M7040 Narrow Experience

/ M7040 Narrow Experience #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I currently have a MX5100 and I work a 20 acre peach orchard. I could use a little more power to run my Airblast sprayer but I don't want a bigger tractor. So I am starting to consider the 7040 narrow. It is only 48" wide and is also lower. I think it might be just what I need in the orchard. They also have a cab version which would get me in out of the pesticides. Does anyone have any experience with the narrow tractors. I realize there might be a down side with a narrow tractor. But I think there are many advantages. I mostly mow with an offset mower to get under the trees and run the sprayer. But I have to maneuver thru a lot of tight places going from row to row. And I can't have large tractor tires catching the limbs. I think the narrow tractors are primarily used in orchards. I must confess I have not seen one up close. My dealer said it would probably take 8 weeks to get one. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks......cj

/ M7040 Narrow Experience #2  
When I bought my M7040, there were "narrows" on the lot, but non-cab. Boy, the operator station is really small, tight, and narrow.

The M7040 sits pretty high for tree orchard use and a cab would likely be destroyed in short order. Mine is not cabbed but I wouldn't think of driving it in my orchards. It is too wide (as you know) and too tall. "Narrow" would only fix one aspect. Around here, the "narrows" are used for winery grape parcels (vineyards).

I'm a "Kubota man" but have seen orchard-specific tractors from other manufacturers in the apricot and peach orchards around the CA Central Valley that work very well. Much better than a M7040. They are cabbed, low-slung, and almost armored. Plenty of power to run 8' to 10' flail mowers and large sprayers.

Last edited: