Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #21  
I like that, "biggest I can talk myself into."

You read BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR here, often. Seldom buy the "biggest I can talk myself into".

I know about the Kubota plants, kinda makes me want to support the "home team" even though the company is Japanese.

Kubota stock is owned all over the world. I own some. It trades on the NYSE: KUBTY.

I am confident plenty of Deere stock and Agco stock is owned in Japan, Chile, Norway, Poland, Indonesia, etc. It is one world these days.

Last edited:
   / Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #22  
Jeff mentioned you could do the work with a L3560. He's right. You could also find a way to get it done with a small 20 HP machine. OR with a shovel for that matter.

I kind of prefer 5,400 pound Kubota L3560......then the rest.

From Kubota L3560/LA805 Operator's Manuals:

HST Tractor--------------------------3,649 pounds (presumably with Ag tires)

LA805 Loader------------------------1,279 pounds

L2296 72" Round Back HD Bucket----397 pounds

R4 tires over R1 tires-------------------75 pounds

TOTAL--------------------------------5,400 pounds

Last edited:
   / Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #23  
I kind of prefer 5,400 pound Kubota L3560......then the rest.
Well, 5400 in cab attire, loaded tires, loader, etc... open station, it is quite a bit lighter than the M series he's looking at. My Massey is about 600lbs heavier than your tractor, stronger in every category. Not a "mine's bigger than yours" statement, but you'll agree that mine will do the same work better and faster than yours. Same way that yours would over a 20 HP machine. Same way that a M series would over my machine.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #24  
I've got an MX 4700. I agree with TSO that the MX series is really lacking in 3 point lift capacity. I personally feel that this is the only major drawback.

I'm extremely happy with my MX, and I love the HST! It's my opinion that unless you KNOW otherwise, and are basing your decision on firsthand experience, that most tractor buyers will be best suited with a hydrostatic machine.

Some days I do wish my tractor was bigger, but not very often. Also, if I needed a bigger tractor, I'd probably buy some old iron. Around here, you can buy a 80-100 HP tractor for under 10k all day long.

Regarding towing, I've got a 300 6 also, but mine's in a 3/4 ton with 4.10 gears and a ZF five speed. I wouldn't hesitate to pull my MX with loaded tires, loader and bucket and an implement why reasonable weight on a long trip. If your truck is properly equipped (good tires, brake controller, properly rated receiver) it's possible you could pull an MX on the lightest trailer that'll handle the weight. You'll probably be overloaded, and I certainly wouldn't attempt much highway travel, but you could probably tow it across town.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota
Well its obvious now I need to go back a couple of steps and look at more tractors. The information you guys are providing about manufacturers is most insightful. If I knew the tractor I was buying was assembled in a plant just south of here it would be a very strong selling point for me. That aside, I don't doubt the Japanese built tractors are good ones. Nor the Korean ones.

Hoping to get some time Wednesday. Kioti, NH and Kubota are close in SC, or Massey and NH/Kubota which are south of here in GA. Then there are two more Kubota dealers to the west.

Strong points about the L jeff, however when I price them online the cost is high for similar HP. Why not pay less for more hp, weight, and lifting capacity? Is the smaller footprint the selling point on the L? Can't figure out what I'm missing.

Even though I am young I tend to shy away from extra features on tools and equipment, albeit with exceptions. My Stihl 261c has m-tronic of which I was skeptical, but it has been great. Sifting through all that is available on a modern tractor and deciding what is worth it or not is tough.

Haha shovel and rope is where I've been for years. Don't mind it but I'll never get caught up that way. Too much to do. I appreciate your advice about a bigger tractor TSO, strong points. Down the road is what I'm thinking. Definitely will be getting prices on 5660s to see if the budget will allow it. The trade off is interesting: more power means faster times pulling, but loss of HST, which means slower times moving stuff around.

Motown thanks for your input. HST probably would be better for me as a beginner tractor driver. I have run a skid steer and trachoe quite a bit for work. And having driven older dump trucks, as well as owning manual trans vehicles I am partial to a clutch. Had it in my head to stay "old school."

Gonna try to test drive both HST and Shuttle and think hard about how much I'll be using it for each purpose, hour for hour. Also gather more accurate pricing and look at used market harder for a week or so. Once again thanks for all your help, I'll report back probably with more questions.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota
Oh and across town or just to the dealer for service with the lightest trailer possible is exactly what I was thinking with towing, but we'll just have to see how that pans out. Not gonna complicate it further with that. Can usually borrow a rig to haul if in a pinch.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #27  
Strong points about the L jeff, however when I price them online the cost is high for similar HP. Why not pay less for more hp, weight, and lifting capacity? Is the smaller footprint the selling point on the L?

I provided LINKS. Open them.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #28  
When looking a the M5660 HST is not an option, however it has hydro-shuttle reverse. Does that work almost as well for loader work, or is that a step down?

you will only find hydraulic shuttle in larger utility tractors, not HST, that should say something there.

I'd go with the M5660. Don't think the M7040SU is still offered in the US new, but the back half of the M5660 looks the same as the last M7040SUs and the M7040SU did not have DPF etc like the M5660 has.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #29  
You will not be pulling any tractor you have mentioned with a six cylinder F-150.

Do not under estimate the 300. Geared right they were the better choice in an F150 than a 302. you could get a 300 6 in an F350 and even larger trucks. An F150 with the fuel injected 300 with a granny low 4-speed (not the Mazda 5 speed) and a decent rear axle ratio isn't much different than a 3/4 ton of that era. You could get the HD ZF 5 speed in the F250 and up, just not in the F150.

/ Help choosing correct 45-50hp Kubota #30  
Do not under estimate the 300. Geared right they were the better choice in an F150 than a 302. you could get a 300 6 in an F350 and even larger trucks. An F150 with the fuel injected 300 with a granny low 4-speed (not the Mazda 5 speed) and a decent rear axle ratio isn't much different than a 3/4 ton of that era. You could get the HD ZF 5 speed in the F250 and up, just not in the F150.
I had the straight-6 300ci in my '86 F150 with 4spd auto. Good truck, great engine, mine was Carb, valve covers leaked like crazy. Never pulled a whole lot with it, but I can't imagine loading up a bunch of weight behind it. In contrast, my '86 Bronco with the 302ci V8 and 4spd manual (with 1st as a creeper) was a much stronger puller.