Deere make the most reliable tractors out there, that includes the factory FELs and Backhoes.

I have a Kubota LA805 FEL on my L3560. LA805 lift capacity 500mm forward of the pin, and to a height of 1500mm, is 1,786 pounds, so it is stout.

The LA854 loader will have around 6% GREATER lift capacity (1,890 [+/-] pounds) under same conditions.

Extrapolating from my FEL Owner's Manual I am 90% sure LA854 was the standard Kubota FEL offered on the L4240.

Last edited:
   / What size L or Grand L? #9  
I see this tractor has the heavier la854 loader on it. Is that a good loader? Is that the standard one that comes on that model?

I believe that was standard for the 4240. Some of the smaller units in the lineup had the LA723. Your friend would be very happy with that package.

/ What size L or Grand L? #10  
If only Murph------ will signal his concurrence you can move forward with confidence.

Murph------ is our ultimate authority.