Buying Advice Kubota for NH woodlands

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
We are purchasing a camp with a little over 10 acres of land near Mt Sunapee, NH. There is a roughly 200 yard gravel drive, about a half acre of grass and flowers behind the house, and about 150 yards of old stone wall on two sides of the cleared area, although brush and saplings have started encroaching and will have to be cleared to see the stone wall again. There is a mountain brook that runs through the front of the property and the land near it is wet in the spring. There is a good-sized garage that should accommodate anything we might use.

There are a few trails on the property and we'd like to start maintaining the forest, so we might have to be doing some skidding if we choose to drag a tree-length log out to a staging area, otherwise we would cut the wood in place to cord length or smaller and take it out in the bucket. The property slopes uphill from the house but I'm not sure how narrow any trails might be. There are a lot of trees: here shown the house, garage, and our new neighbors - the trees.
image-L.jpg

This is a second home, mostly for skiing and winter sports, and we plan to hire someone local to plow the driveway after storms, since we may not be there. But we will have to clean up after storms, in particular the snowbanks at the end of the drive as it's hard to see out. We have a walk-behind snow thrower (Ariens 926 Pro) to clean up around the house.

I've spoken to the dealer about a B2920SU and an L3200, both with FEL and backhoe. The suggestion is that we will need the backhoe for stumps and stone wall maintenance, will the FEL will be handy for snow cleanup, moving dirt, stumps, firewood etc. A brush cutter is probably in the works but I am going to buy a heavy-duty string trimmer first to go exploring, as there are some sloping areas that I won't be able to clear anyway.

The dealer suggests that the L3200, being heavier and with a higher capacity implements, is a better tractor for woods clearing than the B series. But when I visited the John Deere dealer he had another take. He suggested that after a year or two of cleanup, a machine of that size would be too big and I would be better served by getting a smaller tractor and working it harder.

I can see both sides of that coin here: some people who've bought "too big" and others who've bought "too small." Most of my friends with tractors have B series of 20-something horsepower and are content, so the idea that I might be going too big is at the back of my mind.

Am I missing anything?

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #2  
I'm with the dealer that suggests the L. Not that much bigger than a B, but the extra weight lets you apply the power to the ground.

BTW, beautiful camp!

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #3  
I had a light-frame Kubota B3300SU tractor-loader. Now I have a heavy frame L3560 tractor loader, only slightly larger than the B3300SU.

The heavier tractor is much more stable/safe performing the tasks you have outlined on sloped ground.

Especially if you do not have considerable tractor operating experience, buy the heavier L3200.

Last edited:
   / Kubota for NH woodlands #4  
look @ MX 5(?)00 for the job. your site is awesome. can't go wrong w/mx for power & agility in your applic imho btw the trees are the best of neighbors...

/ Kubota for NH woodlands
Looks like I'll go ahead with an L3200, FEL, backhoe, quick release bucket, possibly brush cutter.

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #6  
Consider getting the biggest bucket available... my old B8200 had a 4' bucket, my newer L3130 has a big 6' bucket, and the difference in the amount of firewood I can load in it is maybe twice as much, or even more... it ain't the weight, it's the volume.

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #7  
Looks like I'll go ahead with an L3200, FEL, backhoe, quick release bucket, possibly brush cutter.

SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) bucket is a good idea.

Pin on quick attach bucket is not a good idea. I had a pin on quick attach bucket on my B3300SU. In the woods, brush flipped off a lynch pin, a FEL pin worked out and the FEL support was bent; an expensive repair.

SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) bucket is a good idea.

Pin on quick attach bucket is not a good idea.
It's optional but the standard skid steer system, seems a no-brainer. Don't recall the bucket size but I want a big 'un for snow.
image-L.jpg

What is a "3-Point Stabilizer Kit?" Is that just a screw on stabilizer set?

Do I want cruise control? I'm working in a 700 foot box. $205.

/ Kubota for NH woodlands #10  
Not sure about the stabilizer kit but I find cruise control handy even when working in a smaller area . It is not needed but very nice to have .If you ever decide to use a snow blower it would be great to have . Good choice on the L series .