What can they do?

/ What can they do? #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
I am confused by the sizing/model numbers of the Kubota Excavators. Is there a decoder ring that would guide me to finding the right size of machine for what I want to do. Mainly interested in cleaning up my fence lines around 137 acres, removing some hedge rows, shifting the stumps that might be in the 20" dia range, as well as some drainage work. How much machine would be required and how do I relate the kubota model number to what it can lift/break free, etc? Thanks in advance for whatever help is available. Bob

/ What can they do? #2  
only thing you can do is go to the website and look at their specs. This would be for the new models, ritchie specs might get you close on the older units.

/ What can they do? #3  
The -4 series has the base machine weight in metric tones as the model number.

Given what your doing, I'd look at a mid-range machine. U25-U35-KX71-KX91.

/ What can they do?
The -4 series has the base machine weight in metric tones as the model number.

Given what your doing, I'd look at a mid-range machine. U25-U35-KX71-KX91.

Thank You, Is there a guide line on how much weight you need for what you can lift/break free/shift?, (i.e. to lift a known weight such as one half of a metric ton, you need a machine that weighs X times as much?

Also, you mention the weight, what about the preceding letters, (i.e U and KX)?

/ What can they do? #5  
U is zero tail swing. KX has more of an overhang in the rear. From what I have read, the KX series offer greater stability than the zero swings, but I can't prove that. U's cost more, I believe. Home owner situation... go with the 71 or 91. The 121 is a big machine.

/ What can they do? #6  
If you go to the Kubota website and select the Mini Ex you are interested in they will have a SPEC tab under each model. Under that is a chart for each one that will show you what each machine will lift. The lift chart gives you info for the lift at different distances from the center line of the machine, the height and over the blade vs over the side.
The 71 and 91 are fairly close in size, 91 gives stronger breakout forces, a little more weight and a hair more digging depth but adds about 8-10k to the price tag. The 71 in my opinion seems to be a good value, good breakout forces, just a hair shy of 10' digging depth, and can be had for under 40K. As Steppenwolfe said the 121 is a big machine (with a LOT of power)

/ What can they do?
Thank You

/ What can they do? #8  
IF you can I would suggest that you rent a couple of size Kubota excavators and see what works best for you on your property. Price go up a lot as size increases. The bucket size you choose will be important too.

/ What can they do? #9  
You will be surprised at what a small excavator can do. You may not need as big a machine as you think. I think a rental unit for a weekend would be well worth the cost to determine what the small machines can do. Remember, as you get more proficient with the machine, you can do more with it, much more than a first time user.

/ What can they do? #10  
They are right, a smaller machine can do a lot of work. I rented a 7K machine last year and in 10 hrs:
Dug out a hill - 3' deep for about 40'
Cut a shallow 4' wide trench that was about 20' long in for my wife to use as a "dry river" in the landscaping
dug several 4' deep trenches for downspout drainage (not very long)
dug out 2 stumps that were about 15"
dug out one tree that was close to 80' and pushed it over
fixed a small retaining wall (had 2 blocks that were sort of sliding out so I pressed them back in with the Mini)
and a few other little things.
I was totally amazed at what I got done and this was my first time on a mini Ex (have owned and ran backhoes before)

This is the reason why I am looking to buy one - they are super handy! Expensive to buy but they do hold their value if you keep it up and are a major work saver.