Buying Advice Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #1  

lipancreek

Tractor
JD 5065e, Ford 5610S
We have a lot of mesquite thorns so I am always having flats. I am looking at new Kubota models in the 50 hp range and one farmer/rancher told me to be sure and get the R4 tires, that the R4 design will get fewer flats than R1.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the stock Kubota R1 tires will get more flats than the stock R4? Assuming, for example, both tires are Goodyear Titan that come stock on the Kubota. The dealer I asked this question didn't want to commit to an answer. I like the more aggressive ag tread for my use, but I definitely want the fewest flats possible. Is this just an old wives tale or do R4 tires really resist flats more than R1? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #2  
I've heard the R-4's are more puncture proof but I'm no expert but I'm sure someone else will come along.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #3  
Why not foam fill?

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #4  
There is zero comparison there for puncture resistance, the R-4s will win all day long.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #5  
Agree with Wolfy. The R4s are not puncture proof but they are head and shoulders above R1s.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #6  
Why not foam fill?

I agree R1 with foam work great. R4 are worthless in mud and doing things like disking plowing pulling trailers in soft ground. If you have animals you and have barns to clean you would not want r4.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #7  
You will lose about 10 % traction with r4 tires per dealer , but the rubber isn't as soft . I went with r4's on my 5700 for the very reason you mentioned . I pull a 3 bottom plow , take care of snow with no problem at all . If I had a 2wd drive I would want R1's for sure . I am glad I went with r4's and I was very sketical about that decision as I had always had r1's on previous tractors . If I was going to be in mud , or manure quite often like mentioned above I would lean towards R1's .

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #8  
We have a lot of mesquite thorns so I am always having flats. I am looking at new Kubota models in the 50 hp range and one farmer/rancher told me to be sure and get the R4 tires, that the R4 design will get fewer flats than R1.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the stock Kubota R1 tires will get more flats than the stock R4? Assuming, for example, both tires are Goodyear Titan that come stock on the Kubota. The dealer I asked this question didn't want to commit to an answer. I like the more aggressive ag tread for my use, but I definitely want the fewest flats possible. Is this just an old wives tale or do R4 tires really resist flats more than R1? Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

R4's will resist punctures better than R1's. Are they puncture proof? No. But are tougher hence the industrial name.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input. If I do go with R1 sounds like I ought to budget in the foam. My current main tractor (IH 547) has had R1 rear tires and ag rib front tires... over the years its gotten slow leaks in both R1 rears and the front ag rib tires had so many flats I replaced them with 10 ply truck tires. The ag rib fronts were truly almost unusable here. I'm glad to hear the R4 may be tougher.

/ Kubota with R4 vs R1 tires #10  
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input. If I do go with R1 sounds like I ought to budget in the foam. My current main tractor (IH 547) has had R1 rear tires and ag rib front tires... over the years its gotten slow leaks in both R1 rears and the front ag rib tires had so many flats I replaced them with 10 ply truck tires. The ag rib fronts were truly almost unusable here. I'm glad to hear the R4 may be tougher.

I've had good luck with the stock R4s on my M7040, I run through some fairly heavy Mesquite and Huisache thorns while shredding some areas and haven't had a flat *yet.

I also have a 3600 Ford with 10 ply R1s on the rear and foamed front Ag tires. Had a flat every year or two on the rears of the Ford when doing the same work, the front Ag tires would have been unusable without the foam -- thorns actually ball up on the tires when running through clippings in mowed areas.