Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #1  

dfran1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1, 54" MMM fine cut, FEL, 60" Blade w/hydraulics, curtis cab, lights , heater, wipers, radio. fan
Hi,
I currently have a craftsman 1986 20 HP OAN engine, with dozer blade, dual 50 LB wheel weights, tire chains, and ~75 LB weight on back, besides my 200 LB arse.

It has served me well thru the years but for the past 12 years in my new house it just can not keep up with snow, I am tired of fixing broken parts due to me pushing more snow than it can handle.

It also does not cut like new mowers, my wife saw me this last storm fighting with the snow and she actually suggested I get a Kubota.

So I spent time reading but some questions (or thoughts, feelings, or??) I have, please bear with me......

I was going to go with a front snow blower attachment but my brother and the dealer said it just overkill for my area and a plow blade will do fine. So this is what I want to order tomorrow at my dealer.....

BX2370-1
Turf Tires
54-inch Fine Cut Finishing Mower Deck
FEL (front end loader)
BALLAST BOX
Kubota-designed Loader Quick Hitch (to make things very simple, I hope)
60" STRAIGHT BLADE
Hard heated cab (cause I hate the cold, and my back does to)
rear-- bar or industrial tires and rims for snow (I forgot what the dealer said was better)
My dealer is going to add left and right hydraulics on the blade for me (he thinks, I will know if he can tommorow)

Now the questions for you all......
1. These do come with force down on the bucket I think you all call it 4 valve not 3 (sorry for any of my newbie ness)
2. Will my dealer add another stick or ?? for the left / right or just take the tilt up and down (sorry for any of my newbie ness)
3. Will the cab be enough weight or do I still need that BALLAST BOX for weight and what do I fill it with and how much??
4. Is maintanence hard on this ?? (I did it for all my equipment but I never owned a diesel or hydraulic anything??
5. Do I need a blue gas can for diesel ? and any diesel at any station or is some brand better for this??
6. I want this in my attached garage, will it stink me out??
7. Do I need wheel spacers (I read this from time to time in here)?
8. Is the extended warranty worth getting (its only 2 more years so I think not)
9. Anything else I forgot to ask, please, please advise??

Sorry for any newbie question, this is a major purchase especially for the price, I just need reassurance on my decision.
Thank You all!!

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #2  
Hi,
I currently have a craftsman 1986 20 HP OAN engine, with dozer blade, dual 50 LB wheel weights, tire chains, and ~75 LB weight on back, besides my 200 LB arse.

It has served me well thru the years but for the past 12 years in my new house it just can not keep up with snow, I am tired of fixing broken parts due to me pushing more snow than it can handle.

It also does not cut like new mowers, my wife saw me this last storm fighting with the snow and she actually suggested I get a Kubota.

So I spent time reading but some questions (or thoughts, feelings, or??) I have, please bear with me......

I was going to go with a front snow blower attachment but my brother and the dealer said it just overkill for my area and a plow blade will do fine. So this is what I want to order tomorrow at my dealer.....

BX2370-1
Turf Tires
54-inch Fine Cut Finishing Mower Deck
FEL (front end loader)
BALLAST BOX
Kubota-designed Loader Quick Hitch (to make things very simple, I hope)
60" STRAIGHT BLADE
Hard heated cab (cause I hate the cold, and my back does to)
rear-- bar or industrial tires and rims for snow (I forgot what the dealer said was better)
My dealer is going to add left and right hydraulics on the blade for me (he thinks, I will know if he can tommorow)

Now the questions for you all......
1. These do come with force down on the bucket I think you all call it 4 valve not 3 (sorry for any of my newbie ness)
Yes, you can apply down force enough to do some light digging, but it isn't a backhoe, of course. It will be enough down force to lift the tractor.

2. Will my dealer add another stick or ?? for the left / right or just take the tilt up and down (sorry for any of my newbie ness)

You use the one "stick" for both the front blade and the FEL and the same valve kit.
3. Will the cab be enough weight or do I still need that BALLAST BOX for weight and what do I fill it with and how much??
I'd rather own an implement to put on the back for counter weight myself.

4. Is maintanence hard on this ?? (I did it for all my equipment but I never owned a diesel or hydraulic anything??
Straight forward and there are GREAT threads with photos and everything, to walk you right through the 50 hour.
5. Do I need a blue gas can for diesel ? and any diesel at any station or is some brand better for this??
Yes, and yes to any good filling station. These BX's sip fuel so you won't go that much.
6. I want this in my attached garage, will it stink me out??
Not a problem
7. Do I need wheel spacers (I read this from time to time in here)?
I don't have them and haven't felt the need. You may have much more hilly property than I.

