Comparison Kubota Mini Ex's

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I been looking around at used Mini excavators and noticed that there are a LOT of the Kubota's out there with over 4000 hrs on the meter. I know that is a lot of hrs on a mini but do the Kubota's seem to hold up better to higher hrs than say Bobcat or some of the other brands? Is there any "problems" specific to the Kubotas that I should be looking for (Planning on buying a much lower hr machine but the high hrs sort of caught my attention)

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #2  
I'm a Kubota dealer, so take this with a grain of sale. Bobcat's suffer from sloppy boom syndrome quite quickly and feel beat well before a Kubota would.

/ Kubota Mini Ex's
Thank you. I have heard that several times before, seems a lot of complaints on the Bobcats. I am pretty set on a Kubota. Mainly because it is so easy to get parts, good selection in the trip state area and I have had great luck with their tractors. It seems they have few problems on the mini's overall. Been researching them for months and I really don't read about many problems/concerns.
I am really liking the the KX71. Now the hard part is deciding between new and used. I am going to start with it being for my own personal use so not many hrs but plan on doing some side work with it down the road. Seems the price is not all that far apart on low hr machines.

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #4  
I'm a Kubota dealer, so take this with a grain of sale. Bobcat's suffer from sloppy boom syndrome quite quickly and feel beat well before a Kubota would.

Well is 4000 hours too much for the Kubota then?

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #5  
I bought an '05 KX71 in January with 2700 hrs. I've only put about 40 hours on it but so far I'm very happy with it. Small enough to maneuver and move but big enough to do the job. Has no leaks and everything is tight and runs quiet. I don't know how it was used in its former life but when I asked the seller if he had had any problems with it he said "none. . . it's a Kubota". When I had to move it one wintery 10 degree morning it started right up.
I found a decent selection available during the fall/winter on Craigslist and machinery trader but once spring hit they were few and far between and when they were listed they went quickly. You may want to wait it out for more choices and a better deal when the weather gets colder.
Definitely get one with a thumb or figure another 2k to add one. The older KX71's will need a relief valve installed for the thumb - $400 at the dealer.

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #7  
I have a rental business with 5 Kubota minis. Never had a customer say they prefer Bobcat. The mechanical quick attach is important if you are going to use it for side jobs as you may want a couple of different size buckets. This is where you may find value in a used machine if it has a couple of buckets. The 36' clean up bucket is very handy, rake too.

/ Kubota Mini Ex's
Thanks everyone. Do you feel the KX71 is largest enough to handle a 36" bucket in softer material? I am just a little concerned that it maybe a bit small for building retaining walls, would love to find more info on peoples uses and experiences.

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #9  
I dream about the kx121 some day with a 6 way blade. I think I would use the heck out of a machine like that n

/ Kubota Mini Ex's #10  
Thanks everyone. Do you feel the KX71 is largest enough to handle a 36" bucket in softer material? I am just a little concerned that it maybe a bit small for building retaining walls, would love to find more info on peoples uses and experiences.

Look at the next size up KX91 I think. They are still nimble