Kubota size able to handle round bales

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Looking to upgrade the 2003 BX2200 with something that can handle mowing (MMM) and moving round bales with the loader. Can the newer B2650 handle a bale on a bucket spear? Or am I looking for the impossible and should expect to use a 3-point spear instead for a dual use tractor?

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #2  
Depends on the round... They can weigh 800->+

I don't know what FEL options that model offers.

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #3  
Also depends on what "move" means.. From here to there or off a trailer or stack?

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #4  
I wouldn't even think about moving round bales on a FEL-mounted spear on a B series. You're looking at L, Grand L, or MX territory.

They can weigh over 1000lbs, and you have to count the weight of the spear too.

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #5  
Looking to upgrade the 2003 BX2200 with something that can handle mowing (MMM) and moving round bales with the loader. Can the newer B2650 handle a bale on a bucket spear? Or am I looking for the impossible and should expect to use a 3-point spear instead for a dual use tractor?
What size round bale?

I doubt that it would handle a 4x5 bale on a bucket spear. A new tractor should have a Quick Attach, remove the bucket, put on a bale spike and it might have a chance.

Had a Blue Stem hay field where we used to live, Took 8, 5x6 bales on this trailer across the scales at the Co-op, they averaged 1450 each.

P7310009m.jpg

This prairie grass bale, weighed 1391 pounds.
PA090011.JPG

PA090019.JPG

PA090024.JPG

Last edited:
   / Kubota size able to handle round bales #6  
On the size round bales we have, no. We had an L3400 that would not lift them and had to upgrade.

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #8  
Yes, round bales can be up to around 1500 lbs. Thus, you need to be prepared for that weight. They weigh most when the hay is just baled and still a little damp, or when the bale has soaked up a bunch of rain. I move such bales with my Grand L 5030 and would NOT be comfortable with any less capable tractor. Using a FEL spike, REQUIRES loaded tires and extra load on rear 3ph. Thus, I have a 3ph hay fork on rear and load that first, then pick up a bale with the spear. You can also get a hay buggy for picking up and moving one bale at a time using the draw bar...but this does not lift the bale from a trailer or into a round bale feeder. I would say that a BUCKET SPEAR is out of the question...just too much weight out front.

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #9  
Using a FEL spike, REQUIRES loaded tires and extra load on rear 3ph.
Not necessarily. My rears have nothing in them and I move bales just fine with only a counterweight.

/ Kubota size able to handle round bales #10  
I think the OP needs to provide a lil more info before we get to sidetracked. :thumbsup: