Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #1  

gogo

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3200HST
Hey Everyone,
I am still in the market for my L3901. Some ranchers in the area are stuck on gear shift vs HST. I drove the HST and loved it. Since this will be my first tractor, I want to make the best choice. The price difference is $1K less for the GST. Is it worth the savings? Right now 0% financing and 2K off for tractor and implements
Thanks

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #2  
GST are defiinetly less convenient to drive. But they are bullet proof, if you know how to use the clutch properly Changing a clutch is cheaper than rebuilding an HST tranny..and GST give more useable power to the axle. I value the GST over the HST in my applications

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #3  
GST are defiinetly less convenient to drive. But they are bullet proof, if you know how to use the clutch properly Changing a clutch is cheaper than rebuilding an HST tranny..and GST give more useable power to the axle. I value the GST over the HST in my applications

And clutches wear out, especially with new users,and require splitting the tractor, to replace, a job that nearly always require a dealers mechanic to do and Hydrostats rarely give any trouble and practically never wear out. Hydro all the way!:) Let the war of gear vs. hydro begin.:)

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #4  
For someone's first tractor, who already says they loved driving the hydro, there's absolutely no question in my mind. Get the hydro. It's easier to learn and much safer for beginners.

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #5  
If this is for non-ag use, go with the HST. You already said you loved it. It takes 2 or 3 HP to drive the HST, but you won't miss that power with the L3901, and the HST is worth it. Most of these new tractors have more HP than they can put to the ground anyway. Mine will spin all four tires, and it is heavier than the L3901 and mine has loaded rears. You will never miss the power, nor even notice it. Not many issues with either type of transmission.

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #6  
For someone's first tractor, who already says they loved driving the hydro, there's absolutely no question in my mind. Get the hydro. It's easier to learn and much safer for beginners.

He pretty much answered his own question, didnt he ? lol

1k isnt much over the life of a tractor, if it was 3 or 4k then hmmm!

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission
He pretty much answered his own question, didnt he ? lol

1k isnt much over the life of a tractor, if it was 3 or 4k then hmmm!

Well I think you're right. I also found a used one for 20K with 75 hours. I don't like shifting but saving 7K may sway me. I'll keep pondering. ALTHOUGH, I can't wait too long cause the 0% financing is over on the 1st. Does anyone know if they keep the financing going through the beginning of the new year usually? Thanks

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #8  

And clutches wear out, especially with new users,and require splitting the tractor, to replace, a job that nearly always require a dealers mechanic to do and Hydrostats rarely give any trouble and practically never wear out. Hydro all the way!:) Let the war of gear vs. hydro begin.:)

Maybe everyone in this thread already knows, I don't. So hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack:

Could someone explain what each of these are - and in a little more in depth than the G = Gear, H = Hydro - please?

And just for the record, I have the L4330 GST; but in my defense, I bought it before I knew how to spell tractor much less what GST meant; hopefully that gives me some slack.......

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #9  
GST generally stands for glide-shift-transmission. HST is HydroStatic Transmission.

I think the OP is using GST to mean manual transmission. In this case it's a synchronized 8x8 I think, which would still require clutching to shift gears or change directions. A GST allows shifting and reversing without clutching if I'm correct.

/ Kubota L3901 4X4 HST VS GST Transmission #10  
Maybe everyone in this thread already knows, I don't. So hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack:

Could someone explain what each of these are - and in a little more in depth than the G = Gear, H = Hydro - please?

And just for the record, I have the L4330 GST; but in my defense, I bought it before I knew how to spell tractor much less what GST meant; hopefully that gives me some slack.......

Well here is the thing.. He called the manual transmission in an L3901 a GST (glideshift) and it is not. The manual transmission in an L3901 is a syncro shuttle.. a very distant cousin to a true GST (Glideshift).. glideshift is a Kubota exclusive on the Grand L series and is a hydraulic shift pack that allows clutchless shifting between forward and reverse. Glideshift is a very complicated gear transmission. But a L3901 does not have one.