What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . .

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #1  

wmitch1000

Tractor
Kubota B2920, Filled Turf Tires, HD Alternator, Block Heater
I really need some insight.... I currently have a 2920, FEL, 60" MMM with a little over 200 hours. I use her to primarily mow about 2-3 acres, plow snow from a 1300' gravel driveway about 4-6 times per year, and move some gravel, mulch etc around.

Well, it's paid off and I now want a cab.... I looked a Curtis Cab, but I'm really not looking for a soft-side, and I would need to add heat. So I'm looking at a factory cab and this is where the 2650 has come into my sights. I know I'm loosing a few HP, but I don't think that will make a big difference.

So... I must admit I do like the bells and whistles of the factory cab. But am I letting my wants cloud up the decision making process. Should I be happy with my 2920, since it is serving me well or let my want for a cab replace it. If so, is the 2650 the answer, could it be more tractor than I need, or would you suggest something else.

Really appreciate your thoughts before I pull the trigger on a new tractor...

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #2  
Save your money on the after-market cabs.They can't compare to the factory cabs.Sounds like what you do three less HP is going to make much difference.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #3  
Hmm, well, the way I often look at things is will having a cab really improve your situation and make work easier and more productive? If so, then it's something I could justify budget for myself. I am generally frugal with money, but some tools/tractors/equipment often falls into the "no brainer" category and is easy to spend money on without a second thought.

I guess the only thing to remember going from a 2920 -- which is a hot rod, I had one -- to a 2650 is that you'd be losing 3 HP and going to a bigger heavier tractor. So it won't feel nearly as frisky as the 2920 did. When I went from my B2920 to an L3200, that's the biggest thing I noticed. Sure, the L is more capable of using the HP in cases where the 2920 would just spin tires, but when driving around I miss the hot rod feeling of the 2920.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #4  
I had a 2920 and traded it for a larger frame and larger BH, but that is another story. The 2920 was excellent, but if you want a factory cab then I think you picked the best Kubota model for what you outlined. Since you primarily mow is AC also a reason for cab? Or is it strictly for winter?

I would also check out the difference in the MMM between the 2x20 series and the larger framed 2650. In the past between these two frame sizes the MMM on the 2x20 series was a suspended floating deck and the B3200 etc. frame size had a ground supported deck (sorry for lack of proper terminology). This may have changed with the new models, but a point you may want to research.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . .
Folks,
Thank you for the input, I agree that I won't miss the 3HP, also, as for speed, it's about 3 MPH slower, may miss that when I'm done and headed back to the house, but hopefully the comfort of the cab will make the longer ride more enjoyable. As for mowing, yes I will enjoy the AC and not eating any more dust!

Can someone explain the performance difference of a floating verses a ground supported deck? I know the 2920 has a floating deck, and the 2650 has a ground supported deck. But not sure what the difference is on the mowing ability. I was told the deck on the 2650 will be easier to remove and reinstall verses the drive-over deck on the 2920.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #6  
I went from a 2920 with the floating deck to a 3200 with ground rolling deck. I much prefer the deck with ground contact. The biggest reason for me is the 1/2 my yard is on a steep hill and when mowing across the slope vs. up and down the cut was uneven because the chains swing slightly to the downhill side.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #7  
The 2650 has a floating deck as well! The difference btw. The 2920 and the 2650 is only 1.5 horsepower at the pto...I believe. I can't imagine it would be noticeable

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #8  
The 2650 has a floating deck as well! The difference btw. The 2920 and the 2650 is only 1.5 horsepower at the pto...I believe. I can't imagine it would be noticeable

Don't forget that the A/C is going to zap a couple HP from the engine as well.

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . .
Don't forget that the A/C is going to zap a couple HP from the engine as well.
fordmantpw,
Is the AC really going to pull that much HP from the engine?

/ What should I do? 2920 for a 2650 cab. . . . #10  
fordmantpw,
Is the AC really going to pull that much HP from the engine?

I would venture it's a couple HP. I know in many smaller vehicles I've driven, you can definitely tell when the A/C is on. Running the A/C isn't free.