Price Check I'm looking for a better price.

/ I'm looking for a better price. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings Kubota fans.

I'm a little frustrated that I don't seem to find a better price on a Kubota . . . or maybe I should be content ???

8 years I've planned to own my 1st Kubota this spring . . . and the odds of it happening are dropping. Why? A local Kubota dealer took almost 4 weeks to get me a bid (high priced). A second local kubota dealer after a week . . I've yet to hear back. And a 3rd local Kubota dealer came in with these prices:
$ 15,300 + tax for a new bx2370-1 with only the fel and mmm. No other options.
$ 16,900 + tax for a 2670-1 under same conditions.
Above prices includes the March incentive discounts.

Competitor dealers with Yanmar and Massey are all lower priced than the 2370 bid by thousands. (I didn't mention 4 other brands that I looked at because I didn't like them).

Any ideas. So far 8 years of Kubota thinking and desire may not end up with a kubota. Decision time is later this coming week.

/ I'm looking for a better price. #2  
Why have you not contacted Barlows for a price?

/ I'm looking for a better price. #3  
AxleHub,

I asked this in another post, but perhaps you missed it:

Does Kubota's competition offer a quick attach system for the FEL (and other FEL-based implements), as the 70-1 offers?
Here is a link: http://kx-px.rtrk.com/product/bx70/pdf/BX70_implements_FrontLoader.pdf

Is FEL/Bucket "quick attach" a feature that is important to you?

Because if it is, since the BX's system is far cheaper than a full-on SSQA, that could (possibly) account for some of the price differences you're encountering...but not "thousands" of dollars in price difference.

Have you thought of trying to compare the resale value of late model Kubota's, vs the competition? That might shed some light on what is the right path forward, for you, if you find that one brand holds their value better than another.

On the other hand, money isn't everything, and Y.O.L.O. In my (less-Kubota familiar) days, I missed a couple of great buys, because I thought I could do better (as in, approx. $1-2,000. better, tops).

Well, I was wrong, and to replace one of the tractors I missed, would now cost me $30,000., and I could have had it for $19,000.

I learned the hard way. Just my .02.

I guess what I'm saying is--IF it's financially feasible, you might be better served shopping for the brand/features you really want, and putting a lesser priority on the dollars paid. (That would certainly be cheaper than buying two tractors, which is how first-time boat owners become *cough* "experienced" boat owners--they get "two-foot-itis," and trade up, almost invariably at a loss).

Good luck with the hunt.

My Hoe

/ I'm looking for a better price. #4  
Put in your location, you'll get better advice. Some areas of the country are notoriously high.

And reflect on why you've been wanting a Kubota for 8 years and not a Yanmar. Figure out what jobs you need to do and how important warranty and quality are.

/ I'm looking for a better price. #5  
Yes, it would be helpful to know your location. Also, what tires and sized mmm you have spec'd out.

/ I'm looking for a better price.
Greetings again,

Re: Contacting Barlows . . . If we had a Barlows anywhere around this area I think that would be a great idea . . but we have none nor a Messicks. I'd like to invest in a dealer driven product . . so I've considered a 100 mile radius. I'm wondering if the price quote I did get is high or just how Kubota prices go?

Re: Quick attach or other features. At one time kubota had an absolute lead over the competition for sub compacts. But times adjust and so does competition. Quick attach features are now offered by 3rd party providers for each of the products I've found interest in. It doesn't mean the kubota loader quick attach isn't important and just as beneficial . . its just not as unique in the industry as it once was.

Re: Size of mmm for bid . . . 54 or 60 inch

Re: Paying for value . . . that price isn't everything. I totally agree . . which is why I've spent alot of time and effort exploring the existing Kubota improvements as well as the competition.
a. In 2007 my favorite choices were Kubota and cub cadet/yanmar. But cub cadet didn't have the options or flexibility even though they had a very competitive product. Advantage Kubota.

b. But today Yanmar's flexibility is improved while their actual product is just as competitve.

c. And then there's new competition. Its a bunch but that doesn't mean quantity = quality. Massey . . one of the new choices I've looked at . . seems to compete well in several ways.

