Questions about the BX25D

/ Questions about the BX25D #1  

jc21

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD X320
Took a BX25D for a short test spin last week and had some questions. 1. Is 1500 rpm really the idle speed and if so, why so high? 2. How difficult is it to attach the 3 point arms after removing the backhoe? 3. Does Kubota have a drive over mower deck for this tractor? ... I'd heard rumors of one. 4. Besides size obviously, what is the difference between the 54" and 60" mower decks - the brochure says the 54" is a "suspended linkage" and the 60" is a "self balance" .... never heard the term "self balance" before. 5. How easy (or difficult) is routine maintenance? ... looks as though you have to pull the two side panels to do much of anything in the engine compartment. TIA

/ Questions about the BX25D #2  
Yes, they idle pretty high, that's normal. I've read it's an em mission thing.

I also thought they now offered a drive over deck.

If it has a front brush guard, that probably has to come off to get the side panels off. I've done all the maintenance on mine, it's pretty easy.

As far as the decks. I think they are all suspended decks for BXs. They do make a fine cut deck but it's still suspended.

/ Questions about the BX25D #3  
Took a BX25D for a short test spin last week and had some questions. 1. Is 1500 rpm really the idle speed and if so, why so high? 2. How difficult is it to attach the 3 point arms after removing the backhoe? 3. Does Kubota have a drive over mower deck for this tractor? ... I'd heard rumors of one. 4. Besides size obviously, what is the difference between the 54" and 60" mower decks - the brochure says the 54" is a "suspended linkage" and the 60" is a "self balance" .... never heard the term "self balance" before. 5. How easy (or difficult) is routine maintenance? ... looks as though you have to pull the two side panels to do much of anything in the engine compartment. TIA

Actually, you can just undo the side panels and spread them apart a bit to get at lots of things. I have never had to take the whole panel assembly off yet, and I have had mine for over six years now. Nothing ever seems to go wrong on these things! (Well, except for the tires developing slow leaks.)

/ Questions about the BX25D #4  
As mentioned above, maintenance is pretty simple. Both mower decks are suspended. The self balancing on the 60" keeps the deck level on uneven terrain.
My deck has self balancing and it works pretty good. I have a lot of uneven ground.

/ Questions about the BX25D #5  
1. Mine idles at 1500. Emissions is what I heard too. 2. It took me roughly 15 minutes to swap the BH for a 3 PT PHD the first time I did it alone. I'm getting faster at it. Pretty simple - just remember to shut the engine down and jiggle the hydraulic controls on the BH to relieve all pressure from the lines before you disconnect them. 3. Finding detailed information about Kubota implements is like searching for the Holy Grail. It's reported to exist but no one can find it! The website is next to useless and the printed literature is not much better. How they expect to sell the stuff is beyond me. 4. IDK. 5. For regular maintenance you don't need to remove the cover. The oil filter is easily accessible from underneath. Air filter from up top. Watch this video by Paul Short on BX25D maintenance - lots of good info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi9PVdEmNRs. If you find you do need to remove the cover, it's a couple minutes to remove the brush guard and loosen the two knobs that hold the cover in place.

/ Questions about the BX25D #6  
1. Mine idles at 1500. Emissions is what I heard too. 2. It took me roughly 15 minutes to swap the BH for a 3 PT PHD the first time I did it alone. I'm getting faster at it. Pretty simple - just remember to shut the engine down and jiggle the hydraulic controls on the BH to relieve all pressure from the lines before you disconnect them. 3. Finding detailed information about Kubota implements is like searching for the Holy Grail. It's reported to exist but no one can find it! The website is next to useless and the printed literature is not much better. How they expect to sell the stuff is beyond me. 4. IDK. 5. For regular maintenance you don't need to remove the cover. The oil filter is easily accessible from underneath. Air filter from up top. Watch this video by Paul Short on BX25D maintenance - lots of good info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi9PVdEmNRs. If you find you do need to remove the cover, it's a couple minutes to remove the brush guard and loosen the two knobs that hold the cover in place.

Rusty, you are A LOT faster than I am. I can easily spend an hour or more taking the backhoe off and putting the rear snowblower on. And that is with the BXpanded.com backhoe dolly - and Pat's "Quick Hitch" System for the 3-point hitch. I wish someone would invent a 3-point hitch that does not have so many parts that need assembling when installing it on the tractor. And which, of course also need disassembling in the Spring when I put the backhoe back on. It is also too bad that you have to take the whole 3-point assembly off when you put the backhoe on.

/ Questions about the BX25D
Thanks to all, especially for the video link- routine maintenance doesn't look bad at all. I was surprised by the BX25D. Felt rock solid and was far more comfortable than I expected, more comfortable to operate than a B2620 I tried a few years back. Got hip and knee replacements (both legs) and am recovering (as is our bank account) from a bad fall (shattered femur, separated shoulder) so comfort/ ergonomics is a big deal to me ... the BX surprised me with how good it was.

/ Questions about the BX25D #8  

Rusty, you are A LOT faster than I am. I can easily spend an hour or more taking the backhoe off and putting the rear snowblower on. And that is with the BXpanded.com backhoe dolly - and Pat's "Quick Hitch" System for the 3-point hitch. I wish someone would invent a 3-point hitch that does not have so many parts that need assembling when installing it on the tractor. And which, of course also need disassembling in the Spring when I put the backhoe back on. It is also too bad that you have to take the whole 3-point assembly off when you put the backhoe on.

I cheat a little bit. I use a chain fall to keep the BH at the correct height (prevents settling) for re-attachment while it's off the BX and I have the PHD hung in a simple bracket that makes it easier to connect to the 3pt. The 3pt itself takes longer to install than the BH & PHD together - like you said, so many little parts to deal with! Soon I will be removing the FEL in order to install the hydraulic front blade for snow season. I think that might take me a while.

/ Questions about the BX25D #10  
. Rusty, you are A LOT faster than I am. I can easily spend an hour or more taking the backhoe off and putting the rear snowblower on. And that is with the BXpanded.com backhoe dolly - and Pat's "Quick Hitch" System for the 3-point hitch. I wish someone would invent a 3-point hitch that does not have so many parts that need assembling when installing it on the tractor. And which, of course also need disassembling in the Spring when I put the backhoe back on. It is also too bad that you have to take the whole 3-point assembly off when you put the backhoe on.

I was reading up on the B2650 HSD, and it seems that it's Backhoe comes off very quick, and if I remember correctly, you do not have to take off the three point hitch to mount the backhoe. Man, it is too bad the darn thing cost so much!😢