Make This Decision For Me

/ Make This Decision For Me #1  

snmhanson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I've posted here a few times and have gotten good results so I trust you guys with this decision. I have a B7510 parked in my driveway right now that the dealer let me demo. It has a 302 FEL, 60" mmm, rear fork and about ten hours (now fourteen) and the dealer is wanting 14,250 for it. I used it a little and it is nice but my eyes keep drifting over to the unused B7800 he's got sitting on the lot right now. He's asking 17,700 for that with the same set up (402 FEL, 60" mmm and rear fork). I know these prices are slightly higher than the lowest prices I've seen here but I live in a small community and he is the only dealer and I want to support him. On Wednesday I told the dealer I'd take the 7510 and signed the sales agreement but havn't put any money down or signed the financing agreement yet so I don't think he would have any problems taking the 7510 back if I was going to get the 7800. My beautiful /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, loving /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and understanding /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif wife told me to go ahead and get whichever I want and I think I am leaning towards the 7800. I cleaned the 7510 up Thursday evening and was going to bring it back for the 7800 but my salesman wasn't there and won't be in till Monday. So now I am sitting here with a new tractor in my driveway just begging me to use it but I don't want to dirty it up again or put any more hours on it if I am going to return it.

So here's where ya'll come in. Which would you guys go with? I am going to use it for landscaping a fairly level but rocky and compacted acre and a half (involving pulling a box blade, maybe a tiller, pulling a smallerish harrow and maybe some ditching if I can find a 3 pt. rental, if not try to get by using a sub soiler and shovel or rent a ditch witch), mow the lawn once it's landscaped, use a post hole digger, level areas for my kid's playground and a big dog kennel, keep our 3 1/2 ares of trees maintained, clear snow from an 800' foot drive a few times a year, dig a tunnel to China, etc... I like the fact that the 7800 has a 4 cylinder enging, stronger frame, more HP, more weight and more capacities but not sure I really need it since the only tractor time I have is 4 hrs on the 7510. Anyway, my thought is that we are either going to have this thing for many years and the extra 3,500 isn't that much for something that will be used over that period of time OR we will use it for the landscaping work and then sell it in which case it should be worth almost 3,500 more than the 7510 would be anyway. I guess I just want to make sure I don't go with the 7800 if there is absolutely no reason to in my situation. Unless you guys tell me different I think I will go with my gut and go bigger. Thanks in advance for all the great advice I know you guys are going to give me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt

/ Make This Decision For Me #2  
Matt, if I make a deal with someone, I just won't back out without that person's approval, but yes, if it's agreeable with the dealer, I'd sure move up the B7800.

/ Make This Decision For Me #3  
Two things..... you don't have to wait till the salesman comes back on Monday.... go in tomorrow morning and talk to the owner if he is there or the sales manager. Lacking either of those two people, ask that they call the salesman and have him come down. Unless he is already committed, he might want to accommodate you considering that it means more money in his pocket.
Second item is, never settle for less than that which you want if it is feasible within your budget and you can justify it to yourself. If you want larger, then go larger. We can't make that decision for you, you know your property and you know your desires, needs, wants, and finances. If the wife is in agreement, there is no discussion. If you don't get what you want now, you will be trading up next year and it will cost you more then. No matter what, resist the urge to get on that tractor and don't put any more hours on it. There isn't much difference between 10 and 14 hours, but if you add a few more to the 14, it might start to make a difference in the value in the dealerships mind as for taking it back and giving you a full credit towards the other machine. Make sure that the machine going back is as clean or even cleaner than when they delivered it. This means even if you have to polish the black rubber hoses, do it. The dealer won't want to have to put any more time or money into that machine when it returns than he already has if he is to allow you to trade up. Good luck, I think that you are making a wise decision to go with the new vs. used for many reasons, some of which you haven't even thought of yet.

/ Make This Decision For Me #4  
I've rented a bunch of different Kubotas and other brands over the years, mostly for construction but I've also driven them on lawns. I've also asked here for advice on using different sizes for mowing. The 7500 is on the edge of what you can use on a suburban type lawn and not tear it up, especially if it's at all wet or morning and there's dew on the grass. The 7800 will definitely tear it up unless it's real dry and you're not particular about your lawn. The 7800 is a little larger so you'll have more problems going around and under things. My guess is you will end up buying a small garden tractor in either case if you're only mowing an acre, so you probably shouldn't use that as a criterion.

You didn't mention it, but if you use a backhoe there's a noticeable difference in power and reach with the backhoes that you can put on each.

If the lawn thing doesn't matter I'd buy the biggest, baddest you can afford. As the gipper used to say, "throw deep".

