How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower?

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
Local dealer has a used B2620 for sale, i would like to get a 72" belly mower but does that model have enough power for a 72"?

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #2  
Not sure if it has the power or not. I don't think KUBOTA makes a 72inch MMM for that model. maybe they don't make it for the reason of it being underpowered. If you bought a 72 inch mmm you might have to change and/or fabricate new lift bracket attachments for it in order to be able to lift it on that tractor

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #3  
Can't speak for the 2620 but I have a 72 mmm for my b2650 and it does fine, it can mow as fast as I can stand to ride. Field is anything but smooth. Haven't had it bog down, does better then my old Husqvarna 26hp with a 54 inch deck winch I would end up crawling in a few areas with real dense growth.

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #4  
How did you find a 72 inch MMM for it?

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #5  
Looks like Kubota now makes a 72 MMM for the 2650 but they didn't for the 2620

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #6  
Yes, got it from the dealer. Cuts nice too

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower?
Can't speak for the 2620 but I have a 72 mmm for my b2650 and it does fine, it can mow as fast as I can stand to ride. Field is anything but smooth. Haven't had it bog down, does better then my old Husqvarna 26hp with a 54 inch deck winch I would end up crawling in a few areas with real dense growth.

I just don't want to be under powered after suffering with a 42" 19HP cub cadet for 8 yrs. In tall grass i have to go 1 mph then go over it a few more times before it would cut it. I'm surprised that 19.5 pto is enough for a 72" deck.

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #8  
The answer is it depends on how thick the grass is but for normal summer conditions it does not take much HP to cut grass. I have a B7800 with a six ft belly mower and can go through anything with it with no trouble. Sometimes I pull a seven ft rear finish mower and I barely know it's back there. Sharp blades help the issue.

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #9  
Is the HP the same at the mid PTO and the rear PTO?

/ How much HP needed for a 72" belly mower? #10  
I have a 60 inch mmm for my B2620. It cuts fine. I didn't know there was a 72 inch mower available. That's 6'. Could it be someone confused 60 inches with 6 foot?

B2620 available attachments .

You said belly mower. You could get a 6' rear mount finish mower . But the practicality will depend on how tall and thick the grass is. If you cut frequently it would probably work.