Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #1  

sjm1580

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HST, Takeuchi TL220, Kubota zd221
Getting prices on a MX5200 and an L4901 from south Florida Orange dealers. So far the MX5200 is only about $1250 more than the L4901 so I am leaning towards the MX. Had a B3200 with HST so I am leaning towards the HST as opposed to a shuttle shift.

I have 10 acres that I am looking to clear of palmettos, brush, small trees and the like and then use the machine on the property for a nursery business. Need to buy with the FEL and probably a Bradco grapple. Brush cutter is a must.

Love to hear comments or other suggestions on other machines I should be looking at.

As always, thanks for the help, it has been invaluable in the past!

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #2  
Getting prices on a MX5200 and an L4901 from south Florida Orange dealers. So far the MX5200 is only about $1250 more than the L4901 so I am leaning towards the MX. Had a B3200 with HST so I am leaning towards the HST as opposed to a shuttle shift.

I have 10 acres that I am looking to clear of palmettos, brush, small trees and the like and then use the machine on the property for a nursery business. Need to buy with the FEL and probably a Bradco grapple. Brush cutter is a must.

Love to hear comments or other suggestions on other machines I should be looking at.

As always, thanks for the help, it has been invaluable in the past!

What do you HAVE to lift? Are the FEL's rated the same?

I've an M4700, sort of a precursor to the MX5200. I think the extra PTO HP would be worth it on the 5200.

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #3  
Before you buy that Bradco grapple, look at other manufacturers. There are a lot of different guys out there with prices that vary an incredible amount. Several advertise right here on TBN. :cool:

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901
What do you HAVE to lift? Are the FEL's rated the same?

I've an M4700, sort of a precursor to the MX5200. I think the extra PTO HP would be worth it on the 5200.

The main lifting power I need is for the initial land clearing. I plan on clearing small pine trees with this machine and removing the larger pines with a track machine and then moving them with the Kubota. I should have also mentioned I am considering a Kioti DK50, but the dealer is about 100 miles away from me and the Kubota is about 20 miles. Still need to compare prices though.

Before you buy that Bradco grapple, look at other manufacturers. There are a lot of different guys out there with prices that vary an incredible amount. Several advertise right here on TBN. :cool:

Thanks, I was looking at Everything Attachments models and was wondering about the quality. Seems really solid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #6  
Thanks, I was looking at Everything Attachments models and was wondering about the quality. Seems really solid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I consider the EA grapples to be about the best of that type for our utility tractors, but they are very expensive. If the cost is not prohibitive, then they are the way to go in my opinion. But if cost is a factor, you might want to take a look at these guys, they advertise here on TBN as well. For myself, it would be between these 2 companies. ;)

Do you see very much grading that you may need to do?

I consider the EA grapples to be about the best of that type for our utility tractors, but they are very expensive. If the cost is not prohibitive, then they are the way to go in my opinion. But if cost is a factor, you might want to take a look at these guys, they advertise here on TBN as well. For myself, it would be between these 2 companies. ;)

Do you see very much grading that you may need to do?

I will do some finish grading but I don't see getting a box blade. Just use the FEL and make do. I am really concerned about having enough hp and weight to do the clearing that I need to do and not spend to much rental time on the trackhoe. The Mahindra 50 - 55 hp models are interesting as well and are heavier.

Just worry about future resale with the Kioti and Mahindra if I ever need to part with my future baby.

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #8  
I have the m5700 and really like it , I would go for mx5200 and take a look at the rachet rake among your other interests, they don't cost much and do a great job . You can go to the rachet rake site and watch a video . I use it for grading etc. etc. .Having the tractor dealer close by can be of a great benefit .

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #9  
If resale is a high concern of yours, stop looking and just buy the Kubota. If you want to get the most work done, then get the Mahindra. I personally would get the machine that fit me the best, meaning what tractor I was the most comfortable on and liked where the controls are the best. I can't see purchasing something that you plan on keeping, but may have to sell if stuff changes, so want to have the best resale. So you have a tractor for 20 years that may or may not fit you, but it will be the best machine to sell IF you have to. That's fine if you plan on selling it as businesses do every few years, otherwise get the one that fits you the best is my line of thinking.

If you have just about any grading to do, doing it with the loader is not the way to do it. You really should have some sort of a grading implement, even a good landscape rake. That would serve double duty, help clean up stuff as well as being able to grade with it.

All things to consider. ;)

/ Input needed (What to Get) Looking at MX5200 / L4901 #10  
At the risk of stating the obvious, you're gonna want SSQA option for the FEL and 3rd function valve for grapple.

Before picking up, I would ask dealer to pressure test the FEL valve and shim as necessary. Some have reported coming new under spec.