Tractor Sizing Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #21  
So I sold the l3400 and now I've got cash burning a hole in my pocket. I'm pretty well convinced that I should go with the MX5800, but still have a few doubts. I think it will have enough power to pull a light duty 12' batwing, probably the Woods BW12. Specs state that it requires 35 PTO and the MX5800 has 50. My long time dealer/mechanic thinks it will be fine. Also I emailed Woods directly and they think it will be more than fine. I'm a bit worried about the weight/size of the tractor. Dealer recommends filling the rear tires. Consensus on this site seems to be that the MX tractors are light. While I love the HST transmission, but I still think the tractor might be too small. I test drove an M5660 which has a hydraulic shuttle transmission. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I think I would prefer the HST. Also realized that the M is quite a bit bigger than the MX, again well documented on this site, but much more noticeable in person, imagine that. If I were only going to be pulling a brush hog, I'd go with the bigger machine for sure, but I'll also be pulling a finish mower and doing general farm chores which are better suited to the smaller HST. I guess this is more of a rant than a question, but any guidance would be appreciated.

The MX tractors are lite in the rear. Definitely load the tires. I just added 210lbs to each rear wheel of mine with the loaded tires. But, they are great machines. I have the gear drive, btw, and don't know why hst is such a big deal. Just my preference. ..

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #22  
   / Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #23  
come on guys 65 is not old.im almost 51 my body is beat up stiff and just about worn out.but i can still swing up on a tractor and do a pretty good days work.no i dont run a cab tractor.but to the question i feel the op may want to look at the 7060s.they are fairly priced like the mx5800s.

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #24  
come on guys 65 is not old.im almost 51 my body is beat up stiff and just about worn out.but i can still swing up on a tractor and do a pretty good days work.no i dont run a cab tractor.but to the question i feel the op may want to look at the 7060s.they are fairly priced like the mx5800s.

When I was 51, I didn't think 65 was old either, but now that I've run right past it, I've had to revise that. :)

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #25  
When I was 51, I didn't think 65 was old either, but now that I've run right past it, I've had to revise that. :)

I am 61, and there is a BIG difference between 51 and 61.. lemme tell ya..

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #26  
I'm 63 and have been retired for 3 years. I'm more active than I was in my 50's due to a management desk job. As a result, I'm 30 pounds lighter, healthier and in a lot better mood :) I'm doing things now that I don't think I could do a few years ago. Age is what you make of it. If you think your old, you are. Good luck with that philosophy, I refuse to buy into "senior citizen" phase.

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #27  
I'm 63 and have been retired for 3 years. I'm more active than I was in my 50's due to a management desk job. As a result, I'm 30 pounds lighter, healthier and in a lot better mood :) I'm doing things now that I don't think I could do a few years ago. Age is what you make of it. If you think your old, you are. Good luck with that philosophy, I refuse to buy into "senior citizen" phase.

You are able to do more because you do more now than you did in your fifties. Because you don't buy into something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and anecdotal is of little use in determining anything. Take a significant sampling of 53 year olds and 63 year olds, run them through a series of physical tests then you might have something.

Arthritis, cataracts, vision and hearing loss etc, are pretty immune to the power of positive thinking. I am happy you are experiencing such good health, but no way no how am I "buying into" the notion that everyone is experiencing diminished abilities to to a mental attitude.

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #28  
You are able to do more because you do more now than you did in your fifties. Because you don't buy into something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and anecdotal is of little use in determining anything. Take a significant sampling of 53 year olds and 63 year olds, run them through a series of physical tests then you might have something. Arthritis, cataracts, vision and hearing loss etc, are pretty immune to the power of positive thinking. I am happy you are experiencing such good health, but no way no how am I "buying into" the notion that everyone is experiencing diminished abilities to to a mental attitude.

Did I say I wasn't admitting to or defying illness? I have the same body of a normal 63 year old with some arthritis thrown in. I do not let it define who I am. That's the difference.

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #29  
Did I say I wasn't admitting to or defying illness? I have the same body of a normal 63 year old with some arthritis thrown in. I do not let it define who I am. That's the difference.

OK, but that seems to be a bit different than: "Age is what you make of it. If you think your old, you are. Good luck with that philosophy, I refuse to buy into "senior citizen" phase."

You seem to be telling those of us who have age related limitations it's all in our minds.

My point is, it matters not what you "think", there are conditions in which positive thinking or a good attitude is meaningless.

There is a reason athletes "time out" as no matter how hard you try, you simply are capable of a lesser degree of performance as you age.

/ Time to upgrade from my L3400, need advice #30  
OK, but that seems to be a bit different than: "Age is what you make of it. If you think your old, you are. Good luck with that philosophy, I refuse to buy into "senior citizen" phase." You seem to be telling those of us who have age related limitations it's all in our minds. My point is, it matters not what you "think", there are conditions in which positive thinking or a good attitude is meaningless. There is a reason athletes "time out" as no matter how hard you try, you simply are capable of a lesser degree of performance as you age.

Well, TrippleR, you are correct, age related limitations are not in our minds. It's how we view the world with them that matters. With that, I'll have to respectfully disagree, a positive attitude is not meaningless. On that note, with regards, have a happy Thanksgiving.