8. Is the extended warranty worth getting (its only 2 more years so I think not)
I don't buy such things. Do what you feel comfortable with.
9. Anything else I forgot to ask, please, please advise??
You're gonna love this thing.

Sorry for any newbie question, this is a major purchase especially for the price, I just need reassurance on my decision.
Thank You all!!

And welcome to TBN

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE.
   / Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #4  
BP Fick gave a lot of good advice, but I don't agree with your brother or the dealer regarding the snowblower. You guys get enough snow there to justify it IMO.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #5  
Thank You, This forum has the kindest people on earth from what I have been reading so far!!

Get the snowblower. I bought my BX2370 a year ago. I have turf tires and the rears are loaded. Traction with 4WD in the snow is great. You will like the results you will get with the snowblower.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #6  
A blade has a tendency to push smaller tractors sideways and I wouldnt get one.
I lived in MA for 65 years and when I got my tractor my plan was to get the snow blower.
Yanmar was having troubles with their snow blowers at the time and by the time they got it straighten out I had used my FEL and found it to be the way to move the snow in the northeast.
If I had stayed in the area I probably would have purchased a snow blower but never a blade.

Oh Ya Deisel cans are yellow or even green, water is blue... don't get them mixed up and add a sticker or opening label for diesel only.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #7  
Blue is Kerosene here. Same as Diesel #1. Yellow is good for diesel. I've got both. No issues.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #8  
The difference between your Craftsman and the BX is substantial, you will love it! I'm not sure how someone could say a snowblower in Mass is overkill with the winter we're having. The cab will be nice for sure but measure your garage clearance first to make sure it fits height wise. Also, my experience is that the turf tires are just fine in snow so I wouldn't bother with the bar tires you mentioned. For the same money as the ballast box you can get a rear blade that will add functionality instead of just hanging there. I bought the ballast box a dozen years ago with my first BX and I don't think it's been on the tractor more than once. Consider a block heater for those zero and below days. Not mandatory but handy. I also filter all my fuel through a Mr. Funnel. You can get them at Tractor Supply for under $20. My last piece of advice is to look at the Kubota insurance which pays for loss due to accident, loss, or theft. It may be required if you finance the tractor (0% interest may make sense even if you have the cash).

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #9  
An aftermarket cab sometimes makes routine maintenance more difficult depending on how well it is engineered. I had a Curtis Cab on a machine a few years back and was not happy. An OEM cab seems to be better designed and integrated.

Yellow can is the legal transport method for diesel fuel. Blue is kerosene, light blue or black is water, and red is gasoline of course.

The dealer is looking into how many hydraulic remote valves he can install to give you the extra functions on the front blade.

Wheel spacers aren't required on mostly level ground but greatly enhance stability on slopes especially when using the front loader.

It will not stink you out of the garage if you don't idle/warmup there. Fire it up and drive it outdoors for the warmup cycle. Even better is to gently use it to bring it up to temperature if its very cold.

My dealer actually recommends against the extended warranty if you're financing with Kubota and buying KTAC insurance as part of the loan. It will cover just about catastrophic failures and accidents. Genuine warranty claims on faulty parts or workmanship are very low. I would wager Kubota has some of the lowest numbers of warranty claims in the industry. The KTAC insurance has a much lower standard of proof for service as well. To make a claim on an extended warranty, you may be asked to provide receipts for genuine Kubota routine maintenance items such as fluids and filters. KTAC is more interested in protecting their investment and resale value in case of an unfortunate repossession, etc.

On the ballast box question, more weight is ALWAYS a benefit when pushing snow or dirt. You can always add it later if you find yourself slipping the tires more than you would like.

If it is a MFWD or 4x4 tractor you're looking at, all 4 tires will be of the same tread type. Both turf and r4 industrials are good for pushing snow, while the turfs might actually provide a bit more traction in snow. R4 industrial will be more versatile on varied terrains and dirt. R1 agricultural tires are max traction on soil, but wear quickly on pavement.

/ Buying a BX2370-1, I have Questions PLEASE. #10  
:welcome: :thumbsup: You'll wonder why you didn't buy this tractor years ago.
You've rec'd a lot of good advise and I'll add the weight box has never made sense to me. I'd use the money to buy a boxblade which will have many uses and provide the needed weight on the rear for fel work..
Search here on TBN Owning and Operating for the Do your own 50 hour service on a BX thread or maybe someone will bump it for you and maybe others that haven't seen it.