Would You Accept This As New

/ Would You Accept This As New #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
After negotiating with my local dealer about a new L45 I decided to get one.The only way to get what I wanted was to ship it in from another dealer in Quebec.I agreed to pay for the shipping.When the tractor arrived it was completely covered in road grime and salt.When my girlfriend looked at it she wouldn't believe it was a new machine.It was so dirty I could not see through the dash cover at all.Apparently it was shipped on an open flatbed truck over winter highways.When I told the dealer of my concerns about the salt exposure he blew it off as being nothing.He pretty much said it is normal procedure and a good power washing would take care of it.I went to look at the tractor today,after hours,and after they cleaned it.I can already see corrosion starting to form on many parts of the tractor.Right now it is only light but it will get worse over time.To my way of thinking this is not what a new machine should be.I also have concerns about future electrical problems from the salt exposure.I have told the dealer I am not happy and don't want the machine,I expect better when buying new.They already have a sizable down payment as I traded in my B2620 so I am tied to this dealer until something is worked out.He says he only brought the machine in because I asked him to and it is a difficult model to sell in this area.They never stock L45's,or M59's,and only bring them in when requested.Right now it is at a standstill.Am I making too much out of the salt exposure or is it a potentially serious problem?

/ Would You Accept This As New #2  
I think you have a valid concern but are also stuck. It would have been better if they hadn't pressure washed it and drove the salt deep into all the crevices. You would have got it dirty sometime anyway so it is not the end of the world. I would be more concerned about the paint that can't take even one salting and pressure washing without failing. The dealer is also stuck and can't let it go. About all you might hope for is to have any spots that show corrosion or paint pealing cleaned or sand blasted down and repainted with three or more coats of paint on them.

/ Would You Accept This As New #3  
My two cents is this. You are not responsible for the units condition or method it was shipped . . . your dealer is . . as is the shipping company/trucker.

You should have expected the answer you have gotten so far. Its normal for a person having liability (in this case the dealer) . . . to minimize and trivialize. And whether it is your dealer/the trucking company/ or their insurance carriers . . . You had an expectation of "new condition" . . . Not like new . . . Not near new . . . Not almost new.

It doesn't matter if its surface corrosion or more . . . its not what you bargained for. And why it would have been shipped without tarping it etc. Should be your dealer's issue to resolve . . .not yours.

By the way . . . was it shipped directly to you? Why would they do that? Doesn't your dealer need to check and test everything etc etc. ? Why am I asking? Simple . . the transaction was between the Canada dealer and your dealer. You should never even seen the unit until your dealer had "taken delivery" of it first.

/ Would You Accept This As New #4  
My two cents is this. You are not responsible for the units condition or method it was shipped . . . your dealer is . . as is the shipping company/trucker.

You should have expected the answer you have gotten so far. Its normal for a person having liability (in this case the dealer) . . . to minimize and trivialize. And whether it is your dealer/the trucking company/ or their insurance carriers . . . You had an expectation of "new condition" . . . Not like new . . . Not near new . . . Not almost new.

It doesn't matter if its surface corrosion or more . . . its not what you bargained for. And why it would have been shipped without tarping it etc. Should be your dealer's issue to resolve . . .not yours.

By the way . . . was it shipped directly to you? Why would they do that? Doesn't your dealer need to check and test everything etc etc. ? Why am I asking? Simple . . the transaction was between the Canada dealer and your dealer. You should never even seen the unit until your dealer had "taken delivery" of it first.

All valid points only I think that the OP agreeing to pay for the shipping And already having turned in his tradein gets him past the point where he can back out. I could be wrong of course and it might vary based on the state the trade is transacted in.

/ Would You Accept This As New #5  
All valid points only I think that the OP agreeing to pay for the shipping And already having turned in his tradein gets him past the point where he can back out. I could be wrong of course and it might vary based on the state the trade is transacted in.

My perception is that he paid the dealer to have the unit shipped . . . liability falls on the dealer. The trade in was a downpayment on a transaction not yet completed. If the unit wss shipped to the dealer . . . and the dealer checked everything over and finished setup and cleanup on the unit and then delivered it and customer had accepted the unit as "satisfactory" . . then we'd have had an exchange in liability. But that never happened inthis case as it was described to us. I heard no "acceptance" in any form. Just my 2 cents worth (and 30 years owning a service and product business).

/ Would You Accept This As New #6  
My question is why were you responsible for shipping? Do they not do dealer trades in Canada?

Also, there were small paint imperfections in cracks and crevices on both of my Kubota units. I'm not saying you are being too picky but can you share a few pictures of the areas that you're concerned about?

/ Would You Accept This As New #7  
I can already see corrosion starting to form on many parts of the tractor.Right now it is only light but it will get worse over time.

When you say corrosion what exactly are you talking about rust or paint fading? How long was the tractor sitting outside at the other lot. Did the corrosion just come from the transport.

I think the dealer should make the tractor look like new or give you a discount so you can.

/ Would You Accept This As New #8  
Im curious as to which dealer it was. I have my suspicions. If it was the same dealer where I got mine, sounds like they havent changed. Their PDI was miserable and yes, Ive had paint issues since day one, but thats on Kubota's crappy paint although the dealer should have touched it up.

That said, I understand its a tractor. A solid washing will take care of the salt and I wouldnt sweat that too much, maybe get a few spray bombs of rust check and give it a coating underneath, wouldnt hurt anyways. Any tractor shipped this time of year as a complete unit will be seeing some salt.

/ Would You Accept This As New #9  
I called a couple of my trucking friends to ask them about a failure to cover product. Both said that they have "Transport tarping always with them." They get "handling instructions" with each load also. Normally they always want to tarp their flatbeds because it helps wind issues and their insurance claim issues too.

What I don't understand . . . Why wasn't the unit either plastic wrapped or blue shrink wrapped so that nothings moves or flies off the equipment during transport? (all these points are regardless whether summer or winter).

/ Would You Accept This As New #10  
Generally speaking equipment isnt tarped. Tarping takes time, time is money for all involved (most trucking companies charge extra for basic tarping). That blue shrink wrap is great, but who is going to pick up the couple hundred dollar tab to do it (time and materials)? let alone no equipment dealer is set up with the expensive gear to do it in my experience. Boat dealers yes, tractor dealers, not so much. That also ignores the fact that some times equipment is moved from trailer to trailer depending on how it is shipped and if any thing else is going that way, in that case, shrink wrap would be in the way.

Anything can be done if the money is there to do it. It always comes down to money. Would anyone pay an extra $100 to 300 on top of basic shipping for tarping costs? Not the way people shop around these days.