Buying Advice New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ?

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

For several years I looked and followed TBN relating to Kubota BX product . . but didn't yet have the money for one. Now some 3 years after all that . . I now have the money.

But it seems there are many new competitors/products/improvements develop in these last 2 years. I've seen Cabela's 25 and the smaller Mahindras 22 and 25. They look clunky/less compact than kubotas. The John Deere 23 and 26 have the easy attach systems . . but John Deere is just not my style I guess :)

Here are my desires . . 48 inch mower deck preferred (very big yard but certainly not flat at all and lots of gardens). I absolutely need a fel . . I'd like a backhoe but I can do without the backhoe unless the price is adjustable. Front mount snow blower and brush options (lots of concrete). I know an 1870 fits the description but a 2370 or 25 uses all the same attachments . . So future attachments may be easier to find. I'm told a 48 inch deck (1870 size) can be used on the larger bx sizes even though not listed. Used prices in wisconsin are too close to new . . So whatever I get will likely be new.

My issue is . . . In the last 2 years or less . . Who else has come out with a competitive 4wd subcompact that handles hills well with superior or equal features and pricing to the BX line. I'll consider opinions on other brands . . Even john deere . . But I'd like to cut down how many dealers I actually go look at. (As an example I would have loved for cabelas product to be a serious consideration . . But it doesn't even offer a front mount snowblower etc. . . And its a subcompact with too clunky sizing). I appreciate any opinions or strength/weakness considerations of bx to competitors :) I'm open minded . . But after 8 years of waiting . . Its time to acquire this spring. :)

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #2  
LS J2023. LS makes New Holland Boomers but also sells under their own name. More options- better prices.

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #3  
A major consideration (which is always mentioned) is dealer support. I think all the major players build good tractors. All dealers are not equal. FYI- I bought a BX2370 last year, 2nd choice was a JD. Good luck!

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #4  
LS J2023. LS makes New Holland Boomers but also sells under their own name. More options- better prices.

The J2023 is the equivalent of a small Kubota B series, not the BX. I looked at one recently, and it was a really nice tractor at an excellent price that is cheaper than many BX tractors, but it is a little larger than a BX.

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #5  
The main problem with a 48" deck is that the trim side will be almost flush with the tractor's wheels, which makes trimming close to edges and trees much harder. My 60" mmm deck on my new-to-me BX2660 sticks out about 12" from the sidewall of the rear tire on the trim side.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want a 60" deck? Tight spacing (less than 60") between trees or other obstacles?

One advantage the Kubota BX series has is that the aftermarket for it is big. Places like BXpanded sell all sorts of goodies for it.

Last edited:
   / New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ?
The main problem with a 48" deck is that the trim side will be almost flush with the tractor's wheels, which makes trimming close to edges and trees much harder. My 60" mmm deck on my new-to-me BX2660 sticks out about 12" from the sidewall of the rear tire on the trim side.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want a 60" deck? Tight spacing (less than 60") between trees or other obstacles?

For my about acre and a half of lawn . . The kentucky bluegrass is excellent . . But it is considerably steep hilly and a 60 inch deck would likely scalp often (neighbors problem with his 60 deck). Also most of our landscaping I created a "Drive over edging" which was an effort to do but makes trimming substantially easier. Also some tight spacing areas that come at bottoms of inclines.

But like I said . . I'll consider any expressed posts . . Because during a 4 year prior period up to 2012 I learned much from TBN writers which got me saving for a BX or new product competitor choices :)

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #7  

There is so much more to look at then price.

PP talked on some, aftermarket support, as well as dealer support. There is also no doubt that any of the Major players make good machines. Here there are a few dealers that sell LS, but they also sell another major brand, and that is really the brand that they push. They really don't support the "second" machines well. There is one such Kubota dealer here in town.....they stock few parts, fewer machines and really try to talk you out of one and into another.

I have nothing but good things to say about my machine.....but what I would suggest is no matter what you buy, get it from a dealer that really supports the brand you buy.

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #8  
Doesn't LS make the Case IH compacts too?

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #9  
Yanmar has some new sub-compacts and compacts I believe. Only one really the size of a BX. Don't really know anything about them, but Yanmar has been making the small JD's for years. In fact the 221 looks a bit like the new 1 Series JD's to me.

Products - Yanmar Tractor

/ New BX vs What is the New Competition worth a look ? #10  
AxleHub,
The only tractors I have seen in this area that compare in size to the BX is the JD1023 or 1025. Everything elsewas more the size of the Kubota "B" series. I had the 54" deck on my BX1850 and it worked very well for mowing.