How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place.

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place.
So when you were standing there at the dealership thinking about buying one, did that memory of that li'l orange tractor play through your head with you driving it?

Sure did!!! But I couldn't have told you what model it was or what models BX were even offered in. Some guys join TBN and do a lot of research, apparently, on the various machines. We get all those kind of threads all the time and that's great. Others, seem to get the brochures or read for hours on Kubota.com and read every spec and study and study. I gotta say, I had never heard of TBN nor had I read the brochures or studied the website. I had no idea how expensive they were either.

To show how uninformed I was, my first BX came home without a FEL. hahaha. Hard to believe now, but it's true. I was back buying a FEL in a crate a few months later.

DSCF1899.jpgDSCF1900.jpg

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #12  
Having finally hired an excavator about a year and a half ago to clear about an acre of my steeply sloped view property and pile it the debris into piles, I realized I needed a small tractor to help with burn piles, firewood prep, access roads, terracing, block walls, and grading, I went looking at tractors one day. Heard good things about Kubotas and a very good dealer was close by. I walked in the store with my wife assuring her I wasn't going to buy anything but just intending to see what my options were and what it was going to cost.

We walked out of there a couple hours later with a new BX25D zero down, zero interest... a bullet proof insurance policy and as excited as I was when I had my first child 25 years ago! Then did all the research after the fact here on TBN! But I was quite impressed by the salesman who assured me this was what I needed and I had already purchased Stihl products from them so I was ignorantly confident. Turned out to be much more capable and usable than I dreamed. I have just completed my 200hr service after 15 months of ownership. I have been pretty tough on my BX but it seems to take anything I throw at it. A few seat pucker moments I have had... but I thoroughly enjoy and respect what this little beast can do.

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #13  
Sure did!!! But I couldn't have told you what model it was or what models BX were even offered in. Some guys join TBN and do a lot of research, apparently, on the various machines. We get all those kind of threads all the time and that's great. Others, seem to get the brochures or read for hours on Kubota.com and read every spec and study and study. I gotta say, I had never heard of TBN nor had I read the brochures or studied the website. I had no idea how expensive they were either.

To show how uninformed I was, my first BX came home without a FEL. hahaha. Hard to believe now, but it's true. I was back buying a FEL in a crate a few months later.

So how did you find out about this forum? What brought you here?

Myself, I found this forum after stopping to look at a used Bobcat CT225 that saw sitting along the side of the road. I had no idea that Bobcat made tractors. So I went home and googled Bobcat tractors and this forum popped up in the returns. I remember so well because I ended up buying one shortly afterward.

So do you remember what brought you here?

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #14  
......................... We walked out of there a couple hours later with a new BX25D zero down, zero interest... a bullet proof insurance policy and as excited as I was when I had my first child 25 years ago!..................

They sure do make it an awful attractive offer. I was just pricing a front snowblower setup for my BX and they offered me $0 down and 0% for two years on just the attachment.

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #15  
A google search on BX's got me to TBN... reading stuff that 4shorts was doing got me to join and pitch in on the fun and learning. A few others here have been inspirations as well, whether they be pros or hobbyists, but it seems the peanut gallery eventually causes some good folks to eventually limit their participation. Yes, thick skin and careful wording of posts will go a long way, but I find it disheartening to see some folk here attack others personally... seemingly just because they don't have the same opinion or background.

That said... TBN is an incredible source for knowledge and learning especially on fairly obscure subjects and details!

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place.
So how did you find out about this forum? What brought you here?

No, I cannot recall how I came upon TBN, but it was through surfing for something no doubt. What I did find out was that I had bought a BX but boy, did I catch heck for not having bought the loader. hahaha TBN can cost you money, if you're not careful.

I enjoyed TBN so very much and spent a lot of time posting back then. I took almost 2 years "off" as work elsewhere kept me pre-occupied, but I still checked in to read now and again. Things I like the most? Benefitting from seeing things like the stabilizers from Mark Hodge. :thumbsup: Or reading about the adventures of 4Shorts and his work.

What I dislike is politics (never enter in) or the silly BX versus B discussions. As I've had both, there's only so many times you can say, "they're different", not one better or one worse. I've pretty much given up on those endless kinds of debates.

There aren't a ton of us who've actually and intentionally and knowingly and deliberately bought a BX again after owning and then selling a larger tractor, precisely because we wanted to. I'm enjoying my second BX as much as my first one. This time around? I was a much more informed and educated buyer. No stumble involved. :)

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #17  
I found TBN becoz I did a goole search on my recently acquired Kubota B7100D looking for info on my (antique) tractor. Best site I belong to on any subject. I like hearing what people have to say on most topics. I soak up knowledge on most anything like a thirsty man on the desert, coz I am an egghead. This site is way better than Jeopardy for that. I read almost every post, every day..and bout 4 books a week besides. Knowledge is my hobby.

Tractors are very useful tools to own if you live out in the boonies and need to get stuff done yourself. Getting stuff done is very satisfying..in any field. I like resourceful people. TBN has lots of them.

Jix

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #18  
Don't have a BX story, although my FIL has one. I stumbled upon the L series myself, L3130, L5030, L3940. Look out JT, I'm catching up. :laughing:

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #19  
I admired the BXs on the dealer lot many times. I ended up with mine from a friend who didn't use it. It was a deal I couldn't refuse. I sold a Honda Rincon ATV I didn't need and bought the BX for what I sold the quad for. It was well worth it, I use the little bugger more than I could've imagined.

/ How I stumbled into a Kubota BX in the first place. #20  
My wife and I had sold our city house and bought a 40 acre homestead in the country back in 2007 that had the house and garage heated by wood and a long driveway. The house came with a Husqvarna lawn tractor so the three acres of lawn was not an issue. I did immediately buy a ATV with plow for the 300 feet for driveway. But that was pretty tough going after the first winter. Spring weather showed to me how much swales and ditches I needed to improve to keep the garage and septic bed from flooding.
SO I started sniffing around the tractor dealer a mile away. I did some google searches on web about the BX. (including finding TBN) . I did initially want to get the model with the backhoe , but that extra $5000 or more was too much and I knew from my teenager days and helping a landscaper, that I could do plenty with just the FEL ?I went for the BX2660 with FEL and weight box and then quickly added a rototiller the first year.
It met all my expectations, with me doing hundreds for yards of swales and ditches with shallow ones done with rototiller (clay) and deeper ones done with bucket from the side of the ditches. Replaced two large culverts too?..and the bucket helped to keep the snow banks under control with ATV plow still doing most of it. Hauled many tree length logs down from my woodlot. Then started doing trails thru my bush using the tractor FEL and added all the other attachments as time went on to help with that including wood chipper and BrushHog. Also finally got a rear mounted snowblower and that has made the winter so much easier !!!!! I love that it is simple to do maintenance and it enjoys fitting easily in my garage. Other must have options that I added was a toothbar and rear wheel spacers and lately the stabilizers turnbuckle replacements from Mark Hodge. I made on my own a rear blade , and a wood and plexi cab of sorts.
My best investment ever and my son in laws will be fighting over it when I croak.