My point is . . . at least so far (so far) . . if all bids and conditions were the same, Kubota is still the top choice. But so far 2 things have not been the same . . . price and sales responsiveness . . . and as you know . . price is upfront but customer responsiveness is ongoing.

I'm happy to entertain and consider any and all of your ideas and input.

P.S. location is Western Wisconsin. :)

/ I'm looking for a better price. #7  
Have to look again at my quote sheet, but it sounds $600-$800 higher than my quote for the BX 2370. That said, my dealer is very reasonable as the Kubota and LP factories are just a little south west of where I live. I'm sure our freight costs are pretty low compared to the rest of the nation.

/ I'm looking for a better price. #8  
My point is . . . at least so far (so far) . . if all bids and conditions were the same, Kubota is still the top choice. But so far 2 things have not been the same . . . price and sales responsiveness . . . and as you know . . price is upfront but customer responsiveness is ongoing.

I'm happy to entertain and consider any and all of your ideas and input.

Barlows delivers to Wisconsin. Marvin (Retired Army that delivers for Barlows) told me yesterday that he just returned from Ct and week before that he was delivering in Vt. He delivers where ever needed and said he enjoys it. :D
If Barlows doesn't beat your price there then all your out is a few minutes or more on the phone. :) What's $1500 to $2000 dollars mean to you?

/ I'm looking for a better price. #9  
I'm wondering if the price quote I did get is high or just how Kubota prices go.

Kubota and Deere are always the high priced brands. However, being on my third tractor, it is important to note Kubota and Deere retain their value better when you sell, so you recover some of that premium in resale.

If you run through BUILD MY KUBOTA on Kubota's web site and get a price from the dealer 5% to 8% off that price, you are being treated fairly. Expect to pay for delivery. Cash at discount price ~ NOT zero financing.

(Don't be sloppy. It is evident here that some want a discount, 'free' chain hooks or other small additions, then want free delivery, in addition to the 5% - 8% discount.)

Why not input WISCONSIN into your T-B-N profile?

/ I'm looking for a better price.
Kubota and Deere are always the high priced brands. However, being on my third tractor, it is important to note Kubota and Deere retain their value better when you sell, so you recover some of that premium in resale.

If you run through BUILD MY KUBOTA on Kubota's web site and get a price from the dealer 5% to 8% off that price, you are being treated fairly. Expect to pay for delivery. Cash at discount price ~ NOT zero financing.

(Don't be sloppy. It is evident here that some want a discount, 'free' chain hooks or other small additions, then want free delivery, in addition to the 5% - 8% discount.)

Why not input WISCONSIN into your T-B-N profile?

Greetings jeff9366,

You said Kubota and Deere are always the high priced brands. But lets put some logic in that definition too. Deere is the largest farm tractor and implement company in the world because they started early . . . are in the country that spends the most money in that field . . and have a broad reputation over many many decades of a headstart on others. But what was, doesn't mean what is or what will be. Yanmar and to a lesser extent Kawasaki, made the Deere small segment products the reliable choice . . and Yanmar has moved on and up. Kubota developed the scut segment and like Yanmar has a long history of product development just as Iseki does with Massey. But this scut segment has matured from innovative market with very few true players to now a commodity market with many players. Kubota BX is a great product group . . but Kubota dealerships & sales people no longer have a lock on sales like they did . . I've seen resale values on some competitors are quite high also.

As far as putting WI in my profile . . I'm not sure what positive that represents. In posts that are geography oriented I usually put it right in the posts when beneficial. But if there is a logical reason . . I'd certainly consider it :)

As far as not being sloppy . . . well my socks usually end up in the corner . . but very few people would claim I'm ever sloppy about details, justifications, data or awareness. While I've never actually owned a true tractor - so I'm a novice . . my career path has always been about evaluation and details of people and products.

As an example Build My Kubota is something I do 2 or 3 times a year each year the last 6 years to spot how its process works. I find some assumptions built into it that are less than perfect.

But price is far from the only issue. I find that sales people in a business are a mirror of what the business is like. At least so far in March . . of 4 Kubota dealerships . . I've found 2 good salespeople and both of those were by phone/email.