/ Make This Decision For Me #5  
I would agree with Bird on his point.

But I would also take the smaller B7510 as my first choice anyway.

If I understood you, you have a small piece of property. The larger B7800 will look really attractive NOW while you are doing the landscape construction. But in a couple years, the B7510 will look a lot more attractive because you won't be building, you will be maintaining. And for maintaining you need things like tighter turning radius for mowing around the shrubs you planted. And in reality, the B7510 will do the same job the B7800 will do, it will just take a few minutes longer. The B7510 has MOST of the capacity of the B7800 and you probably won't notice much of its capacity shortcomings today. But in the long run, you will do a LOT MORE of the maintainence adn a LOT LESS of the construction projects, and that is when the B7510 will show that it is the best LONG TERM choice. Sometimes, for some of us, bigger is better. Quite often, bigger is better for our egos, but not from a practical standpoint. Just my 2 cents.

/ Make This Decision For Me #6  
Bob, I have to agree with you. That was the reasoning I used when getting a bx. In the long run the mainaining will be much easier with a smaller unit.
SCB

/ Make This Decision For Me #7  
MATT: welcome to the forum! and it sounds like u have made the decesion for yourself. you know u want the 7800 and if the bride endorsed it, and u can handel the extra$$$ then get that 7800, u ain't going to be happy with the b7510, not because it is not a great tractor, only u seem to want the b7800. just call the dealer and tell him! u don't have to waite for your salesman to be in.

/ Make This Decision For Me
Thanks for all of the great advice. It has given me food for thought but I don't know if it changed my mind at all yet. However, let me clarify a few things:

1) I don't intend to walk away from the deal I signed for the 7510 unless I have the dealers blessing. And then it would only be to move up to the 7800 from the same dealer. I don't see him having a problem with it though because I only put four of the fifteen hours on the tractor and actually haven't even used it since I signed the agreement.

2) Our property is five acres, not too large but it is somewhat difficult property to work with. - About two acres are an open and pretty rocky field with our house on it and most of that will be landscaped. What's not landscaped of those two acres will still need to be mowed to keep the weeds/grass under control. We don't have many trees and obstacles to deal with for mowing and I am working the landscaping around any obstacles we do have to be "mower-friendly". The other three or so acres are wooded in scrub oak and pine trees and will need to be maintained. The oaks seem to just about fall apart over time and a lot of limbs will need to be hauled to the burn pile each year. I have quite a few large rocks (24" or more) that I need to deal with as well. Mostly move from one place to the other but also try to get a few out of the ground. I also plan on doing a lot of box blading to grade and a lot of FEL work to move soil to fill low area.

3) The salesman I was dealing with is also the owner and sales manager. He is at a sales meeting today (Friday) and won't be back till Monday. Oh well, the anticipation just makes it that much better, right?

4) I am going to have projects going on for some time that I will need the tractor for. Landscaping is probably going to be done it several phases that will take a few years, I plan on building a shop in the future that will require leveling and such and there will be endless projects that will come along. We also may, if it works out, someday buy the four acres in front of us and plant some sort of orchard or vineyard. Just a dream right now but if the opportunity presents itself we may go for it.

Just wanted to provide this more detailed information for anyone else who cars to comment. Thanks.

Matt

/ Make This Decision For Me #9  
Matt,

I have a B2910, which is a B7800 with some bells and whistles.

I also have a BX2200.

When I think of my "tractor" I think of the B2910. Part of the reason could be that the B2910 has a loader and backhoe.

So anyway, with 3.7 acres I am glad I have the B2910, as I have improvements I want to make. And I have done a lot already with the larger tractor.

But I bought the BX because I felt it could do better at grass cutting and at the same time make the larger tractor last longer as it would be resting while the little one worked.

I have also concluded if I had to have only one tractor for the long run, I probably would be better off after the initial work is done with a B7500 size tractor.

Now to put things into perspective, my neighbor with 4.5 acres has been quite happy with his 38 PTO HP International 454 tractor for the 25 or so years I have known him. He did finally get a smaller JD tractor for grass cutting and small chores though...

So what am I trying to say? I guess I don't know what to advise you to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ Make This Decision For Me #10  
Bigger is better.

I have the B7800. I also have lawn equipment. The B7800 was used a week ago to do a new lawn. In other words, rip it up!

The lawn equipment is used for the finer aspects of lawn care.
Each has their own place in my life.

For each job there is a specific tool.

Get the B7800, over the long haul, the money will be well spent and recovered in the jobs it will do for you.

Good luck.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif