Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe?

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #1  

keeney

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
I am shopping for a small backhoe attachment for my JD 4100. I am not really impressed with the JD hoe that is available.

The JD subframe requires the MMM and 3-point to be completely removed before being installed. Not that I want to mow with the hoe on, but I would like to minimize the effort to switch to/from mowing vs. digging because the machine is used for mowing at least once every week in the summer.

The JD price from the dealer kind of sucked as well- it was more than I paid for the tractor to start with!

So, my choices are:

1. Go with a non-tractor-mfg generic.

2. Build one myself (from plans or a kit).

3. Buy the JD hoe and redesign the sub-frame mount to have a quick-attach that is compatible with leaving the MMM on.

4. Buy a hoe already setup for quick-attach hoe and adapt my 4100 to it.

Option 1 didn't seem to offer a lot in the way of price break over option 3.

Option 2 sounds like a lot of work.

Option 3 is the most expensive and stillr equries work on my part.

Since options 1, 2, and 3 would all require various amounts of adaptation/redesign/rework/fabrication/welding, I might as well also consider option 4.

The backhoe on the BX23 looks like it would be the size and performance I would want as well as already being setup for quick-attach.

So, the question would be to any Kubota dealers out there or anybody with a BX-23 or BX-22 who might want to sell just the BT-600 backhoe attachment?

- Rick

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #2  
First buying the BT-600 by itself I'm sure would be very expensive. Second you would need to fabricate a subframe to fit it to your tractor. These 2 reasons alone would indicate not the way to go. Your alternative is to look into 3rd parties like Woods, Bradco, Wallenstein, etc. KwikWay makes one for your tractor too. The problem with your tractor is that it wasn't designed to have a MMM with the backhoe. I believe all of these manufacture's subframes will not allow the use of a MMM. Your only other option would be a 3-point mounted hoe. A subframe mounted hoe is always best but the 3-point mount is ok for non comercial digging. I guess you'll need to evaluate what kind of digging you'll be doing and/vs. when you'll be mowing. Lastly, maybe a different tractor is your solution. Good luck with your decsion.

Opps one more thing. The Massey GC2310 can have the MMM on and the 3-point arms do not have to be removed like the BX. This one is by far the easiest to install/remove.

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #3  
The backhoe on the BX22/BX23 is a four-point mount that requires a subframe as the other post indicated. The subframe is kinda built into the design of the BX and I doubt you could adapt it to the JD even if you could buy it separately. (And don't count on anyone selling you one from their machine...in most cases, it was the reason they bough the BX22/BX23 to begin with!) In fact, to mount it, the BX's three-point also needs to be removed and although you "can" leave the MMM on, lowering the deck does cause the upper arms that remain on the machine to come in contact with the 'hoe. So in most cases, we all remove the MMM when mounting the 'hoe on the machine. (Easy to do on the BX, especially with the FEL mounted)

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe?
I was planning on designing and building a new sub-frame from scratch.

I didn't want to actually mow with the backhoe on, just not have the extra work of wrestling with the mower every time I want to use the backhoe. Its not hard to remove (pull two spring-loaded pins and the un-hook drive shaft), but its heavy and big and the wheels on it only roll one way, you need space to the side to slide it out, and it takes up a lot of space in the garage, etc.

It just seems to me that a backhoe and mount could be designed that avoided interfering with the mower and 3-point so that a minimal amount of disassembly was required during switch-over.

The Kubota setup is the closest thing I have seen so far, but now you tell me that the lower arms have to come off? Well on my JD, the MMM lift is hooked to the lower arms, so anything that requires the lower arms off requires the MMM be removed as well.

Hmmmm. I guess its time to start looking at kit plans.

- Rick

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #5  
Most likely any subframe type of mount will require the lower 3-point arms to be removed or at least folded up like the GC2310. Although it is possible to design a mount that would allow the arms to stay on but that may cause the hoe to hang low or far out. I really think you be better off just getting a 3-point mounted hoe or a different tractor. You still haven't indicated the type of digging you'll be doing and the pretty much dictates what route you should take. I have a BX2200 and built a 3-point mounted hoe and it works fine for the amount/type of digging I do. I do plan on copying the subframe design the GC2310 uses because then I can leave the lower 3-point arms on.

Attachments

• 375640-GC2310_BH5.JPG
    375640-GC2310_BH5.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 628
   / Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #6  
Another pic.

Attachments

• 375641-GC2310_BH2.JPG
    375641-GC2310_BH2.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 734
   / Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #7  
They would have to remove a lot of the tractor to get you the backhoe. Then they would have a tractor that has less then normal features.

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #8  
Keeney you may want to study the sub frame used on new Holland backhoe. When I mount my backhoe I don't need to touch the lower arms at all. Now I can't speak for a MMM since I use a 3-point finish mower. Possibly you could apply the way the mount is used to your application. Hope this helps a bit.

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe? #9  
The NH type subframe is similar to the JD subframe except you don't have to remove the lower arms, but you can't use the MMM.

/ Any way to buy just BT600 Backhoe?
I like how the BX-23 hoe connects. Nice and close to the tractor.

The digging I would be doing would be shallow and moderate. Drainage, irrigation, landscaping, retaining walls, build a driveway, and maybe footings for a garage. So a smaller hoe on my smaller tractor would be the right size.

Based on the pricing of the JD unit and the un-availability of the BT600 all by itself, it looks like I am down to two choices:

1. Get a smaller 3-point unit and adapt it to a custom-built permanently-mounted sub-frame.

2. Build the entire hoe from scratch from plans and a kit.

- Rick