Tractor Sizing MX5200HST or MX5800HST

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #1  

kingreboog

Tractor
Kubota MX5800
I recently test drove a new MX5200HST (PTO power = 44.2 HP). Liked it! It fits my needs quite nicely. However, the MX5800 has a higher PTO HP rating (50.2 HP) and I feel that this extra power would allow me more leeway in my future purchase of a rotary cutter. Our cedar (ashe juniper) regrowth and persimmon bushes approach 3" diameter. Any comments on the MX5200HST vs. the MX5800HST would be appreciated.

The tractor purchase is intended for utility and maintenance of 39 acres of ranch land.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #2  
Any cutter the 5800 can handle, the 5200 will handle too. Only difference is that in some situations, you'll be able to go a little faster with the 5800.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #3  
I would say both tractors would handle a 6' cutter, but I don't think the 5800 would handle a 7' unit.

Will

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST
Thanks for the feedback. I'll post pictures soon.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #5  
Thanks for the feedback. I'll post pictures soon.

As noted the MX 5200 and 5800 are the same tractor with differing horsepower. As for sizing a rotary cutter, there are power, weight and cost considerations. Either tractor "should" be able to drive an 84" cutter, but it greatly depends on what you're mowing and more horses cut better than fewer ones. 84" cutters are typically offered as "heavy duty" and weigh quite a bit more than a lighter deck. An 84" cutter would be a handful for either tractor to handle, particularly on any hills or uneven ground. The prices go up quite a bit once you get larger than the popular 72" size. If you're regularly going to be taking out 3" material, I'd look for a heavy duty 72" cutter and would seriously consider the higher hp tractor if the budget allows.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #6  
I agree with Grandad4. There's a Bush Hog SQ720 Squealer (72") 3 point and Bush Hog 307 (84") pull type here on the farm. I've seen what cutting 2-3" material will do to the SQ720 when hooked up to the Kubota L3940, lots of lugging it down and flex in the top of the deck. The 307 is normally behind the JD 5065M and used for clipping pastures and roads between fields. The SQ720 can be lifted with the 3 pt. and lowered down onto heavy brush but it still works it pretty good. Surprisingly as far as pulling down a tractor engine very heavy tall grass does that more than small weeds and small stemmy brush.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #7  
Pretty much in line with Grandad4 and Grateful11, I run the same Land Pride RCR2672 behind my L5740HSTC that I used with my L5030HSTC and both work well; might be more noticeable with an 84".

A steady diet of 3" will test your nerves though, I'm sure glad we have most of ours done, what a racket.

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST
Once again, a bucket load of valuable information from TBN members. The rotary cutter on my radar is the Land Pride RCR2672. Like the one TripleR mentions in the previous post. I wouldn't consider an 84" unit as some of the trails cut through our wooded areas are a bit tight. The RCR2672 appears to be well built and more than suitable for my needs. I noticed in the Land Pride catalog, there's a smooth top counterpart to this model cutter. It's the RCF2772. Looks easier to wash and clean up. Am I missing any negatives about this smooth top?

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #9  
The only negative I can think of is if the bracing is on the underside of the deck, more clippings "may" accumulate and the bracing may cause turbulence, but I'm just guessing at this point as I don't know if the bracing is sandwiched or exposed. I'd just go look at both. I'm sure I would be comfortable with either.

I do know mine sure picks up a lot of debris on the top between the braces, so...

/ MX5200HST or MX5800HST #10  
I have a MX5100 gear drive, and pull a 72" bush hog with no problems. Mowing 2 to 3" pine trees I do slow it down a bit to let the mower do its job.