1870 FEL

/ 1870 FEL #1  

maddog69

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200 in Pa. Kubota Bx 1870 Fl.
I think I'm going to buy a 1870 for moving some Florida sand and mowing. Any trouble lifting the FEL with a bucket full of sand? Thanks

/ 1870 FEL #2  
Never heard of anyone having trouble filling a bucket of any common material and lifting it, but sand can get heavy when damp. I know my LA 243 can lift a heaping bucket of moist clay or dirt. A heaping bucket of 3/4" wet gravel was no problem for my BX either. Keep in mind that mine is the 2360, not the 1870. That's my "real world" experience.

Looks like the LA 203 can do about 410 lb at max. height, by spec, so a full bucket of sand might push the limits at full height. If damp sand is around 115 lb per cubic foot on average, and your bucket holds 4.2 cu ft, you might have to grab a little less than a full bucket, if you are loading trailers. You should have less trouble if you're not lifting it very high, like when transporting around the yard to spread in certain areas. Either way, you need heavy counterweight on the back, because the back end will bounce and leave the ground.

/ 1870 FEL #3  
And, keep in mind that if your bucket load is heavy, and up high, your whole system's center of gravity is now also high, and if operating on any sort of slope (not likely in Florida, I know...) you can be in quick trouble.

/ 1870 FEL #4  
Do you (or Kubota) recommend loading the rear weight bucket with its maximum load (420Lbs)? Is the rear (3-point mounted) weight supposed to match/equal the weight that the front bucket is designed to lift?

/ 1870 FEL #5  
I used my BX1860 with the LA203 loader to move concrete while pouring a walkway last spring. It started to drizzle and our wonderful red clay turned to slick mud! I engaged the 4wd and continued on as the truck operator filled the bucket 2/3 full of concrete each trip to the walkway. It handled it wonderfully in the tight and slick conditions, but that was about all the weight that it would safely handle. My tires were filled by my selling dealer to provide greater stability when using the loader. I have thought about a larger machine, But I can honestly say that I run out of traction before I ran out of power to move it.