Tractor Sizing L series comparison

/ L series comparison #1  

jyoutz

Tractor
Kubota MX6000
After 15 years with my John Deere 4100 compact tractor, I've decided to upgrade. It's too small for my needs. I use the heck out of it roto- tilling, doing loader work, mowing with my rotary cutter, and maintaining my 2000+ feet of private road (grading and snow removal). I have 20 acres and I typically mow about 10 acres of native grass. I don't want to go to much larger because the smaller tractor does work nicely in my garden and barn, but I need one that is heavier, more stable and with a larger frame. I actually do everything I need to do with the 4100 (20 HP gear) but I sometimes feel unstable when doing loader and road work. I want a wider tractor with more weight. I have my eyes on the L2510 and L3301. Both tractors have the same frame size, weight, and loader capacity. The only difference is the HP (25 vs 33). The cost difference is about $3-4K. I'd like to hear some thoughts - I'm pretty sure that the L2501 would be a big step up from my current machine and would fit my needs. BUT I'm wondering what I'd be giving up by not going for the greater HP on the L3301?

/ L series comparison #2  
More HP ain't gonna gain you anything for loader work or drive maintenance. But is a huge help for anything pto driven. Tiller, mower, bushhog, etc. That step up in BP should allow 12" wider implements to be ran with about the same load on the tractor.

/ L series comparison #3  
The L series is a great tractor. I recently traded my 32hp B3200 for an L3901. Same frame size as what you are considering, just more HP. A neighbor owns a landscaping company in town and recently purchased an L25. That is ok as he only loads mulch. I work with heavy wet clay and have to put ballast on the rear to hold it down. The L model will handle your implements much better than the 4100. Go HST and add the cruise control option for mowing. Go for as much horsepower as your budget will allow. You will have no regrets buying the larger hp unit. Better to have the power and not need it than to need the power and not have it. I put my money on the L3901. I started with a 21 hp unit and graduated to the 39. No regrets except I did not buy the 39 first.

/ L series comparison #4  
Pretty much what LD1 said from looking at the spec sheet. We mow a lot of native grass and it takes a lot of power to keep up good ground speed. I like running my tractors, but sometimes less time in the seat can be a good thing.

I went out to buy a L3400 and came home with a L5030 and never regretted it, but we have a lot of acreage. A 3400 would have done it, but the bigger one does it quicker.

It would sure be worth it to me, but not others.

/ L series comparison #5  
^^ This. I traded in my L3400 commercial tractor I used for right of way mowing for an L2501 only because I no longer needed the PTO horsepower for a 6' cutter. I did need the same sized frame for weight and stance for hilly, wooded conditions. I didn't notice any difference in performance with the FEL or BB between the two.

I put the cutter on the 2501 and it does OK on my property however a 6' cutter is asking a lot out of a 21 horsepower PTO.

/ L series comparison #6  
I am also trying to decide by spring...most likely between the B650/B3350 class and the L2502/3301/3901 class. I also plan on brush hogging wild grass/saplings, work on trails, work off road "cleaning" deadfalls, clearing lots of older dead stumps out and general 120 acre (mostly treed) stuff :)

Couple of questions to add to the discussion. I have read the posts on the Tier IV B3350 having regeneration problems...that may or may not have been fixed yet. Many question buying a Tier IV until issues are well past us. I assume the L3301 and the L3901 are both Tier IV Final engines? Do they have the same Tier IV issues??

Hope OP is curious about same issue...not trying to step on his thread...Thanks...Tom R

/ L series comparison #7  
I am also trying to decide by spring...most likely between the B650/B3350 class and the L2502/3301/3901 class. I also plan on brush hogging wild grass/saplings, work on trails, work off road "cleaning" deadfalls, clearing lots of older dead stumps out and general 120 acre (mostly treed) stuff :)

Couple of questions to add to the discussion. I have read the posts on the Tier IV B3350 having regeneration problems...that may or may not have been fixed yet. Many question buying a Tier IV until issues are well past us. I assume the L3301 and the L3901 are both Tier IV Final engines? Do they have the same Tier IV issues??

Hope OP is curious about same issue...not trying to step on his thread...Thanks...Tom R

My L39 has a Tier IV engine but not with DEF. If I run at less than 2000 RPMs the REGEN light flashes after a period of time. A few minutes at 2000 plus RPM and it goes away. I generally run at 2000 RPM which prevents the REGEN light from coming on often. If you don't want to hassle with DEF then go find a dealer now that has some older inventory. My dealer told me that after the first of the year the only thing he will be able to get are units that require DEF. Next week should be a great time to make a good deal. End of year inventory clearance.

/ L series comparison #8  
I am also trying to decide by spring...most likely between the B650/B3350 class and the L2502/3301/3901 class. I also plan on brush hogging wild grass/saplings, work on trails, work off road "cleaning" deadfalls, clearing lots of older dead stumps out and general 120 acre (mostly treed) stuff :) Couple of questions to add to the discussion. I have read the posts on the Tier IV B3350 having regeneration problems...that may or may not have been fixed yet. Many question buying a Tier IV until issues are well past us. I assume the L3301 and the L3901 are both Tier IV Final engines? Do they have the same Tier IV issues?? Hope OP is curious about same issue...not trying to step on his thread...Thanks...Tom R

The 3301 and the 3901 are both Tier IV final engines. Just judging off of non threads here on TBN, seems as if they are not having issues. 120 acres of woods would push me up to an L series with at minimum 30 horses at the PTO.

Keeping in mind that working in woods with steep terrain, I wouldn't be doing anything "fast", the L2501 was the logical choice for my 23 acres.

/ L series comparison
The 3301 and the 3901 are both Tier IV final engines. Just judging off of non threads here on TBN, seems as if they are not having issues. 120 acres of woods would push me up to an L series with at minimum 30 horses at the PTO.

Keeping in mind that working in woods with steep terrain, I wouldn't be doing anything "fast", the L2501 was the logical choice for my 23 acres.

Thanks for all of your responses. I do agree with the L series over the B series for uneven ground or anything rough. Frame size and weight are more important than HP in these uses. From the responses here, it sounds like either a 2501 or 3301 would work for me. A couple of other questions: Some times I push heavy snow. I usually run out of traction, not HP in these cases, but I'd like some thoughts from others. Also, What about the emissions situation? I understand that the 3301 and larger sizes use DEF, while the 2501 does not. Is there an appreciable difference in exhaust smell between the two? I have never been fond of smelling diesel fumes for hours on my 4100. This could make the difference for me.

/ L series comparison #10  
It seems to me that what I've read about the Tier IV final engines are having more problems in cold weather conditions. This is just my observation. I for one will be keeping my eye on threads on this when weather changes.
By the way it was in the 50's yesterday here in Michigan.