Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor?

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #1  

grnmtnboys

Tractor
BX25D-1
So, I was at a client's house this morning, saw his B series in the driveway (not sure the model, he said it was 25 horse) asked him how he liked it, he said "It's been great, except..."

He then proceeded to tell me a story about how his wife was running a brush hog and managed to destroy the engine due to running way too hot, all she saw was the oil light and then the engine died. He was running a 5' model.

The mechanic he takes it to says he has seen several like that in the past so and so, and the good ol boys on the road tell him you can only run those "weekend warrior" tractors (i'm assuming he's a Deere guy) for about an hour or so with a brush hog and then let it rest a bit.

I was pretty close to picking up a 4' model from Tractor Supply for my BX but now a little nervous about it. I'm thinking it was likely a case of his dear wife not paying any attention to the temp gauge on the tractor more than anything, and then "no honey, I didn't see a thing..", purely based on my own experience with my wife/mechanical issues ("oh, that red light with the oil can thingy on it? it's been on for a couple of days, why? Is that why the engine sounds funny?"... true story)

I figure there are a bunch of variables involved, temp, how high the grass is, how long you run, etc but just want to make sure that running a hog off the back of my bx25 isn't more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #2  
Shouldn't be a problem if the bush hog is sized to the tractor.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #3  
I was in on the rebuild of a D8 Caterpillar that overheated - operator error is the same no matter what size.

It's how you run it not what you run behind it.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #4  
I was in on the rebuild of a D8 Caterpillar that overheated - operator error is the same no matter what size.

It's how you run it not what you run behind it.

Still can't pull a tile plow with a bx! :D I would think that keeping the airflow to those smaller tractors would be critical since they would most likely be sucking in ALOT of chaff and seed from the field being mowed.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor?
Sorry guys, thought I had posted this in Owning/Operating

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #6  
We run a Land Pride RCR1548 on our BX2200 as well as BX2660 for years with no problems of overheating. We also have a John Deere 2305. The JD easily clogs as it pulls air in from the front while the BX pulls it from the operators platform. We blow the screens off before using ours and since the intake is right in front of you, you can see if it is getting clogged. Our bigger Kubotas pull air from the front so in tough conditions we have to really watch the gauge.

If you are going to bush hog, I recommend an aftermarket HST plate, both Bxpanded and Bro Tek sell them. If you're mechanically inclined, you can make one as have several other members.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #7  
When mowing in late Summer with my JD2210 MMM it will get hot if you don't stop and clean the grass trash off the radiator screen. Same thing applies when running a brush cutter. If the cooling system is operating properly with no restrictions I should be fine. I am very conscious of the heat gauge on any tractor when I'm working it at PTO speed or above.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #8  
When mowing in late Summer with my JD2210 MMM it will get hot if you don't stop and clean the grass trash off the radiator screen. Same thing applies when running a brush cutter. If the cooling system is operating properly with no restrictions I should be fine. I am very conscious of the heat gauge on any tractor when I'm working it at PTO speed or above.

All true. Compressed air is best for blowing out grass and other residue from the inside out.

This assumes there is lubricant in the bush hog gearbox and that the bush hog is correctly adjusted, with rear of 'hog about 1" to 2" HIGHER than the front.

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #9  
Well I bush hogged 6 acres with my B2620 last weekend. The tractor has 600 hours on it, and I am guessing 100 hours of that has been bush hogging.
You have to watch the temp gauge, and blow out the screen every few hours, as well as the radiator.

Will

/ Brush Hogging Hard on Tractor? #10  
I bush hogged commercially with my 2 30hp kubota b series tractors for years. I would run 8 hours a day in mid summer temps. B7800 had 1700hrs on it and B3200 had 700 hrs on it. Probably 30 to 40% bushhogging with 5ft bush hog.

Like others said, keep eye on temp guage and keep radiator/grill clear of grass/seed chaff. There was many times I had to stop and shut tractor off and clean radiator screen. Then go again. Depends on type of grass, time of year, and outside temps. I have bushhogged 5ft high timmothy grass before. Really thick, had to go slow, but tractor handled it fine. I never had a problem due to bush hogging.

Bush hogging is probably one of the most demanding tasks on a tractor, both temp and fuel wise, but as said, if bush hog is not too big for tractor and operated accordingly, the tractors are designed for it.