MX5000SU opinions?

/ MX5000SU opinions? #1  

tom4018

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I saw a MX5000SU on Craigslist and called about it. 2009 model, one owner with less than 600 hours. Loader, Bucket and bale spear. Pictures look good.
Would this tractor be ok handle 4x5 bales? Looking for a second tractor to rake, ted and have to load or unload while current tractor is at one place and this one at the other place. What is it worth?

/ MX5000SU opinions? #2  
Looks like that's a 2wd model with a LB702 loader (not sure, but it might be possible that there's a LA852 on there (not sure if you could get that on the SU). The loader comes off easily, which would be swell for your haying duties. The smaller loader is rated at 1850# at the pins to full height, so depending on your bale weight, it seems like it should probably handle it. Being 2wd, you're going to need as much weight on the back as you can get, loaded rears with weights if you can and about 1600-1800# on the back if you're going to be loading or unloading several bales. Is it equipped with SSQA? I suppose it'll depend on the used market where you are, but I'd guess that tractor's worth somewhere around 9-12k (just a guess, though). Maybe a little more if it's real shiny and has SSQA. Let us know if you get it.

/ MX5000SU opinions?
Looks like that's a 2wd model with a LB702 loader (not sure, but it might be possible that there's a LA852 on there (not sure if you could get that on the SU). The loader comes off easily, which would be swell for your haying duties. The smaller loader is rated at 1850# at the pins to full height, so depending on your bale weight, it seems like it should probably handle it. Being 2wd, you're going to need as much weight on the back as you can get, loaded rears with weights if you can and about 1600-1800# on the back if you're going to be loading or unloading several bales. Is it equipped with SSQA? I suppose it'll depend on the used market where you are, but I'd guess that tractor's worth somewhere around 9-12k (just a guess, though). Maybe a little more if it's real shiny and has SSQA. Let us know if you get it.

I really did not ask him on the phone if it was a Kubota loader, pretty sure he did say it was SSQA though. Pictures on the ad really look like the loader is aftermarket. I will probably handle some 5 x 5 bales as I do some hay with a neighbor. I also found a JD 5103 which is a heavier tractor but a couple thousand more, I thought the weight might be better for handling bales. This guy is asking quite a bit more than what you guessed. You don't see many on Fastline or Tractor House, some without loaders for $12,000 and only saw one with loader for $17,000 and he is below that in price. I worry that this tractor is heavy enough to do what I want.

/ MX5000SU opinions? #4  
I would not want to handle 4x5 or bigger bales with a borderline compact tractor, especially a 2wd one.

I think if you mainly want to rake and ted and just use it for hard/dry surface unloading you might be ok. I've handled 4x4 bales for years on a 42 PTO HP utility 2wd, and have handled 4x5, no way I'd want to be using it all the time with 4x5's.

A 5103 is same weight as a 61 PTO HP 5403 as less price and a full size utility. Most of those tractors here wore 16.9-28 as well.